4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! It actually works.
This coffee grinder was an impulse purchase and I was fully prepared to return it because I didn't expect it to work as advertised. To my astonishment, the darned thing actually does a pretty good job. I have tried several coffee grinders over the years and have ended up giving all of them away to friends and family. I gave up on burr grinders because they are messy, hard...
Published on October 26, 2006 by JoeM

1.0 out of 5 stars Chamber Cleaning System
My husband purchased this product for my birthday a couple of years ago. I always grind my own coffee for breakfast and sometimes grind it for lunch. After a year I noticed the plastic arms (or scrapers) were getting very thin and one of them had even broken. I emailed customer service about the problem and they sent me a new grinding bowl. I looked at the new bowl, saw...
Published on February 7, 2010 by coffeelover

‹ Previous | 1 2 371 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the price, July 17, 2006
This review is from: Mr. Coffee IDS77 Electric Coffee Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System, Black (Kitchen)
I hadn't really planned on buying a grinder but I added this to an order so I could get the $25 house and kitchenwares discount and I'm glad that I did.

It's not easy to find an inexpensive model that lets you select the grind. This one lets you select fine, medium or coarse which is all I need. More expensive models have more choices, most of which would never be used so why pay for them?

It's very easy to use. The manual tells you how many tablespoons of coffee to use depending on how many cups you are making and what grind to use depending on what kind of coffeemaker you use. Of course, you can adjust the amount to your taste. The unit lets you select the grind and number of cups and grinds accordingly... stopping automatically at the appropriate time depending on your selections.

The real test for me is not having any grinds in the last cup I pour from the pot. So far I've only tried the medium grind for my automatic drip coffeemaker. Perfect.

Cleanup is easy too. All in all, a great buy for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Mr Coffee, coffee bean grinder., September 7, 2008
This is the 3rd coffee grinder I have gone through in the past year since I started grinding my own coffee beans. With the first 2 grinders the motors failed, both within a very short period of time. Up to this point My Mr Coffee grinder has worked very well. It is a lot quieter then the other two and it seems I get a better grind. It must be because this grinder offers 3 different settings for grinding. I get a more consistent grind with this grinder especially in the morning when I've forgotten tho grind my coffee beans he night before. Not real impressed with the Chamber maid cleaning system, although I get less waste, for me that is not a big issue. I think I have had this grinder for about 5 months without any break downs. I still need more time to say this product is absolutely superior over the other two,it certainly was less expensive of the three grinders. I also think that the white and black one should have been offered for the same price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sabotage?, March 11, 2008
I have disliked other grinders because they trap so much of the ground coffee and they make a mess when trying to empty and clean. I bought this grinder primarily because it had a pouring spout and a cleaning device for the sides of the chamber. This was worse for emptying and cleaning than any other because the pouring spout and side-cleaning device trapped even more grounds than others. I could only think that the designers had deliberately done this to sabotage the brand! How is it possible that the company allowed this to get on the market without testing? Eventually, I learned to NOT use the pouring spot for emptying grounds -so it no longer traps them. The biggest improvement came after REMOVING the cleaning device with wire clippers! NOW I really enjoy this grinder because it grinds to my satisfaction, detaches from the motor portion, empties easily, cleans and even washes easily.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent grind equals bitter coffee, July 26, 2010
Jennifer D. (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this blade grinder on its good reviews several months ago. It's convenient, reasonably quiet, and I like the "Chambermaid Cleaning System," which is just this piece of plastic that you rotate to get the extra grinds out. Some reviewers thought this was useless but I found it to be much more effective than tapping for removing those last grinds.

Unfortunately, I can't get a decent cup of french press or drip coffee out of it to save my life! The reason is that, even on the coursest setting, the grinder produces too many "fines"--tiny specks of coffee powder that brew faster than the larger grounds. These specks are quickly over-extracted, which produce the characteristic burnt or bitter flavor of bad coffee. If you're like my grandfather you might not notice, since he thinks that's what coffee's *supposed* to taste like.

If you make espresso, this grinder might be OK but if you're planning to use it for drip or french press, do yourself a favor and get a burr grinder or grind your coffee at the store.

P.S. You could also use the cold-brew method to brew coffee with this grinder. I didn't realize the Mr. Coffee was bad for hot brewing until only recently because I almost exclusively brew cold. Leave equal parts water and coffee in a jar at room temp overnight. Strain the resulting concentrate and add hot milk or water to taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, less messy, January 9, 2009
Kay (Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have this grinder over 2.5 years. It works fine consistently. Before this one, I always hated to make a mess with a grinder-open plastic cup part, spill some, and lift the whole thing and tap it upside down over the coffee machine...NOT with this one. You can just twist upper part, lid attached, and bring it to the coffee machine. I am buying the second one for my work now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very good for coarse grind, July 26, 2010
I like that it's got detachable parts for easy cleaning. The price is good and it's reasonably attractive. I bought it mainly for coarse grounds for my french press--it's not particularly good for that. The coarse setting produces grounds that are a little too fine and not very consistent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Grinder, December 27, 2007
Y. Ho "Yifong" (Budd Lake, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Recently, my Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee unit broke and I decided to go for the coffee grinder because the Cuisinart Grind and Brew model tends to have problems. I looked at various grinder and finally decided to purchase this one. Unlike the conventional model, the top unit of the grinder house can be detached for cleaning and puring the ground coffee into the coffee maker filter easily. When I set the unit for medium grinding setting, I can use less coffee in comparison to the use of my Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee unit. And the good thing is that the power is not too fine to pass thru the filter either. If you have a black color coffee maker, it will fit very well with it. The grinder is not loud when it operates. Overall, I am very pleased with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby Grinder!, July 9, 2010
I got this to grind fresh coffee each morning... and it worked! Only used the normal grind (no expresso) with no problems. Love that it goes into the dishwasher. I cant compare to other grinders because this is the only one I have owned, with no complaints.

Yes, you do need to shake out the left over coffee stuck inside, but its no big deal.

Yes, it makes noise to grind, but dont they all?

My favorite part...
I needed to grind some baby food, so I used the coffee grinder, and ooooh lala.... gave me yummy baby food. I only ground it just enough to get it like a #2 gerber - which was great.
So if you already own one of these, no need tu run out and get a baby food grinder!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great..., April 27, 2009
The "Chamber Maid Cleaning System" is useless. When I bought it I thought it was pretty cool but arms don't do a good job of scraping along the grinder walls.

The cord is really short and what they call the cord storage area is ridiculous. It's a huge pain to wrap the cord up into the little slot they provide in the base of the grinder.

The auto grinding feature doesn't go a very good job of grinding. Used it twice and went to doing it manually. Since you have to hold the button down anyway didn't feel like much of a convenience loss.

Flip top lid and pour spout only serve to help you spill more grounds.

Only good thing was that it comes apart which allows you to wash it with soap and water.

Used this for two weeks. Got rid of it and bought a simple Krups Fast touch grinder. Much happier with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice features, but do not buy, April 3, 2012
Richard Braun (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit on 31 Jan 2012 at a local Target store. It's a nice product, with auto shutoff and easy-clean grinding chamber. However, after about 20 uses, it abruptly shut off only 5 seconds into its usual 15-second grind.

The manual's troubleshooting section suggests that the "thermal fuse is broken" from an overheated motor, and states that the only recourse is authorized Sunbeam service center. Although the unit has a 1-year warranty, for a $20 item it's just not worth the time to pursue warranty service. So I searched online in vain for DIY repair instructions. (Turns out a lot of people have run into this same failure.) Then, I decided that for the benefit of others who might be tempted to do their own repair, I'd sacrifice my unit and post my findings here.

This failure occurred when the motor hadn't been running for long and the base was not warm to the touch. So I believe the manufacturer has specified an insufficient fuse, and/or should redesign the unit with a circuit breaker or automatic-reset fuse.

Here goes with the technical repair info: You open the unit from the TOP, not the obvious-looking plastic cover on the bottom. There are 3 Phillips-head screws hidden underneath plastic caps located in wells around the inside perimeter of the bowl seen when you take the grinding chamber off. To get those caps out, you need to whack them sideways with hammer and screwdriver from the side closest to the center, forcing them outward and up. Obviously the manufacturer never intended them to be removed (and never considered the possibility that blown fuses could aggravate consumers).

Once the screws are removed, you can lower the base off the unit far enough to see a hex nut holding the circuit board in place (behind the front control panel). Remove this nut with needlenose or a socket wrench. On the underside of this circuit board is the offending fuse. I have yet to be certain which device it is, but I believe it's a copper-colored cylinder 4mm long and labeled Z01.

The part may or may not be readily available from third parties, but there are no published tech specs and the manufacturer does not sell replacement parts. Life is too short to chase down warranty service on poorly-designed devices. I rate this product Do Not Buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 371 | Next ›