Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mr. Coffee JWX27-NPA 12-Cup Progammable Coffeemaker, Black
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon July 27, 2009
I purchased the Mr. Coffee JWX27 to replace an old, old programmable Mr. Coffee coffeemaker. I picked the JWX27 because it has stainless steel trim, the appearance of which I like, but it doesn't have a thermal carafe that a lot of the stainless brewers have and I don't want, and it is reasonably priced. My old brewer wasn't anything fancy to look at, but it started up in the morning on its own and it made good coffee. This new model has several "improvements" that actually take away from the simple, useful appliance the old one was.

First, the water filter. This is a piece of filtering material in a frame that lays on top of the brew basket. You have to pivot the water head away from over the brew basket and pick up the filter gadget to get to the basket to put your coffee in it. I plan to throw this junky thing away. It's a messy, annoying contraption that is just getting on the way of setting up the coffeemaker and I have some serious doubts about its effectiveness since it looks like it's made of paper. Additionally, if you're trying to brew a second pot quickly after the first, it's hot!

Speaking of the brew basket, rather than sitting in a separate assembly that pivots in and out over the carafe, to get to the basket on the JWX27, you have to flip open lid of the brewing machine. Once you get the water filter out of the way, there are some little loops to pull the basket out by, but it's not as neat as past designs that had a handle on the side to lift out the basket for dumping used filters/coffee grounds.

On the positive side, the clock and start timer are easy to set and are easy to understand how to brew immediately or brew at a programmed time. I have no need for the timer that can tell me how long the brewed coffee has been sitting, but it doesn't make itself annoying in any way, so no problem with it. The heating element turns itself off after two hours, which is peace of mind for when you are sitting at your desk at work wondering "did I turn off the coffeepot?" and worrying that you'll burn the house down.

The "pause 'n serve" function is still there for when you can't wait for a pot to finish up before getting that first cup of coffee into your cup but if I could figure out how to remove or disable the irritating beeper that goes off when the brew cycle is done, I'd totally do it. I live in a small house and when my coffee is ready at 5:00 AM, the rest of my family doesn't need to be woken up by Mr. Coffee obnoxiously announcing himself!

The JWX27 has a feature to switch between "regular" and "strong" brewing, and set on "strong", the resulting coffee (when I brew my usual 4 cups rather than a full pot) I get a nice strong "wake you up in the morning" brew.

In conclusion, my overall impression is that the Mr. Coffee JWX27 has a host of features that actually take away from the utility and ease of use that the basic no-frills Mr. Coffee design has but in spite of the unnecessary (from my perspective) annoyances, it makes a decent pot of coffee for a reasonable price.
55 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2009
I don't actually drink coffee, but I gave this coffeemaker to my parents for Christmas -- and I took a long time to choose one at that time. Dad wanted a glass carafe which he could fit his hand into (in case it needed a scrub), an auto shutoff, and a timer feature so the brew would be ready for him upon waking. And he didn't want ten million controls which he would never use. It's gotten daily use since then (in addition to a few cups of coffee every morning, the carafe and basket have been put through the dishwasher every two or three days, and the cleaning cycle is used just about every day) and we've never had a problem. I didn't even know it came with a special filter, as the other reviewer noted, but Dad wouldn't have used it anyway -- he was old school. Mom and Dad always said the coffee tasted perfect. I am buying one now myself to have on hand for when Mom visits.
on January 12, 2011
So many negative reviews for this unit but the majority of them are negative for stupid reasons! I purchased this unit to replace a crappy $65 Hamilton-Beach maker with an insulated carafe that was impossible to clean and made terrible coffee. My new Mr Coffee unit is easy to set up (seriously, add water, a filter and coffee then flip the spout over and press start, how is that too complicated???) and so far it makes a great cup of coffee. I purchased a permanent filter which only needs to be rinsed out after each use. The carafe and filter basket are incredibly easy to take out and clean in the sink. I have never used the automatic timer on any coffee maker before, never needed to. Bottom line, for the price this is a great coffee maker that is easy to set up and clean, plus makes a great cup of coffee!
on September 12, 2011
Water heats to a temp high enough to make good coffee. This coffee maker is a good value for the price.
on January 5, 2015
I bought two coffee makers in March mine died in November and it was replaced. Replacement lasted three weeks. The other one I purchased for my daughter started spewing hot water. When I called customer service they were rude and hung up on me. They initially refused to address the warranty issue with my daughter because we were not the owners. This is a 100% failure rate, three for three. I seriously recommend purchasing a different brand.
on August 15, 2013
In short, would I buy this coffeemaker again? Yes. But would I recommend someone research others at similar price points to avoid those small design flaws others have mentioned? Yes.

I've had this for going on three years and it makes a great cup. I use it every day. But the dripping out of the brewer when you remove the carafe is annoying. And the pouring out of the carafe does somehow manage to slightly drip from the spout. Despite it all, I still really enjoy the coffeemaker and the cup it produces.

So all in all, if you get this for a great price somewhere, go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but for 38 bucks I'm sure you can one that doesn't have those minor gaffes.
on March 28, 2016
Would prefer a cone shaped filter, the basket style often collapses spilling grinds into your fresh pot. : / However, it makes good hot coffee fairly quickly, and has the all important timer so that you can set it to brew 15 minutes before your alarm and wake up to a fresh hot pot!
on February 25, 2011
This coffeemaker is exactly what it claims to be, a basic function, sturdy and reliable drip brewer. We have been very happy with the ease of use, quality of coffee and general features (timer and strong brew options). We've had no leaks and it looks great in the kitchen. We also like the audible warning, not only when the pot is done, but when the burner is shutting off.

The mid-pot function is far better than other brewers we've owned. It doesn't drip when you try to get a cup mid-brew.

Our only concern is mechanical - there is a swing-arm that has to be moved and replaced with every pot brewed. It is our concern that someday this part may leak or even break. So far, we have not seen anything to indicate that it will, but it is a mechanical part that we feel could have been designed right out of the thing. So far, as I said, we are very happy with it.
on November 5, 2014
Followed the set-up instructions that was enclosed and never tasted or smelled plastic like the other reviewers complained about.

I like the regular / strong setting and also the very large top cover making it easy to pour in the water without spilling.
on August 30, 2013
My last Mr Coffee coffeemaker lasted me 2 1/2 years, and as i'm single and not the best at regularly cleaning things it may have been my fault the machine crashed and burned, but it was a faithful friend for all that time. Priced out a new one and this same coffeemaker appeared to be the best value for my needs. I'll do my best to keep it a little cleaner this time and maybe it will last longer. If you're looking for a 12 cup programmable coffeemaker this Mr. Coffee is great!