Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on February 25, 2015
Mr. Buddy Heater
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
ITEM #: F232000 Model #: MH9BX

Hmmm, Where do I start with this little gem? This item deserves more than 5 stars, its very rare that you purchase a product and it exceeds all your expectations

My first time using this was on a Klondike Derby in a 10' x 10' EZ-Up tent with attached sides.
Outside temp was hoovering around 30 degrees and was a bit cloudy.
The heater worked flawlessly and kept the interior comfortable enough for a heavy shirt or sweater.

My second time using the Mr. Buddy was on our winter trip February 20-22 2015. This is where I realized it was truly a great product.
The Mr. Heater Portable Buddy was used in an 8 man Alaskan Guide Tent from Cabelas, the outside temp hit a low of -8°F.
The heater worked well enough to warm the tent enough to sit in a light jacket.
I was using refilled Propane Tanks, although I ordered the Mr. Buddy (NO FILTER REQUIRED) hose, Mr. Heater Buddy Series Hose Assembly - 10-ft., Model# F273704 we used the one pound propane bottles instead. I refilled a bunch using aMr. Heater F276172 Propane One Pound Tank Refill Adapter

We had another heater, the Mr. Heater Big Buddy, Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater ITEM #: F274865 Model #: MH18B that we hooked to a 30 pound propane tank.
Between these two heaters the "Portable Buddy" on low at 4,000 Btu's and the "Big Buddy" on medium at 9,000 Btu's the tent stayed toasty warm all weekend.
We even took the "Portable Buddy" to a portapotti and heated the portapotti up to, "Do the 2".

I felt comfortable leaving both of these heaters on when we slept, in fact we were stuck in the tent from Friday afternoon till Sunday morning and these were never shut off, we also ran a propane lantern on low at night and used a Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove for hot beverages and cooking.

We had a carbon monoxide detector in the tent and it never once beeped, even after frying some porterhouse steaks and as load of potatoes.

The Mr. Buddy Series heaters make no sound at all, has zero smell, are easy to use and are incredibly efficient.
The piezo ignition works well, but I want to point out one thing, if the heater is pitched back slightly, the pilot will not light the propane , this is due to the angle of the ceramic, just make sure its on a flat surface. I would just tilt the heater slightly forward to ignite the propane.
Tanks screw in with a little push to push through the seal in the propane, the fact that the connection swivels out makes changing out tanks easy.
review image
0Comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2012
I bought two of these heaters a year ago for emergencies and they have been sitting in their box ever since. But, when hurricane Sandy knocked out power, they more than paid for themselves. I got them for winter storms and never thought I'd be using them in cold weather after a hurricane. They worked exactly as advertised. These are not whole house heaters. They are great room heaters and make life much more comfortable in an emergency. They have several safety features but I also have a carbon monoxide detector that I keep in the room with them. It's probably like wearing suspenders and a belt but it makes me more comfortable to have a detector as an extra safety precaution. In my emergency supplies I also have a camp stove and lantern. These all take the same one pound propane bottles. I keep a case of the gas bottles on hand. This gives me heat, light, and hot coffee in the morning. I don't like it when the electric goes out but I try to get into the camping trip mentality and make the most out of an uncomfortable situation. These heaters helped me do that and stay comfortable.
1919 comments| 686 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2012
Mr. Heater sure heats up a room, and it works fast, too. The only problem is that the portable propane canisters don't last long; only about 6 hours on low and 3 on high. With the 20-lb tank and connecter, it's a 5-star product.
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2011
If you fulltime in an RV, you know about cold days & nights. Maybe you want to warm the bedroom before showering, or maybe you want to warm your tootsies while watching DWTS. This "Portable Buddy" will do the trick for short bursts of heat.

I'm amazed to say the sides & bottom remained cool to the touch ("cool" as in room temp) after a full hour of use. Of note: it didn't heat a glass of cold water touching its side. Indeed, the LP can on the other side got cold enough to attract condensate! No gas smell during use.

It includes an oxygen sensor among its multiple failsafes -- but take care when using it in an RV bedroom. If you put it on a dresser, it could melt your ceiling. Also, your bedroom will heat up VERY quickly, so please don't leave it unattended.

Disposable LP cans cost a lot, but right now I only plan to use it for spot applications. In the future, though, I'll look at a refillable 4lb tank to make it cheap to operate.
1111 comments| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2010
Got this to use in my tent on a scout camping trip and it works great. Only pain is changing the small propane bottle in the middle of the night when it runs out! Probably worth getting the optional connectors to hook it up to a bigger tank.
66 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2012
Safety first: Never leave this heater unattended when operating, and never use it in a confined space without at least one carbon monoxide detector nearby.

I bought this at a local retailer two days before Sandy arrived on the East Coast. I figured, even if we lost power, and it didn't get cold, I would leave it in the box and might return it.

Well...We lost power. And it got cold, quick. It was a wise purchase.

Shortly after firing this heater up, my wife, who is always cold, threw off the covers, saying, "Now I'm too hot." The room we used it in is in the 200-year-old section of the house with old drafty windows. So we had plenty of "ventilation" with 50mph sustained winds and higher gusts, yet the infrared / heat this heater throws out was enough to make the room as warm as we needed it. I turned it down to Low after about 20 minutes, and then Off before bed. We didn't shut the doors of the room to the hallway and the adjacent room, because I wasn't sure if it would generate fumes or an odor, and I was also concerned about the fact that it does consume oxygen / emit carbon dioxide. It did emit fumes, but only for the first few minutes of use, which is to be expected with a brand new unit. The temperature inside was probably in the low 60s, upper 50s when we turned it on. After half an hour, it was closer to the upper 60s, low 70s. The room measures about 12'x18'.

The following night, I drove the Buddy to my grandmother's apartment, and warmed up her place noticeably within less than an hour. It did not produce any fumes or odor. Luckily, the power came on while I was there, so I didn't have to leave it with her.

I've since decided the old kerosene heater is too dangerous and too inconvenient. I will be purchasing at least one more of these, probably the Big Buddy, along with the fuel filter, to use with a tank and hose. These are great. I have memories of the old kerosene heater and its fumes, that frankly I wish I could forget. This will help!
44 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
I have been using a portable heater for the Green House to keep things at 48 degrees when the temperatures go below that;however, the lowest heat raises the temperature to 66 at 40 degrees and the middle setting bring the temperature from 34 to 75 degrees. I needed something dependable and 4,000 BTU and 9,000 BTU might just heat my green house, 12 feet by 12 feet, and not caused any leaf yellowing or bloom drop.
It was the answer.
The Heater is well made, enamel and should not give me any rust problems. It is light in weight, about 2.5 lbs, and has a low oxygen alarm and will turn off if the stove turns over. I hook it up to a propane gas hose with a leak detector on the propane tank. Turning on the heater is a breeze. I move the dial from shut to pilot light, and push down the dial which gives a spark and the pilot lite goes on. I count to 30 and move the dial to the low setting. The ceramic plate turns to a faint pink glow and I wait a minute to make sure it does not go out. I get about 5 hours on a pound of propane. The temperature raises about 12.5 degrees and holds it there. If the outside temperature is 36 degrees, I will stay at 48 in the green house. If it gets to 34 or 35, I need to go to high, which raises the temperature about 15 degrees, to 49 degrees. The plants are happier. I bought a second such Heater in case we have a problem and the temperature goes into the 20 degree range. It has happened in the past but only rarely. I think two heaters can handle that, one on high and one on low. The prior heater used half a lb. of propane an hour so this heater is a money saver. I read that the heater does not get hot on the outside and it is true. This is a fantastic product.
I tried electric heaters in the past but the current drain was so great the fan would turn at a snails pace. I knew then that I had to use gas to get the heat I required.
As an after thought, you can tell how much propane you have in the 20 lb. tank. Take the propane tank, empty, in your hands and step on the scale and record the weight. Then weight yourself and subtract the difference and you have the weight of the tank.
Paint it on the tank, empty weight. It is hard to read the Total Weight on the tank as it is engraved on the tank and often difficult to see. When you get the tank filled, weight it as you stand on the scale, and after subtracting your weight, record the full weight of the tank with the gas and paint it on the tank. If you have no paint, buy a cheap nail polish and paint it on the tank. Where I live, the temperature has dropped around Midnight to 46 and gets to 42 around 4 a.m. and up to 48 by 10 a.m.. I just turn the heater on at Midnight and turn it off at 10 a.m. when the sun is heating the green house. I weight the tank and find I used two lbs. for 10 house. One tank should last me 10 days. With my other heater, I got 40 hours or 5 days, plants got too much heat and lost leaves and blooms.
22 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2011
I purchased a Mr. Heater for a cold weekend hunting trip. It worked really well and kept us nice and warm. The only complaint I have is that it's relatively easy to blow the pilot light out. I only plan to use mine inside a trailer or tent. A side note, for me, a 1 lbs propane tank lasted for 3 hours...
on February 10, 2010
This is my second Mr. Heater product, I also have the smaller version. This is a significant improvement in both heat capacity and being "Indoor-Safe". It has proven very effective and reliable, and it makes living aboard my boat in the winter (Chesapeake Bay) quite comfortable. Especially this winter, '09-'10.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2011
A great little heater. I bought it in case of emergencys when there is no heat in the house. I am always a little weary about heaters that are used indoors but I ran it for an hour using a carbon monoxide detector and it never moved off of zero. The low and high settings is a nice option. I bought the propane tanks at walmart 2 pack for around $5. It was a good price and shipped quickly.