4.0 out of 5 stars DEAR MUSIC APPRECIATORS
Dear Music Appreciators,

The only Lambchop related music I'd heard before this was the song "65" off a Josh Rouse/Kurt Wagner EP released way back in 1999. Good tune, but Kurt Wagner didn't even sing on that one, so I'm pretty much a Lambchop virgin.

Published on February 21, 2012 by Andrew H. Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars For those who'd love if Adam Sandler fronted a band
The musicians are decent, that's the only good thing I can say about this album. It reminds me of something I heard Shirley Manson say recently, that she's tired of shoegazing. If you're paying for entertainment then at least put some time and effort into your statement and put on a show. Being tender is great, quiet is great too, just put some power and emotion behind it...
Published on March 21, 2012 by Mark McLaughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars DEAR MUSIC APPRECIATORS, February 21, 2012
Dear Music Appreciators,

Now that I've finally gotten around to officially meeting this band (through this, their latest record) I'm not 100% sure how I feel about them personally. This may be a relationship I want to pursue, or I may decide it's just too much work and (despite a very real brilliance factor) let them drift off my radar forever. Time will tell, but in the meantime, here are some thoughts on what the new record MR. M has to offer:

Kurt Wagner seems to be the kind of guy who does what he wants artistically-speaking - the kind of guy who can drop an F bomb in the first line of the first song and then proceed carefully through fifty-six minutes of subtly beautiful and uniquely unconventional songs on love and loss without missing a beat. String and woodwind arrangements, piano, and gently played acoustic instruments abound here. The vocals are delivered in a blunt, matter-of-fact conversational style. The lyrics are poetic - "And I won't be connected/or be easily infected/by the growing sense of self-inflected routine in our day"

These songs take their time and true to their creator, they do seem to do whatever they want. Some are purely instrumental, some literally almost put me to sleep the first time around, a few are instant accessible, but all the songs on this album reward the dedicated music appreciator by slowly revealing their true qualities over the course of repeated listening.

If I had to choose one word to describe my impression of the music on MR. M the word would be...

Cinematic.

With or without words, these songs seem to be patiently telling a story and weaving a tapestry of tone that could easily drape itself along the soundtrack of an art house picture about life or love or loss with a capital "L." I say "an art house picture" because this is evocative and thoughtful music for thoughtful people and I'm guessing any future decisions about whether or not I wanna get my Lambchop on will depend on how thoughtful I'm feeling at the time, and unless you're already a dedicated fan, perhaps it will depend on the same thing for you too.

Sincerely,

Constant Listener

5.0 out of 5 stars Lambchop done up nice and tender., March 13, 2012
This review is from: Mr. M (MP3 Music)
The previous album that this most sonically resembles to me is 2002's "Is a Woman." These are quiet songs for the most part that, even if the don't directly address the death of Vic Chestnut, carry an undertone of loss and wistfulness.The songs don't sound to me like an airing of grief, but rather observing the differences when things we have in our life are taken away or no longer there. Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn the lights off, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Mr. M (Audio CD)
This album is so beautiful you need to listen with the lights off through headphones. Quite superb. I'm a fan of Leonard Cohen and can honestly say this is in the same league.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Mr. M (Audio CD)
Something new and strange to me here and it sticks. Slow and real and sad and happy. They are more than songs, 'though I like songs, and I am very happy to've found it. I wanted to add five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Mr. M a Chance, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Mr. M (Audio CD)
The first Lambchop song I heard was "The Man Who Loved Beer." Off a David Byrne solo album, I thought this is an incredible post-Talking Heads song. Then, I looked at the liner notes and noticed it was a Lambchop cover. Around the same time they released two albums on the same day called "Aw, C'Mon" and "No, You C'Mon." I love stuff like double albums or when bands release two albums at the same time. So I purchased both of these albums and was eager to hear what this band has to offer. I may have been open-minded enough to give them a try but, I was ignorant enough to write them off as a poor-man's Crash Test Dummies. My loss. Years go by. There is that whole phrase burn me once but, burn me twice. Well, I though Lambchop had burnt me twice on that C'Mon series and I wrote them off. For some reason, I found myself years later face to face with Lambchop's "Mr. M." I didn't hear any samples before hand and I settled on buying the album. I played a couple of songs and thought to myself, I better keep this digi-pack in pristine condition so I may sell it on Amazon. But, then I heard the entire album a couple of times through. I have to say mesmerizing. This album is gorgeous. The instrumentation, the lyrics, the voice. Too too beautiful. I cannot even put this music into words. This record is amazing. I love it. The reason, I wrote the review in this fashion is because if you gave Lambchop a half-hearted chance in the past and weren't impressed. Try them out on this one. My thing is I was too stupid to get or understand the beauty and sharp humour this band has to offer. I even tried out the albums I couldn't get into previously and though I see on the above mentioned albums why I wasn't thrilled with them. They have many elements of beauty. So a brief breakdown of Mr. M is it is understated, tranquil, poetic. The instrumentation and lyrics actually take you places. After, this I gave a chance to "Hank" EP and "How I Quit Smoking" LP and am hooked on what this band has to offer. There is not a weak cut on this album. Yes, it is what you call an album that truly grows on you. It is a cinematic and atmospheric experience. So who is Mr. M? It is an album that allowed me to give the genius of Lambchop one more chance. Love it so much it is so difficult to describe the breathy tracks that float in and out like a cool fall breeze. This album will not rock you out but, it will make you think if you have a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Mr. M (Vinyl)
I've been listening to this album for the past two days. It is soothing, lovely, and romantic. Kurt Wagner's voice is a thing of beauty. It's unique quality is one that should be heard by more people. The music is also very relaxing. I teach high school and I played this for my tenth grade students. They loved it. They all wanted to know who that band was and wanted to know more about them. This lp is definitely a timeless classic. I will be listening to it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect record, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Mr. M (Vinyl)
I don't even have words for how profoundly beautiful this one of a kind album is. Inspired by the death of a musician and close friend, Kurt Wagner has created a masterpiece. This album takes a few repeats to even begin to appreciate. I have several thousand albums and have been a serious music collector for decades. This goes into my top 100 records of all time. Right up there with The Beatles, Neil Young, Frank Sinatra, Beethoven, and other music that I find indispensable. I am so grateful for this work. Albums like this don't along very often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously grew on me, November 27, 2013
N. Shiyandja (Oakland, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. M (Audio CD)
Reviewers on podcast 'All Songs Considered' were somewhat raving about both the band and this album so I bought it on a whim. Track played (Gone tomorrow) had a nice sound quality and a building theme that I can only call 'muted intensity'

My first Lambchop album. I had a somewhat 'meh!?' reaction at first to this but after about 5-10 listens I fell in love with it. At 100+ listens its still a go too album. Listening now to inspire my review.

Not for everyone of course - but I find it to be very unique sound, musically rich, great fidelity (a very good headphones album). Really unique lyrics as well. This is a real 'album' that has continuity from song to song and a real sense of completeness when you finish it. Perhaps that's why I put it on so much.

I bought "How I quite Smoking" afterwards - very different, also didn't like at first but have sense come to really really like.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that sticks with you, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Mr. M (Vinyl)
This album is worth buying for 'Buttons' alone. Also, vinyl bonus track 'I Guess I'm Dumb' makes the vinyl version worth the extra cost. I got this record when it came out last year, listened, shelved it, and, unable to get a few tunes out of my head, I returned to it and realized that it was probably my favorite album of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Lamb, January 28, 2013
D. Franzini "quiltbabe" (San Francisco, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. M (MP3 Music)
This is the first time I've heard Lambchop and I really love this CD. A unique voice and interesting style - I can listen to it repeatedly and it doesn't get dull or boring. Check it out.

Mr. M