Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $6.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $21.78 shipping
2-Year Housewares Extended Protection Planfrom SquareTrade
- Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions after manufacturer's warranty expires
- 24/7 customer support
- Free shipping on all repairs with no deductibles or hidden fees
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
Mr. Heater Portable Big Buddy Propane Heater
|Price:||$128.94 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Swivel regulators and single control,Length 19.00,Width 12.00
- Automatic low oxygen shutoff system
- Accidental tip-over safety shutoff
- Heats up to 400 square feet
- Low, medium, and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
When one uses this heater with a 20 lb propane bottle & accessory hose, it is imperative that you always shut the tank off first & let the heater run until it burns off all the fuel in the lines.
*** IT IS IMPERATIVE TO FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE ***
If one simply turns the heater knob to the off position, it will trap trap 100 PSI of propane in the accessory hose. When high pressure propane sits in the rubber hose, it will chemically react with the rubber and leetch a light oil. The oil will build up and quickly work its way into the heater, clogging both the regulator & control valve.
Another very important recommendation is to purchase the gas line filter. This will catch the oily residue and protect the combustion components of the heater should one forget to follow the precautions above.
Keeping these precautions in mind, one will be able to enjoy a very well-build and flexible-use portable heater.
PERFORMANCE IN COLD WEATHER
For the past 5 years, I've used the Big Buddy heaters to heat two small cabins, 200 sq feet each, with vaulted ceilings. Without the Big Buddy, my primary cabin averages 37 F in the winter, and my studio averages 35 F. With the Big Buddy, I can keep either cabin at a toasty 65 to 70 F. In the past, I used the smaller Mr. Buddy for years to heat a tent in winter for 2 weeks at a time while working in the mountains.
How long to heat a space?
Cabin: From full cold (37 to 45 F indoors), it feels like it takes forever to heat 200 sq feet on low. On high, my cabin is toasty warm in about 10 to 12 minutes. The heater then keeps the space too warm, so I have to turn it down to low, or start cycling it on and off every hour.
Tent: It never heats the tent; too much loss through the tent walls. It just provides a radiant heat source for the side of your body that faces it. I could never decide if that made things better (to have some heat), or worse -- one side warm and the other freezing my hiney off.
BOTTLE VS TANK + FUEL FILTER
I have used both the Mr. Buddy and the Big Buddy with 1-lb bottles and 20-lb tanks, with and without fuel filters. Over the past 10 years, I have had only one failure -- one heater clogged with a 20 lb tank (no fuel filter). All my other heaters have performed flawlessly, and I've had 2 Mr Buddies and now have 5 Big Buddies (I gave away the Mr Buddies and went solely to the Big Buddies). I started using fuel filters only in the last 8 months.Read more ›
My elevation in Virginia, About 800 feet
Ambient temperature, 72.8 (in my house). Outside temp 29.0
1. Running on high on ONE Disposable Cylinder caused unit shutdown after 50 minutes. (Pilot started to flicker, cut out and then gas shut down). Single bottle was covered with ice (I assume that's bad...)
2. Running on TWO Disposable Cylinders got me the balance of three hours smoothly and well.
3. No fumes observed at all. Some moisture, but cracking the window an inch kept it under control.
4. A lot of heat. Too much for my wood floor. I had to put it on my brick mantle. This might scorch tile.
5. It kept my upstairs (1000 square feet) at 72.5. Only a loss of 0.3 degrees over three hours. Better than expected.
Suggestion: If you are trying to run on high with disposables, use two of them. This is not in the manual.
I don't know how it works with tanks, or whether you need to feed one or both inputs.
My unit did not come with the AC adapter. The batteries work.
If you bump it gently, it shuts off.
For 139 bucks, it fits the bill well enough. It appears to be very well made, but the safety features make it tempermental. For my use as an emergency heat source, it's adequate.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
saved us during winter blackouts,
crack windows 4 inches when using inside. use co2 and CO monitor. Read more
Awesome heater !!! In my small home I just turned it on for five minutes on high and it has heated up the whole place already then I just turn it down to the lowest setting and it... Read morePublished 5 days ago by Amazon Customer
This heater is a beast! I thought it would melt my tent but the cold kept the tent covering cool. My husband is thrilled we bought it. Read morePublished 17 days ago by Kareen
Good little heater that is best because of its versatility not its overall heating performance. It can take camping bottles or with the available hose, it can be hooked up to... Read morePublished 18 days ago by Nicholas A. Virgilio
The corny photo shopped pictures do not do justice for this. This is a great product. Lasts long, heats up instantly and can work off of a small or big propane tank. Read morePublished 20 days ago by michael