5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Coffee red Coffee Grinder an instant hit at our house!
It works great! I place four hand fulls of coffee beans (to the max line) into the top and press the grind button and hold it down for a few seconds and PRESTO, very nicely ground coffee. Then I grind up another four hand fulls, placing the grinds into a plastic container. I do this about once a week.

There are some grounds left at the bottom of the grinder...
Published on November 5, 2009 by Machaon

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange design, useless features, won't die
Published on December 7, 2009 by B. Wade

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Coffee red Coffee Grinder an instant hit at our house!, November 5, 2009
This review is from: Mr. Coffee IDS76 Electric 12-Cup Coffee Grinder, Red (Kitchen)

There are some grounds left at the bottom of the grinder. With the unit unplugged, I just swish my finger around at the bottom and then tap the Mr. Coffee top into my plastic coffee grinds container, and Mr. Coffee is ready for another happy grind experience.

I LOVE it. My wife LOVES it. I don't expect it to download and play MP3s, just to grind coffee for me in a fun, clean way and it does just that. Plus...... it is an attractive coffee grinder. Looks nice on the counter.

Update 2/27/2012: We use this grinder frequently and it is still working great! It grinds up to ¾ of a cup of coffee beans. I use three, level, ¼-cup measures of coffee beans to fill the grinder because it is easier to scoop, three times, using the ¼ measure; and very quick; and I don't have to worry about whether or not the level of coffee beans exceeds the "max line".

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange design, useless features, won't die, December 7, 2009
B. Wade (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
So this grinder works consistently. I've never had trouble with motor, grind quality, etc. However, it's features (# of cups, grind quality) don't seem to make a difference. No matter the setting, you must still hold down the button until it reaches your desired consistency--so nothing automatic about it. Not a big problem there but the cup that hold the beans/grounds is cumbersome. There are little plastic ribs that do not remove and consequently all the grounds get caught in between. If you bang it on the side of the brew basket, grounds fly everywhere. The lid also gets in the way when trying to dump out the grounds. Since the lid doesn't detach, it flops awkwardly or re-latches creating yet another mess. On the bright side, I've had it over a year and use it whenever my preferred grinder dies. In fact, it was re-gifted to me because the previous owner didn't like it either! I like the Hamilton Beach hands-free grinder, but it only lasts about 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blade grinder!, May 2, 2010
I own this grinder (Mr. Coffee IDS76) for over 1 year and have been using it every day. We have owned many kinds of coffee grinders and mills in the past two decades, even including a hand-cranked unit. After balancing quality of coffee ground and maintenance requirement, we have come back to the grinder side over the coffee mills. This coffee grinder is a good balance, easy to operate, take the guessing out of the grinding, spinning side scraping mechanism to loosen all the coffee ground, washable cup, good-looking design, and durable. Compared to all other units I have owned, this one provides the best value. If you are like me who like to have a freshly ground cup of coffee without much fuss, this grinder is a very good option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disapointing! Save your money..., September 3, 2008
Tom Sanders "Tom Sanders" (Lansing, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
Sounds like a good deal, right? Adjustable grinds, self cleaning, cord storage in base, etc. Well, I find none of these features work well at all.
You can get the cord to re-wrap in the base, but it is so hard and there is so much friction on the cord pulling it through a sharp and narrow slot that the life of the cord will be minimal if you do it very often.
The adjustable grind is largely fictional...setting it at 4 cups and course grind produces a uniform powder nice for espresso. Stopping it short of its' automatic shut off produces a highly un-uniform grind that is far inferior to what you would get from the course setting on the grinder in your local store where you buy coffee. I see no way to use this for grinding coffee for my French Press coffee maker.
You spend all your time trying to line up all the things that screw together on it (container, top)...they do not do it easily.
The self cleaning feature does not get the coffee container clean in any shape or form, and makes cleaning it out with a brush very difficult.
It looks good, but it performs in the most awful way...still looking for a good coffee grinder...this is most emphatically not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely SUPERIOR! (and I've owned other grinders), March 30, 2009
After going through two different grinder types, I was fearful and hesitant when I purchased this one. I am, however, elated to report that I am absolutely delighted with this product! This purchase came after an earlier purchase of a rather large and expensive burr grinder that wouldn't permit the beans to fall properly so I actually had to hold the huge and clumsy machine tightly in both hands while it ground shaking it and dipping it to get beans to fall and grind. It became a physical and sweaty workout of at least two minutes every time I had to grind. The beans were always coarse, even at the fine setting which was unsuitable since I use a press.

When I bought this Mr. Coffee grinder I was UNCONCERNED about the shorter cord which is delibertly built this way to ensure safety; I plug in to use and unplug when I'm done and there is no long cord tangling or needing to be put away. What DID concern me was fast and fine bean grind. I was amazed that it took under 10 seconds (I don't fill to the top), and I am using way less coffee now to make my pot! The grind is fine and uniform and well suited to both press and expresso.

I no longer have to dread grinding in the morning when I'm still half asleep and the only workout is my finger pressing the start button. I'm also not concerned about the automatic shut off feature either since I'm going to lift my finger when I've decided I'm done (a relatively simple task).

I find that a few little taps get the bottom grinds out so it's not necessary to dismantle and clean (wash) every time you grind, though I do suppose some folks do. Wiping the bottom with a paper towel should be sufficient in between actual washings.

I am in heaven with this efficient and simple to use grinder although the muscles I'd built up from my last one are now receding.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A good coffee grinder for a good price, October 30, 2010
First I would like to advise people to ignore the other reviews complaining about the short cord length. The power cord actually wraps around inside the bottom base of the grinder and this feature is so well designed that you do not notice the extra cord at first. The wrap around cord feature is very nice in my opinion.

The grinder itself is also pretty durable I dropped the top half of the lid after washing it out once and while the lid did pop apart it easily poped back into place with no damage.

The grinder does a good job grinding coffee and the price is reasonable + the grinder looks cool unlike some of the other hideous grinders I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good grinder, March 14, 2010
This is very nice. The grind timer feature works (I wasn't sure it would). Self cleaning feature isn't as good as I expected. The bowl and lid remove easily and is handy for transferring coffee. Good price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice design for a blade grinder.., December 28, 2009
C. Wright (Mountain View, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The shape was similar to my old Mr. Coffee burr grinder, so at first disappointed it was a blade unit. However, this is well designed and thought out. You have to hold down the top until the timer stops the grinding. Good uniform grind. The bowl unit and top remove for cleaning under water, hooray, no more oily stinky coffee grinder. Note the align marks on the side to easily replace bowl and top. AT first I just spun it around to get it in place, but looking at the color notches makes it easy. Like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over Designed and Under Engineered, January 11, 2012
This looks great in the store, but once I got it home I quickly became disappointed. The main flaw in design are the four ribs inside the bowl. The beans grind very well, but these ribs trap about 25% of the grounds on a small batch. The good looking pour spout on the top is therefore just a work of art and is effectively useless. You have to remove the top and get your grounds out with a finger or knife. In my case, this left a mess on the counter top.

A much better option is the Hamilton Beach 80344 Custom Grind 15 Cup Coffee Grinder. It's a much simpler design with all the custom settings you need. Just bought one here and I really like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Grinder, November 15, 2010
A grinder is a grinder - let's face it. I have used this product daily for several weeks and have found no "downs" here. It works well, grinds up the coffe, and matches my red coffee maker. Maybe my expectations weren't very high - but I love this product.

Rate and Discover Movies