First of all, the filter is unnecessary if you're using the hose with attached regulator; the regulator will remove any contaminants in the propane (Apparently the Amazon package unnecessarily included both the hose attached regulator AND the filter...)

Published on November 28, 2011 by Ken

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you need this filter before you buy
Published on March 2, 2010 by DIY Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you need this filter before you buy, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Mr. Heater Fuel Filter for Portable Buddy and Big Buddy Heaters #F273699 (Kitchen)
I bought the Mr. Heater Hose with a regulator and quick disconnect fitting for the Big Buddy Heater. When it arrived, I discovered that I could not connect the fuel filter to the quick disconnect fitting. I called Mr. Heater, and they informed me that I didn't need the fuel filter if I was using a hose with an attached regulator. It would have been nice if Amazon had indicated this fact when I purchased the filter. But, none of the specifications for the product demonstrated this redundency. If you buy the hose with the regulator, then you don't need this filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very important to have, unless you're using hose with Regulator, November 28, 2011

Beyond that, if you're using a hose that does NOT have an attached regulator you absolutely must use the filer! I've been using Mr. Buddy Heaters for years and can attest that if you use a hose and don't use the filter, you'll end up tearing down your heater, buying new internal parts, and rebuilding it (or just throwing it out and buying a new heater, if they're on sale...)

The filter removes oily contaminants that are present to a greater or lesser degree in the all 5 gallon propane tanks (the degree of contamination depends on your source of propane). Mostly the contamination is the oderant (mercaptin oil) they add to the propane. Over time (maybe 5 to 15 tanks, depending on how bad your propane is contaminated), the oil will build up and clog up the heater's internal parts, rendering some useless and requiring cleaning of everything else.

It's impossible, by law, to buy propane refills that are mercaptin free; therefore you will ALWAYS have contaminants in your refillable propane tanks.

You can also get contamination if you're using the older style black hoses. They contain a plasticizer that will bleed out of the hose if you turn off the heater before shutting off the tank valve; the pressure builds up in the hose and forces the plasticizer out of the hose material and into the void of the hose. When you re-start your heater, all that stuff gets sucked right into your heater, and it seems that it's even more damaging than the oil in the propane. Even worse, it's my experience that the filters do not do a very good job of filtering the plasticizer; perhaps because the higher pressure in the hose when you first turn on your heater blows it right past the filter.

That means that, even if you're using a filter, if you're using the older-style black hose, you still have to turn off the tank before turning off the heater. If I'm using a black hose, I usually turn off the tank and just let the heater go out by itself.

But nowadays I usually use the Plasticizer-free Green Hose that Enerco sells, so I don't have the plasticizer problem. The advantage of the Green Hose is that since I no longer have to turn off the tank and then allow the heater to just go out, I can now leave the tank outside my tent trailer and just turn the heater on and off without bothering with the tank.

Some sources say that, with the Green Hose, you don't need to use the filter. I still use the filter though, due to the problems with contamination from propane mentioned above. It's still necessary to use the filter because your propane is still going to contain contaminants that will need to be filtered.

I have 3 heaters - I date my filters (using indelible markers) when I put them on a heater and change them out after a year. I've had no problems at all since I started this system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuel Filter teardown, December 3, 2010
I bought my second fuel filter and I tore the first one apart to see what had collected inside. This unit is not a "filter" per se. It is actually just an empty chamber. The propane goes in the bottom, hits a baffle, and then goes out the top. This gives the oils a chance to separate from the gas and collect inside. Judging from the amount of accumulated oil in my filter after one tank of propane, this thing is probably good for 4 or 5 tanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Heater Fuel Filter, March 14, 2010
Buyer beware! This item is NOT compatable with the quick disconnect hose & regulator (F271803) that Amazon suggests buying together as accessories for the mr. Heater. Shame on Amazon this time for recommending these together This filter is threaded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves Your Valuable Equipment, June 8, 2009
I camp out all year long. I purchased a Mr Heater Portable Buddy heater to heat my tent/quad trailer this last year. The manufacturer recommended using the filter when using bulk propane tanks to fuel the heater. It worked so well on my heater (no fuel related problems in the last 12 months) that I also installed one on my Coleman two burner stove which I have hooked to a 20 lb tank also. For the small cost, it really saves you a lot of problems with propane contaminents and maintanence costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and BEST price around, May 2, 2010
I knew I needed one of these to prevent 'gumming' and decay, since we were installing a long RUBBER supply line. The price BEAT the local "discount" supplier and delivered with OTHER stuff for FREEEeee! Still running 2nd winter with Mr Htr, 12 ft hose and with this filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying the Propane Fuel Filter is a good idea., September 17, 2011
First the filter can be screwed on to a Portable Buddy Heater and a Big Buddy Heater. You have Propane gas that can run through hose and the propane is under high pressure. When the pressure drops or when the heater is turned off, the organic substances in the hose can escape from the substance of the hose and enter the lumen or empty space of the hose; with the drop in pressure, the substances in the wall of the hose flow in the direction of least resistance and this is into the lumen. This liquid like matter can, over time, get into the heater and the heater will lose in efficiency as it blocks the channels through which the gas flows before it is burned. So instead of a bright red glow on the heating plate, it will be a much duller red color.
I tried a step down gas regulator but the heat was not the same. The purpose of the filter is to trap the liquid organics before they can get into the Heater. Sort of like the oil filter or fuel filter on your car that is there to prevent damage to the engine, and periodically you change the filters. I have not read any where how many hours of use the filter should have before being exchanged. Maybe some one has done that. I think if you used a copper tubing with the correct fitting, you could get away from the Fuel Filter but the low cost of the Filter tends to lead me to just changing the Fuel Filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you use the big tanks, you need this, January 8, 2014
This is a great little protector for your heater when using the big tanks. Do not skimp and think you can get by without it. You will wish you hadn't. Just a word to the wise.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's better solutions, November 30, 2013
I got a couple of these for use with a Buddy heater. They screw on the disposable thread ports, but may not even be needed there. The reason for them seems to be because oils hoses are made with get "squeezed" out of them under high pressure and go into the fuel stream eventually causing problems in the Buddy heaters. So there are actually 3 ways to deal with this problem.
Solution 1: Adding the filter catches the oils (but need routine changing).
Solution 2: use an "oil-free" hose which Mr heater created (the F273704).
Solution 3: Use a regulated gas supply so the hose isn't "squeezed" so much that oils get extracted.
With the filters being a routine cost (versus a 1 time cost for a regulator or the other hose) as well as the filter adding an extra threaded connection (possible leak point), I'm thinking it's best to go with one of the other solutions. I'll use what I got and see how long they last, but wish I didn't go after what can be avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Heater accessory, December 3, 2010
If you're thinking about hooking up a 20# propane tank to your Mr. Heater, you should use this filter. You don't want to get rust or contaminants in your Mr. Heater and foul the orifice up.