Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: black|Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:$9.39+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on December 15, 2005
As with everything, I went on a search of all mug warmers in the universe before buying this one. I found a universal complaint of ALL mug warmer reviewers (of any brand) was "doesn't get hot enough" (especially the USB models). I think the manufacturers walk a thin line between "doesn't get hot enough" and setting the house on fire.

Initially, I tried putting a cold cup of coffee upon my new Mr. Coffee and was disappointed in the warmer's ability to heat up an already cold cup of coffee. (tried both metal and ceramic mug)

The good news is that if you put a fresh hot cup of coffee right from the coffee maker onto the "burner" that it does a pretty good job in keeping it hot from that point. I review this as satisfactory performance and give extra credit for its slim and sleek design.
2222 comments| 1,252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2006
I bought my Mr. Coffee mug warmer locally at a store. I wasn't expecting much out of it because of the reviews about it here on Amazon, but hey it was really cheap, under ten bucks. I was pleasantly surprised at how it kept my cup of tea consistently very warm throughout the day while I'm at work. This is how hot the heating plate can get: put a drop or two of water on it, and the drops will sizzle and evaporate quickly. The key to getting the best experience out of using the Mr. Coffee mug warmer is to use with a cup of HOT tea/coffee/soup/whatever. It won't make your cold beverage hot again (use a microwave for that).
22 comments| 535 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2007
I've had it for several months now, using it daily, and it's performed very well! Here is the deal with temperatures. If you place a hot cup of tea/coffee on it, it keeps it hot! Not the burn your tongue hot. As you drink, the cup becomes less full, and actually heats the contents more. Also, I've placed a half full cup of cold coffee on it, and it heated it up to a nice warm temperature within a few minutes. The heating plate will accommodate larger coffee mugs. The only disadvantage I've noticed with it is the counter gets rather warm were it is placed, so keep flammables and paper away to be safe. Also it does not have a auto shutoff that I'm aware of, however I have it plugged into a power box with motion control, so if I leave my desk for a long period it will shut off. I also try to make sure the bottom of my mug is dry before setting the cup down on it, to keep the heating plate clean. So if your like me and like sipping on tea or coffee at the office, with out going to refill for a hot cup every time your liquids get cold, then you'll be happy with this warmer.
22 comments| 457 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
I bought this to keep my tea warm I figured I could use it on the cup but actually decided to try it on the pot I have a small 24oz pot and I sip on tea all day and it stays quite hot to where I have to let it cool a bit before I can drink it hot.
review image
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2007
I don't know why so many people have trouble with this item. My mother-in-law gave this to me well over a month ago and I think it's the greatest thing since TIVO. The key is to use a regular size cup with a flat bottom (not the ginormous ceramic cups that are more like SOUP bowls and only have a tiny bottom), and to put it on the warmer as soon as you pour the coffee into the cup. It WILL keep it not just warm, but HOT. It is 3:30 in the afternoon right now and I am still sipping on a HOT cup of coffee that I poured at 8:00 this morning. The lower the liquid gets, the hotter it gets, so be careful. I've also found that putting a piece of paper over the cup (like a piece of junk mail or an old CD case--without the CD inside, of course) will infinitely increase the heat factor, though it's not too safe and really isn't necessary (I've done it a few times when the dogs were shedding and my husband wanted the ceiling fans on - didn't want dog hair in my cup, so I covered it...and it was so hot I burned my tongue.) Regardless, this item (the Mr. Coffee Mug *WARMER*) is not meant to heat up cold liquids; that's what microwaves were invented for. This is a great product when used properly and at the very least, it does what it was intended to do: keep beverages warm.
66 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2014
OK, I read a number of the reviews posted here before purchasing this mug warmer, and did a little research to check what the power used (wattage) was supposed to be. The manufacturers seem to want to keep this a mystery for some reason -- all of them. There were reports that this Mr Coffee device had the same wattage rating as other similar mug warmers that had decent feedback ratings. So, I decided to try it. The power number mentioned was 17 watts, which sounds about right for a device this size. The watts of power generated is THE most important characteristics of any heat producing device and this Mr Coffee mug warmer seems to live up to the purported 17 Watt rating.

They don't put any power or energy information anywhere on the packaging material and there is no information in the small instructions pamphlet either but the bottom off the device says: "120 V 60 Hz 17 W", so, 17 watts it is.

Now, if this electrical device consumes around 17 watts, you can assume some of the heat energy is lost to the table and the edges of the plastic housing and if you put your hands around the device, there is some loss there and my desk beneath does get a little warm. So, clearly 17 watts is not going into the cup. But for such a simply made device, like all the others I see advertised too, it appears to generate a majority of the heat energy at the indented area where the cup will sit.

And by the way, the heating are where a mug sits is 3-1/4 inches in diameters -- which will accommodate some pretty big mugs.

The depressed area where your coffee mug sits gets noticeably warmer than the sides of the device. It is hot but not so hot I can't touch it. I wouldn't want to hold my fingers there for very long but it's not like its glowing red. It's touchable.

So, I took it out of the packaging, plugged it in, set a cup of coffee on it, and did a little work -- like maybe twenty minutes.

The coffee was a bit cold to start, not even cool, and when I picked the mug up a little later the coffee was warm, the mug was warm..

The mug warmer doesn't heat it to a hot coffee temperature but check it's name -- it isn't supposed to. It "warms" the coffee.

As a couple of reviews pointed out, the manufacturers are skirting the boundary of generating enough heat to make it dangerous to be left heating on a desk. You can't have a relatively small, inexpensive plastic device have a red-hot burner on it, not when it's intended use is sitting next to my monitor amidst piles of note and maybe near a textbook or two.

If you want really hot coffee, clear a space on your desk and get a true hot plate with which you can also fry bacon. Or get a small stand to hold a microwave. After all that, I was quite pleased with how effective it was in "warming" a drink.

If you want it to make your coffee hot hot, you will be disappointed. If you want your coffee to stay warm, it does it's duty.
review image
on August 14, 2011
I bought this to supplement an aging Salton Hot Spot model. The Salton worked okay, but I needed a second warmer. Unfortunately, the Mr Coffee produces disappointing results. Hot coffee becomes warm coffee on this unit. Being a forensic engineer, I was prompted to do some testing to determine what might be the problem.

Both units were tested unloaded (i.e. with no cup), and then loaded with a ceramic mug filled with room temp water. Here are the stats:

Salton: 23 watts, 260 deg-F unloaded temp, 245 degree with full cup.
Mr. Coffee: 17 watts, 226 deg-F unloaded, 180 degree with full cup.

So it appears that the Mr Coffee is a bit underpowered--it has a lower (albeit safer) starting temperature that can't be maintained under load. Once loaded, the surface temp is too low for useful heat transfer. Perhaps the Salton's design was guided by an engineer, while the Mr Coffee was guided by an attorney.
1414 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2008
We've been looking for a cup-warmer that would actually work...the usb-powered type just didn't have enough power, so we returned them to the local store. What really won this particular model is the fact that someone wrote in their review of this product, "...a drop of water on it sizzles." So we gave it a try; sure enough, a drop of water on it sizzles, the coffee stays warm, and we're happy we got it. It works best with flat-bottomed glass/ ceramic cups, but it will also do something for cups/ mugs that have a ridge around the bottom edge. It will work for an 8- to 14-oz. mug, but it works best with the 8-oz.
All that being said, here are a couple of satisfied customers who recommend the product we just acquired.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2009
This product is perfect. It does exactly what it claims to do...keeps your beverage warm. It won't be boiling hot, but it will be at a drinkable temperature until you are done. The chord is long enough and gives a decent range of use. I like to sip the same cup of coffee for hours while I am working, reading or studying and now I never have to microwave it again. I have noticed that it doesn't do as good of a job when the mug is full, but the end of the cup will be quite hot. Well worth the price.
33 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2015
I use it to heat my coffee overnight and it becomes that, burn my table with a big hole, thanks god that I'm still alive as well as my house
review image review image