5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for a contractor or builder
For safety reasons, this is not a heater I would recommend for regular home use. But as a contractor's on-site work heater, it's just about ideal.

It's shaped like one of those turbine propane heaters, but it's a little smaller (about 16 inches long, and 16 inches tall including the handle), and a lot quieter.

It's cordless -- the blower fan can...
Published 21 months ago by Once in a while

3.0 out of 5 stars Not designed for amateurs.
This is not a heater I would recommend for amateur use. If all the warnings and dangers of using this heater don't scare you away, then proceed at your own risk. You must use this heater in a highly ventilated area. I tried it in my garage, and left one of the doors cracked open to be sure. I thought that defeated the purpose of the heater.
I thought the heater was...
Published 20 months ago by Kate August

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for a contractor or builder, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Mr. Heater Hero Forced Air Propane Heater 30,000-60,000 BTU/Hr. MH60CLP (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

It's cordless -- the blower fan can operate up to four hours on a charge. You can purchase additional batteries (sealed lead acid type) to extend the time. The included battery will recharge in about five hours. The heater will also operate with the power cord, but the battery should still be fully charged first.

It's also fairly lightweight, around 20 pounds, which adds to its portability. A 20# propane tank weighs more than this heater.

The heater will put out from 30,000 up to 60,000 BTUs, depending on the output setting, meaning it's capable of heating quite a large space (and maybe overheating small spaces). For comparison, a portable 1500-watt electric space heater puts out about 5,000 BTUs. The slogan on the side of the box appropriately and somewhat amusingly says "Cold has nowhere to hide."

A standard 20# propane tank will fuel it for up to 14 hours of continuous running. Using it intermittently will extend that time of course.

A propane connecting hose and power cord (for charging or running plugged in) is included with the heater.

There are safety features built in to the heater to prevent or shut down ignition if the fan isn't running. The battery must be charged or the power cord connected and the fan running. Charge the battery before use, even if you intend to run it plugged in, because there is a low-battery-voltage lockout safety feature.

It's kind of tricky to light -- you have to push the ignition switch very slowly, then hold it in for a minute before releasing it.

Be sure to read and follow all safety instructions, including instructions on how to use propane safely. This is an unvented heater, meaning all the combustion by-products will be venting into the heated space. And those by-products do include some small amounts of carbon monoxide. If those build up in the space, problems can result, the least of which might be a splitting headache. So you will want to make sure the space is well ventilated.

Venting the space might seem contradictory -- after all, you're trying to heat the space, not just bring in more cold air from outside. But that's what you'll need to do in order to operate a heater like this safely. You'll need to find a balance where enough fresh air is coming in to operate the heater safely.

That kind of thing is not a problem on most contractor work sites, where walls are unfinished and outside air is flowing in pretty freely. That's why I consider this a very good heater for that kind of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love These Things!, December 15, 2013
Cal Bear (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I run several open-air food concession stands where my employees are exposed to the elements. We cover our operation with 8' x 8' open-walled EZ-Up tents to shelter our staff from sun and rain, but on cold days and nights, my employees freeze. Our local fire department banned the Mr. Heater heaters that sit on top of propane tanks (which we used without incident for years), so I was on the hunt for a heater that wasn't attached to the tank. Because we have no power at our sites, I was looking for something battery operated that would direct some heated air at my employees.

I saw these heaters on Amazon and bought one to try. OMG. There could not be a more perfectly designed device. I haven't yet used them exclusively on battery power, because you need an extra battery to reach an 8-hour run time (each battery = 4 hours), so I hooked the first unit up to our Honda 1000 generator. I set the propane tank on the opposite side of the tent (the manual cautions about facing the heater toward the tank...if someone does that, it's probably time to thin the herd), and the unit has a 6' long propane hose that makes it possible to locate the tank remotely. I turned on the propane and then plugged the Hero into the generator. A green blinking light tells you the unit has power. Then you press the "on" button to turn on the fan. The manual says to wait 15 seconds for the fan to get up to RPM. Next step is to push the yellow "ignite" button and hold it down for 10-15 seconds. Immediately you hear the "whoosh" of the flame igniting, and I assumed the holding it down allowed the thermocouple to heat up and maintain the flame, like a water heater. The unit has a heat control that allows you to output anywhere from 30,000-60,000 BTU's of heat. I started at the lowest setting.

Cue a choir of angels. My employees had a look of disbelief as the entire interior area of the tent heated up from frigid to warm. Seriously, they were downright giddy. If I could post a picture, I'd show one I have of my employees working the concession in sleeveless blouses while the customers buying are bundled up in jackets, coats, and scarfs.

I am more than a fan. I am a devotee. I've bought three more, plus the optional batteries I've yet to try. This little powerhouse is a simple, well-designed heater that puts out an enormous amount of adjustable heat. For my application, it is perfect. If you want to heat an outdoor area (they say 800 sq. feet; mine is about 100 square feet), this may be the solution. As for range, I have no idea, except that customers were commenting they could feel the heat on their side of the counter. From my perspective, this is a perfect product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Dragon, March 19, 2013
Schwartz (Port Allegany, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received the heater as it was shipped in its own box in good shape. Inside I found the instructions, the unit, regulator and hose, and power cable. Looking around the unit I see the base, carry handle and rear endcap are all made of plastic but the unit does not feel fragile. The carry handle has a permanently attached tag that has warnings along with usage instructions. The tag is some sort of laminate with a steel rivet holding it all together and attached with a steel cable to the carry handle. It is attached in a way that it is always right in front of you but it is not able to interfere with the air intake. I like that they also used a standard power cable like one might find on a PC so the cable is easily replaceable if lost or damaged. On on the side of the unit there is a on/off button with LED indicator and an valve button with an output control to adjust from 30,000 to 60,000 BTU.

I connected the power cable and fully charged the unit before I took it out. Once it was ready I connected my propane tank and hit the on/off button. The fan spun up and I could hear the ignitor sparking. I slowly pushed the valve button until fully depressed and held it until the fire lit and then continued to hold it for about 30 seconds and then released it. The unit stayed lit no problem. From the first time on I have not had any problems getting the unit fired up. The instructions are also on that tag and written on the side of the unit so if you need a reminder on how to do it you always have quick access to a reminder.

It is great being able to use propane in an easily portable heater like this. I used the heater for quick warmth when outside doing work and play. The amount of heat this thing can put out is deceiving compared to its size. I know it says how many BTUs it puts out but I still wasn't expecting it to be as hot as it was after seeing it. It will singe your clothing if you get too close. It is really quiet when compared to other AC powered units I have seen and doesn't have the odor of a kerosene fueled unit. I ran the heater for an hour or two at a time so I never ended up depleting the battery but if you were planning to use the heater for longer periods of time you can get another battery to add to the unit or if you have AC nearby you can power and charge off AC when needed.

My only complaint is with the gas hose. This is a heater for cold environments but when I had this outside in freezing temps the hose would become very stiff and rigid. I was worried that I would damage the hose several times when moving the unit around. So far it has been OK but I think a hose material that remains more flexible at lower temperatures should have been used.

Other than that I think this is a great little heater that you can easily move around to where you need it. It can go more places easier than a AC unit could and will provide you with many hours of convenient clean heat. I'd definitely recommend picking one up if it looks like it will fill your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best propane heater, March 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There was a lot of crying and embracing when this heater showed up at the house, and I wasn't the recipient. Once I pried the guys off of the box, they scurried off into the garage to unpack it, charge it up and grab a propane tank. As per my grilling (ha)them:

The instructions were pretty self-explanatory. These are guys that have owned a dozen heaters and this has been the dream heater for them that they've looked at for a while, so that may have affected their ease with it. They're happy with the weight and small size of it, since it's going to get transferred around a lot. Overall: setup, including charging and learning about the propane hookup was fairly easy if you've had any experience with forced air heaters and are a generally handy person.

Usage: This has worked perfectly in the situations we've put it in. In a garage workshop, we've left one of the double doors down, opened the other and put the heater under the open door and it's kept the entire garage nice and toasty. Outside during a winter cookout/gathering, we put the heater about fifteen feet away from the deck and aimed it at it and it was comfortable enough that we could hang out with our jackets on. During a middle school football game, we lent it to the coach, who went cordless with it and set it up facing the sideline to help keep the kids warm. On full blast, it worked fairly well, but a lot of the kids were fighting to sit near the heater end of the bench.

This is definitely on the priciest end of the forced air heaters and having gone from the general less expensive all the way up to probably the most expensive, I can't comment on what's in between. I can say that this is easily the best forced air heater that we've used and if it ever dies and can't be repaired, we'll probably have an actual funeral service for it, complete with a lawnmower cavalcade and black tool belts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for High School Football Games, February 15, 2013
William Krischke (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This little unit was a lifesaver for our high school football games this year. Charge it up the day before, connect it to a propane tank and fire it up along the sidelines and it keeps the players warm when they're not on the field. It keeps us coaches and parents warm too! It gets cold around here, especially at night and I'm sure glad we had this unit along. It was probably responsible for more than one win this season!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant!, December 6, 2013
This unit works great, strong clean heat (I am in a 50' x 160' building and it uses more fuel than stated).
read the manual,easy set-up and start-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as promised, easier to use than initially expect, February 19, 2013
Patrick O (San Dimas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a propane heater. Now, that's an obvious statement, right. It is, but it bears repeating. This burns hot gas, like a barbecue does. Something that burns hot gas comes with a lot of warnings and tags and such. It can seem intimidating, like just touching is going to blow you up.

This is a propane heater being sold in a very litigious society. So, that explains the large amount of warnings.

So don't worry. Again, it's like a barbecue, just not for cooking meat, it's for warming space. If you can use a propane barbecue you can use this heater.

Connect it to a tank. Turn the fan on. Press the lighter button. The gas ignites (you can hear it, but it's not really loud--it sounds like a barbecue on high).

I'll admit, it took me a bit of time to get it working and I was just about to give it bad review for not working easily. Then I realized that when you turn on the fan, the spark inside only is on for about 30 seconds, so if you don't light it up within the first 30 seconds it doesn't light at all. Light it within the 30 seconds, it's the easiest thing to get going.

And it heats! Very well. I have an enclosed room I used it in. Pointed it in from the outside, with a door open (and there is a lot of windows and I made sure there was plenty of ventilation). It was about 45 degrees out, 60s degrees in the room (I have an indoor/outdoor digital wireless thermometer). Within about 20 minutes it was 44 degrees outside, 73 degrees inside. This is a pretty large room with high ceilings and the door open and a few windows, and this heater warmed it up 13 degrees in just a short amount of time. The same room has an older natural gas fireplace in it. Which doesn't hardly heat the room at all, even when the gas is on high.

This isn't a house heater. It's for well-ventilated spaces and for outside use, like a barn, or patio, or work-room. And it warms up. Move it wherever you can carry a propane tank.

My one caveat is that propane isn't really all that cheap these days. So, I don't know if I'd use this regularly for all day use or for long periods over an extended time (days and weeks of a project). I wish there was a way to convert it to use natural gas, as that's cheaper and more accessible to a lot of places. I looked and it doesn't seem there's a recommended conversion kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice heater for those cold days outdoors, January 6, 2013
Eagle Vision (Southeastern United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I simply plugged the heater overnight into the outlet to charge the batteries. I attached my propane tank to the unit, and started the heater according to instructions. Having not used one of these before, I was unsure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Startup took less than a minute. I used my heater on the deck while I was out grilling on the barbecue. I also used it to heat the garage when I was working on moving out of my old house.

I did not use it to completely empty the propane tank. However, this device worked for me, as intended. It is a relatively lightweight device, except for the weight of the propane tank. Overall, use in a workspace, around the yard or at a game would easily be a feasible task for this.

Solid piece of machinery to stay warm, just about anywhere outdoors (obviously where it's safe to do so).

Two thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Heater, Not So Hot, 2nd look Update!, December 29, 2012
wbentrim (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
13 months later than the below review.
This is an update to my original one star review. Need seems to figure in the performance of this heater. I woke up after a night of exceptionally cold temperatures for our area to discover that my well-fed home water system had frozen overnight and we had no water. The idea of sitting around holding a hair dryer on my pipes for who knows how long was not an attractive prospect, so instead I retrieved the heater and a full LP cylinder. Hooking it up was easy enough with the assistance of an adjustable wrench to ensure a tight connection on both ends with the hose. I double-checked the directions which were both printed on a small booklet attached to the unit, and printed on the side of the heater. There are many warnings to make sure the fan is running before starting it, so being sure to heed that I started it right up. While maintaining safe clearances I had the heater warm up the area where my well pump and pipes leading to the the house are located. The fan/blower was nice to maintain a directional heat right onto the frozen pipes. In no time at all the area and the pipes were warmed and the water system operational again.
I've used smaller propane heaters in the past that lack blowing systems and are rated for way fewer BTU's - this heater was a whole different ballgame with the blower and a large tank. I'm impressed. I did not do anything different this time except... I needed the heater and wasn't just testing it. I know that makes no sense but I felt it only fair to revise the review.

Mr. Heater Hero Forced Air Propane Heater 30,000-60,000 BTU/Hr. MH60CLP

I probably shouldn't write reviews right after unsuccessfully testing a product. Feeling is starting to come back to my fingers but it is slow. I read manuals. I read them multiple times with products I am unfamiliar with as opposed to computer related stuff where I have a high comfort factor. Propane is flammable and not so good to breathe so I read this manual several times through before connecting anything.

The connections were straight forward. The admonishment to fully charge the battery was quite clear as well. It looked pretty clear cut. I charged the battery. I connected the gas line to the tank and to the heater. I turned on the fan which again you are cautioned to do, I did like all the cautions. I let the fan run a bit and then I "slowly, this is another admonishment, pushed the orange starter button down. The heater ignited, I got startled and the heater went out. I tried again and this time was prepared for the sudden noise. I let go of the ignition button and the heater went off. After several attempts with no ignition, I recalled that there was an interlock and if you hadn't gotten it started, turn it off, turn the fan off and redo the starting process.

I did this multiple times to no avail. As soon as I let up the ignition button the heater stopped. I did read that you should hold the ignition button from 30 to 60 seconds after the heater ignites. I brought out a clock to make sure that I was actually waiting the appropriate length of time. Due to the garage door being open, the garage was very chilly and I thought that maybe I was rushing my 1001, 1002 etc count of seconds. I timed the length of time I was holding the ignition button and 30,60 and 90 seconds made no difference. As soon as I took my finger off the button the heater stopped.

I reread the manual and could not discover anything I was doing that was not part of the appropriate start up procedure. At this point I had little feeling left in my toes and hands and decided that I had tested this product as far as I was physically able to stand it.

I can't imagine that the coldness of my propane or garage had an impact as this is a heater. It is supposed to be used in cold conditions. The manual does not recommend use below zero degrees but my garage was no colder than 31 degrees according to my thermometer.

On a plus note, if you get one that runs, it is substantially quieter than the ones I dealt with back in my construction job days. The noise when it ignites was similar but a lot less loud than I remember. The unit seems nicely constructed. The manual is detailed as to how to do your start up. The size is great compared to the old ones I remember. If I could have got it to stay running I probably would have loved it and gone 5 stars. Since I (and admittedly I could have screwed something up) could not get it to continue running after thoroughly reading the manual, I can't recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Limited Use, December 28, 2012
Duffer. "Bo" (Conyers, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After unpacking this item and reading the manual I was somewhat reluctant to fire it up. Nearly the entire contents of the manual consist of various types of warnings that point out the dangers of using this heater and the possibility of unfortunate results, including death, that might occur. Keeping all these warnings in mind I proceeded to unpack and set up this unit. A power cord and a hose to connect a propane tank are included with the heater. This unit requires a lot of ventilation. I requested it in the hopes that I could use it in a small shed which has a workbench. However, after reading the manual I don't feel that this shed has adequate ventilation. However, I have another shed that is larger and which also has a workbench but does not have a front wall. Ventilation is in bountiful supply with this shed. This heater can be charged up and will run for a couple of hours. That works out well where there is no electricity as with my three wall shed. However, if you want to use it for a longer period such as in your garage with the garage door open you can run it while having it plugged into an elecrical outlet.

This unit is a bit on the heavy side which is a plus since you don't want it bouncing around when in use. This heater works as expected and provides a good bit of heat. I took off one star because of the limited areas in which it can be used by a homeowner. If you are in the construction business you may choose to add that one star back on. Good luck and stay safe.

Mr. Heater Hero Forced Air Propane Heater 30,000-60,000 BTU/Hr. MH60CLP
$368.53 $293.96
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies