on February 18, 2014
My daughters liked this film a lot and me I found it entertaining, clever and VERY amusing, especially the fragments in which discreet jokes for adults were included, like the wonderful cameos by Kirk Douglas and Bill Clinton (I lost half of my popcorn because of the latter). Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

The character of Mr Peabody appeared first on "Rocky and Bullwinkle show" in the late 50s, before starring in its own TV series, "Peabody's Improbable History" in the 60s. Those series told about famous characters from the past being visited by a dog named Mr Peabody (world's greatest genius) and his pet boy Sherman. This film is a highly modernized version of this latter show.

Unlike in the series, Mr Peabody walks mostly on two legs, treats Sherman as his son and not as a pet and is also much funnier and more likeable - in the old series Mr Peabody was a colder, more distant, more cynical character. In the series Sherman was slightly dim - in the film however he is just a regular 7-years old boy, may be just more enthusiastic, cheerful and kind-hearted than most.

Raised by a highly civilized and peace-loving father, Sherman is a very gentle child - which, once he starts school makes him an ideal target for the the alpha bully in his class, the abominable Penny Peterson, a girl cute as a button, spoiled like month old steak, mischievous like a cohort of leprechauns and as mean as a rattlesnake...))) One thing leading to another, poor Mr Peabody is forced into peace talks with Penny's parents and tries to reconcile the two kids - and at that moment the REAL troubles begin...

As I already said, this is a delightful film, both for children and for adults. Children oriented fun is of course the main treat, but adults will also find a lot in this film, like some short lessons on followic topics:

"Definition of smell of victory in Bronze Age" by Agamemnon

"Comparative value of currency in American mating rituals" by George Washington and Benjamin Franklin

"Female sense of humour in Italian Renaissance" by Mona Lisa

"Everything you always wanted to know about eviscerating princesses but were afraid to ask" by King Tut

"Basic headology" by Robespierre

"Solving father issues with genocide" musical presentaiton by Greater Ajax (featuring The Achaeans)

"Pizza and ancient fortifications - analysis of a duality" by Ulysses

"Dog day afternoon - an earful" by Van Gogh

"Reflection on emptiness and fulfillment of timber" by Trojan Horse

"Raising a child - a dendrological new take on an old problem" by Leonardo Da Vinci

"Taming of a shrew - case study" by Sherman

But all of this is nothing compared to, sorry for repeating it once again, cameos by Kirk Douglas and Bill Clinton. Your children in principle will not understand them - but in the theatre where I saw this film the adults almost rolled on the floor at those moments...)))

My daughters liked this film a lot, I liked it A LOT TOO, and we are so going to buy it on DVD as soon as it is available! Enjoy!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
ROCKY AND HIS FRIENDS (later THE BULLWINKLE SHOW) originally ran on tv from 1959-1964. Besides featuring the adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and their adversaries Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale, the show also included such supporting segments as “Dudley Do-Right,” “Fractured Fairy Tales,” and “Peabody’s Improbable History.” After fifty years of sitting in the background and waiting in the wings while Rocky and Bullwinkle and Dudley Do-Right got their turn at the big screen in poor adaptations, the smartest dog in the world, Mr. Peabody and his pal Sherman finally get their turn.

As a nod to the original segments, MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN begins with a narration from Mr. Peabody, the world’s smartest dog. He gives a brief biography of his life and then introduces Sherman. In the original segment, Sherman was Peabody’s pet. In this day of over political correctness, there’s no way that would fly so Sherman has been promoted from being a pet to being Peabody’s adopted son. To assist Sherman in his education, Peabody created his greatest invention: the WABAC (pronounced Way Back) Machine. The WABAC is a time machine and Peabody has used it to take Sherman back in time to meet famous figures and watch famous historical events as they unfold. All of this has been in preparation for Sherman’s first day of school.

Sherman’s first day of school begins well, but some verbal abuse from a classmate causes him to act completely out of character. Sherman’s act not only causes Peabody to receive a call from the principal, but it also threatens Peabody’s adoption of Sherman. Peabody attempts to make peace by inviting the instigator of the ordeal, a girl named Penny, and her parents over for dinner. Despite her behavior toward him, Sherman is smitten with Penny and one thing leads to another and before you know it, they’ve travel to ancient Egypt and get in a jam and Peabody has to be called upon to rescue them. Their voyage home includes a couple of other side trips in Renaissance Italy where they visit Leonardo Da Vinci and ancient Troy on the eve of the Fall of Troy where they meet Agamemnon and Odysseus (who looks nothing at all like you imagine the man being).

Although things have been updated for a modern audience, MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN is very respectful of the original “Peabody’s Improbable History” segments. For instance, those segments always ended on a bad pun and MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN is filled with bad puns. There are references to other movies as well, such as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and SPARTACUS.

The movie works on a variety of levels. Sherman really acts and sounds like a seven-year old boy and children will not only be able to relate to him, but will be amused with his antics. Then on the other hand, there is Mr. Peabody who really works as a vicarious figure for the adults. Besides the bad puns, he’s full of witty wordplay and makes all kinds of references that children probably won’t understand, but that educated adults will. Of course, there’s also the occasional base-level joke or visual thrown in that amuses almost everyone, such as seeing the Greeks climb out of the posterior end of the Trojan horse instead of the belly; it’s a great visual gag.

Die-hard fans of the original segments might have a little difficulty adapting to the vocals of the leads. Ty Burrell does a good job trying to replicate the visual intonations of Bill Scott as Mr. Peabody, but he does sounds different while Max Charles sounds quite different than Walter Tetley. Personally, I wasn’t bothered by that, but I know there are some that will be.

Besides honoring the tv segment it is based on, MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN is just a great movie that’s full of heart. It’s a story about a father and a son and how their relationship grows and changes. Mr. Peabody has to learn to trust Sherman and let him grow up while Sherman has to find himself, but not forget where he comes from. It is a story that many fathers will relate to and there are a couple of moments in the film that I bet will make many grown men cry (I shed a couple tears).

Although, movie adaptations of tv shows rarely seem to work on the big screen, MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN is an exception to that. It’s an example of a movie that successfully adapts its source material for a modern audience without losing sight of the original material. It’s a movie that both newcomers to Mr. Peabody and Sherman and longtime fans can as well as entire families can truly enjoy together.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I too was a little unsure of how this movie was going to be in theatres. I took my 4 year old son and his 8 year old cousin. We all loved it. The animation was really cute and the storyline was really good. To me a good storyline sells the movie. Plus, Patrick Warburn does one of the voices in this movie. I LOVE him. He's sooo funny. I was sold. We will definitely purchase this movie when it comes out on DVD. 5 stars!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I thought it was trouble when they announced the movie. How do you take a four to five minute segment and turned it into a full-fledged movie? It just wouldn’t work, right? Still, I heard some good things about Mr. Peabody & Sherman and decided a rental would be a great way to find out what the movie was all about. It worked better than I thought it would, but not rushing out to see it was wise on my part.

For those who don’t know the original source material, “Peabody’s Improbable History” was a segment on the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show from the 1960’s. But you don’t need to know much about it because the movie starts off introducing us to Mr. Peabody (voiced by Ty Burrell), the world’s smartest dog who adopts Sherman (Max Charles) as a baby. This leads to his greatest invention, the WABAC machine, which he and Sherman use to experience history. Of course, history doesn’t always start out the way we all know, and at times Peabody has to nudge it in the right direction.

But our story really picks up on Sherman’s first day of school. He runs afoul of Penny Peterson (Ariel Winter), and winds up biting her. With the authorities now thinking that Mr. Peabody isn’t fit to raise a boy, everything the two love might fall apart. So Peabody invites the girl and her family over for dinner. However, Penny isn’t willing to stop goading Sherman until he finally reveals the truth about the WABAC machine. Soon, Penny, Sherman, and Mr. Peabody are racing through time trying to get home safely. Can they do it?

The plot works to give us several fun historical stops over the course of the movie including ancient Egypt and Greece as well as a visit to Leonardo da Vinci. As always, I enjoyed these, especially since they still managed to work in Peabody’s groan inducing puns.

Now, I get they need to figure out a way to stitch these segments together. However, I’m not sure this particular story was the way to go. It felt too forced and heavy handed to me. Plus the attempts to develop Peabody and Sherman as characters felt too contrived. Maybe it’s because I’m used to them being fairly flat over the course of all those segments from the show. It’s not that they are bad characters, but they are more straight men for the antics of the wacky historical figures. To see them treated as more serious characters just felt wrong.

The computer animation is highly stylized, but it’s fun. This isn’t the realistic animation you will see other places, but it never gets in the way of the story.

The voice cast is great at bring their characters to life. I have to give special praise to the leads who did a wonderful job capturing the voices of their characters from the TV show. After the first minute, I felt like I was listening to the original actors.

I think those who aren’t familiar with the originals would really enjoy Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Those who are used to the shorts will probably feel like I do – the movie works, but these characters were better in smaller doses.
on March 12, 2014
Ty Burell is funny! I loved it. The movie was fun and good and funny! I went to see "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" In 3d with my mom this past Sunday morning. The movie is about how a talking dog adopt a boy name Shreman and they have a time machine that can take them to every time in the past.
I can't wait to get it on DVD once it comes out! This movie is so awesome! I think it is for ages 3 and up.
I give it 12 stars!!!
on May 31, 2015
Mr. Peabody and Sherman is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. It may sound weird, since it obviously has nothing in common with other great masterpieces like Citizen Kane. It is, after all, a goofy comedy with cartoony animation. It might be impossible to argue my opinion to anyone who doesn’t enjoy this kind of movie, but Mr. Peabody and Sherman really hit all the right notes for me. And just to emphasize my point I’m a real DreamWorks fan who already expected this movie to be good, and I was still blown away!

Mr. Peabody and Sherman is based on a show-segment from the original Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. Suffice to say, I am not terribly familiar with this series and I know changes were made during its adaptation. The basic premise revolves around a dog named Mr. Peabody who sadly wasn’t adopted as a puppy, but grew up to instead use his massive intelligence to become a noble contributor to society. He is wonderfully brilliant, but also one of the few geniuses in animation who also has a loving heart. A heart so good in fact that he even adopts an abandoned orphan named Sherman and raised him with everything a good father could provide. Among which is a time machine called the WABAC which they use to go back in time to have adventures and see history in the making.

The father-son relationship between this rather mixed-matched couple really comes across as heartwarming and not creepy, because both main characters fill the roles wonderfully with genuine love and compassion between them. However, there are skeptics in this movie who believe a dog shouldn’t be able to adopt and raise a boy. Such is the case during Sherman’s first day at school, when he gets into a fight with a bossy girl named Penny which arises the suspicions of the Children’s Service Agency. Mr. Peabody intends to host a formal party to prove himself a good parent, but after inviting Penny to his house Sherman irresponsibly shows her the WABAC and begins an awkward, crazy adventure to bring her back and avoid any number of time-travel problems they are likely to create.

The movie is a real character-driven story, which you probably wouldn’t expect from the trailer alone. This movie is intended to be quick and snappy for younger viewers who want fast paced slapstick humor. Most other kids movies of that sort are usually dull because they fail to incorporate any kind of intelligence or passion, but Mr. Peabody and Sherman really surprised me. It is a genuinely funny movie with good jokes, good timing, plenty of wit and lots of roller coaster action. Adults can genuinely enjoy the ride, especially when they find certain jokes included just for them. A certain joke about Bill Clinton really caught me off guard laughing.

The more important point I want to make about Mr. Peabody and Sherman, is that this is one of the most honest and sincere children’s movies I’ve ever watched about father-son relationships. There is an extremely thick plot about Sherman learning how to rebel against his father and stumbling along the way. Mr. Peabody also realizes how hard it is to let his son do things on his own, but doesn’t stop loving him. The movie’s pace somehow manages to slow down during those tender, emotional moments and make us genuinely care for the characters who are troubled and hurting. Penny also starts the movie as kind of annoying, as she’s supposed to be, but she grows and matures over time and somehow becomes part of the gang, even though she wasn’t from the original shorts.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman is even better than just another character-driven story because it is also a relatable movie that’s all heart and soul. Going into detail why is difficult to explain because you just have to see it. When you do you really become more and more attached to each character until you just want the story to keep going on forever. Part of the reason this works is because of several sappy cliches that were nicely avoided, such as the misunderstanding moment and the father’s confession moment. None of this distracts either from a very exciting story about perilous time-traveling that takes Mr. Peabody and Sherman from one historical place to another and getting them into deeper and deeper trouble. There was only one part in this movie where the time-traveling was threatening to get overly complicated, but thankfully it didn’t go down that path.

It’s kind of hard to describe how a movie like Mr. Peabody and Sherman could be so great when it doesn’t resemble the other animation greats. But heart and soul is exactly what this movie is bursting with. Passion for the original animated shorts, and determination to make something a new generation of kids would love. Mr. Peabody and Sherman is kind of an underdog classic, but something that I believe will endure. It is, indeed, a great movie that I love very much.
on May 10, 2014
I was surprised. I honestly was not expecting much from this oboe as so many of my childhood favorites have bombed at the box office. This was a great movie. My 3 year old loves this movie. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD for him.
on October 14, 2014
I honestly didn't think I was going to like this movie very much, but was rather surprised. It was a rather fun adventure that I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to end. I personally liked how they handled the two characters and gave them more personality.
on March 30, 2014
I saw this movie yesterday and it is very impressive!Travel in history is really funny.Dog adopt a boy and raise him up.Sherman and Penny's change of affection let me be excited,too.I love this movie and I want to get the blu-ray version.I can't wait for it!=P
on April 7, 2015
Peabody and Sherman not only is a great movie but very educational even on a basic sense. It opens doors for your child to explore and ask about. Make it fun, learn and enjoy. I do everyday with my daughter. Glad I bought it