5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker!
First off; water does NOT leak from the back. There are two small vents just above the 12 cup mark which will allow overflow to spill out for safety reasons. If you're getting a water overflow, that means you OVER FILLED it.

Published on October 17, 2007 by MagnoliaSouth

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Crappy
Published on April 12, 2006 by Mohenek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker!, October 17, 2007
This review is from: Mr. Coffee TFX20 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, White (Kitchen)

That said, I didn't have too many needs when I purchased this item. I needed something cheap, and one that I could preset a brew time. I got this one on sale at Target (not my choice of stores, but I just happened to be there) for $25. I've had it now for over a month and it has worked very well for my needs.

I only buy fresh coffee beans, so I cannot say how tasty the coffee is for a drip coffee maker, but it works perfect for my freshly ground beans.

There is only one problem I can identify. For some reason, a small amount of ground up coffee overflows into the canister beneath the basket which holds the filter. Occasionally I even find a very few grounds into the water chamber as well. So far, to date, I've not gotten any into the actual pot, but there is something about the way the water drips that is causing this overflow.

I did however figure out a trick that has helped reduce this behavior. Instead of piling coffee into a mountain in the filter, I even it out to a flat bed of coffee. Perhaps I should've been doing that all along, but it was never a problem until I got this particular machine.

Overall I'm very pleased with this coffee maker and am happy with my purchase.

Pros
Preset brew time works perfect, quickly makes coffee, results are tasty, great price.

Cons
Grounds sometimes found outside of filter basket, but can be fixed as noted above.

The Bottom Line
This coffee maker brews quickly, is easy to use, can be preset for brew times and makes good coffee too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee maker at a great price, June 19, 2008
I've had this coffee maker over a year now, because my parents got tired of visiting and using my 4-cup pot. I think this coffee maker is great! I buy regular pre-ground coffee at the store, and I actually think the coffee from this maker tastes better than the one a friend of mine has that cost over $100.

That being said, I'm not too picky when it comes to coffee, so that could have an effect on the way I think it tastes. Otherwise, I have no problems with the maker. As has been said in other reviews, I have also seen the grounds get into the basket, but this hasn't yet been a problem with grounds in the actual pot. I also level out the coffee, so maybe that's why. I've never had water leak from the back. I do have some coffee on the counter after I pour, but I've had this problem with lots of other coffee makers, not just this one. And, it does drip onto the heating element, but since I keep a paper towel there under the spoon, I just wipe it up before I put the pot back on.

The program feature is really handy, since I am not a morning person. I have never had to reset the time unless I wanted to change the time or had to because of daylight savings.

Overall, I think this is an excellent coffee maker for someone not looking for anything more than a good coffee maker. Also, this was one of the top picks on America's Test Kitchen, if anyone is concerned with that! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great for Me, June 12, 2008
milwtom "Thomas Misialek" (Crown Point, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this coffee maker now for two weeks and I haven't had a problem with it. Works great for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and Decker replacement, May 17, 2008
I bought this to replace my Black and Decker which lasted 3 months. Pours very well. Brews rapidly. This is a good coffee maker for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I just know how to pour coffee, April 2, 2007
kelson_atrian (Prior Lake, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Maybe I just know how to pour coffee, but I have no problem with coffee spilling out of the pot. I also have not had a problem with leaking from the back. Maybe since I know that I shouldn't keep pouring the water once it hits the holes in the back. My machine doesn't leak. I admit I might have gotten lucky and bought the only one in America that doesn't leak, but...

I do know that this pot brews one of the best tasting cups of coffee I've ever had. I have not been happy with other Mr. Coffee coffee makers, especially stay away from the Grind and Brew, but this one just plain works.

And it is inexpensive. That's always a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffee Maker, February 5, 2009
I have been using my Mr. Coffee maker & haven't had 1 bit of mess. My buttons work, no leakage anywhere & no drips while pouring. I take my time while getting my coffee ready & I carefully push the unit back to the wall after filling it with water & I slowly pour my coffee into my cup. It's easy to use, it makes hot coffee & it looks great (I got the black version). I have no complaints about this coffee maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, February 23, 2009
ladydenae (Fort Wayne, IN) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered this coffeemaker, and so far so good! It works quickly and quietly, the time and delay start are easy to set, and it makes a great cup of coffee.

Contrary to popular opinion, the machine does not leak, and the carafe design isn't much different than most. If you actually pay a little attention to what you're doing, you'll be fine. Also, if you leave the coffeemaker plugged into the wall, it does keep the times you set (both the clock and the delay start). You just need to turn the delay function on each time you want to use it (one press of a button).

Great coffeemaker for a simple cup of coffee. Works like a charm!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Crappy, April 12, 2006
Do not waste your $30.00. I purchased this coffee maker 6 months ago & threw it out this past weekend. I purchased this because I thought I was buying a reliable coffee maker with a reliable brand name. It leaks all over the counter. When you poor your coffee it leaks from the carafe. It drips coffee all over the warming plate, then proceeds to sizzle and stinks your kitchen up with the smell of burning coffee. If you enjoy coffee all over your counters, then perhaps you will like this coffee maker. If not, then spend your money elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Designed to break, September 18, 2009
N.W. (Sacramento) - See all my reviews
This product is the poster child of a product that is designed to break after being used for a relatively short period of time. After a year or so of normal use, I found that I could no longer turn the coffee pot on. After fiddling with it for a short period of time, most people would toss it and go out and buy a replacement. I took it apart, however (the manufacturer was clever enough to replace two of the six phillips-bit screws with torx-bit screws and hide them under the rubber feet which once again would have prevented their dirty secret from being discovered from someone less prepared) and I found that they offset the power switch a quarter of an inch side of the external button, and glued an activating arm to the external button so it would press the power switch. Naturally, such a flimsy arrangement would break off in short order. Looking at the curcuit board shows absolutely no practical reason to set it up that way (it would have actually increased their manufacturing costs by a couple of pennies) other than to design a product that you would be forced to replace after a year or so of normal, daily use.

I won't be buying another Mr. Coffee product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk!, January 5, 2007
"Mr.Coffee" used to be a good name in coffee makers, but not any more. I have to wonder who designed this piece of junk. Right out of the box (brand new), a plastic seam on the back of the machine was not sealed properly and instantly leaked. My husband sealed it back together with a dab of crazy glue to save the trip back to the store... but this was just the beginning of the problems with this coffee maker. In the back of the machine where you pour the water, there are two large holes to prevent you from filling past the "12 cup" range - however, the placement of these holes makes it impossible to pour any amount of water into the back of the machine without parts of it streaming out of these holes onto your counter. The carafe itself is so oddly shaped that you can not pour coffee out of it at a normal rate- you must intentionally concentrate and pour it as slowly as possible, or it will overwhelm the odd-shaped lid and spill and drip all over the place. It's as if the carafe was designed for everything except pouring coffee out of! The "sneak-a-cup" feature, designed to stop the flow of coffee for a moment so you can grab a cup mid-brew, is a total joke. It's doesn't even work slightly - it flat out doesn't work at all. This coffee maker is hard to clean, hard to use, and brews EXTREMELY slow. It's just a piece of junk all the way around- don't waste your money.