Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on December 27, 2006
Despite the fact that one of my two kids can read by herself, they still love to listen to bedtime stories. Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story makes for an excellent read-aloud. The pictures are large and comical, and the story itself offers many opportunities for fun voices. It teaches a subtle lesson about appreciating what we have, but it's never preachy and always fun.
on May 5, 2007
You can't help but fall in love with Mr. Pusskins. It's a lesson in love, and delivered with such humour as we watch him barely tolerating all the love and affection gleefully bestowed upon him by his owner Emily, who is a little girl. Mr. P is rather curmudgeonly and he sets out on his own. After initially enjoying his freedom, he finds that he didn't appreciate Emily, that life isn't very pleasant without her, and how lucky he had been to have her. Did Emily miss him? Would he find her? Would she take him back??? The suspenseful ending made me laugh and cry at the same time.

The drawings are wonderful. Mr. Pusskins' expression, as you can tell by the cover, is perfectly drawn.

As they said on NPR, it's a classic "cat loses girl, cat gets girl" story.
on June 10, 2012
A well crafted children's story. Not overly wordy. My 3 year old twins seem to grasp it pretty well. My daughter likes to point out when Mr. Pusskins is sorry. And, both kids can "read" it to themselves, having memorized the content. Next week it will be onto another favorite, but this is definitely the pick of the week.
on September 26, 2008
I saw this book on display about a year ago at a bookstore. I was so glad to find it again! I'm a 41-year-old woman, and I was instantly smitten with the crotchety Mr. Pusskins. His "portrait" on the front of the book reminds me of when I haven't had coffee. I see there's a second Mr. Pusskins book -- I simply must have it! With Christmas coming up, this would make a fabulous gift to anyone with a sense of humor, no matter what their age.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 21, 2009
Our family absolutely loves this book. It has all the fun elements that make it easy to read but also a joy to act out and emote. It has definitely been our favorite of all the children's books we have read. I can't recommend it enough for story time and bedtime reading. No heavy lectures, no overbearing storylines, just a fun little tale of a mean little kitty who learns to appreciate what he has.
on January 16, 2014
we first read it in a library, we ended up went back to borrow it since the next few days after that my daughter talked about it a lot. we bought one later. it tells not only the personality of cat, also it tells the children to appreciate the love from family and friends, even it could be too much or "unwanted" sometime:). Love sometime is not appreciated enough unless it is lost, but do not worry, it can be regained.
on January 22, 2013
The seller promptly sent the book in good, gently used condition. My kids LOVE it! My three year old wants it read over and over again. We have loved all the Mr. Pusskins books, and his antics and attitude did not disappoint in this story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 13, 2009
I had to pick up "Mr. Pusskins". Once I saw his crabby cat countenance on the cover, I would have picked his book, even if I didn't have kids as an excuse. He is just too delightful for words.

Now, having read the book more than a few times, I'm here to recommend it you as a very nice book for children between Toddler and 8 years of age. The reason being, not only the sweet, colorful artwork, but the wonderful message that Sam Lloyd has woven into this tale.

The story is about Mr. Pusskins and the girl that absolutely adores him. She shares all her best things with him, but does Mr. Pusskins appreciate the brushing and story-telling? NO he does not. And so one day he decides to 'go and have some fun'.

Well at the end of the book, Mr. P~ learns a thing or two about life and love. And I think children will get the message. And all of us will be reminded that sometimes we take things for granted, when we shouldn't.

Talking Points:::
Bright, sweet, fun artwork!
Great message and delivery.
Good read-aloud for the Toddler to 8 year-old range

Pam T~
mom and reviewer for BooksForKids-reviews
on June 25, 2015
Took my son to the library the other day and let him pick the majority of books we read. This was one of them and of course he picked it because..well cats.

Mr. Pusskins is a mean cat. His owner shows him nothing but love. But Mr. Pusskins is not content and decides to venture out into the world. Till one day he realizes just how good he had it when he was back home.

The drawings in the book were fun. Mr. Pusskins was perfectly show to be a curmudgeon. I mean look at that cover! How much meaner can one cat look? Ok so the cat wasn't mean...he was just the sterotypical cat that ignores its owner. I can't tell you how many times my own cat ignores my calls for cuddling or playing with his toy mouse.

I like that the cat missed his owner and in the end became less of a sour puss. My son of course loved the cat even when he was all feral looking. I don't think he picked up on the appreciating what you have message but he enjoyed it all the same.

This one was a 5 out of 5.
on March 25, 2011
My 4-year-old daughter and I both loved this fun, smart and slightly irreverent read. We borrowed it from my brother who heard it being read on National Public Radio. The book is dedicated to the author's father, and it's not a stretch to imagine the author writing about her teenage years, with her as Mr. Pusskins and her dad being Emily. A fresh and thoroughly enjoyable story about not taking your good life and reliable loved ones for granted.