5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Mr. Show
Published on July 8, 2004 by Matt D

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?
If you want to see Mr. Show at its best, I highly recommend seasons 2 and 3. Season 1 is definitely recommended as well because you can see Mr. Show grow and create it's own world of comedy. Make no mistake, Mr. Show at its best must be mentioned in the same breath with any other great comedy show that comes to mind...in the history of comedy.

However, by...
Published on February 10, 2011 by Mark Twain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Mr. Show, July 8, 2004
Matt D "zeledonia" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
I've probably watched every episode of Mr. Show at least 5 times, and I gotta say, Season 4 was by far the best. The sketches got more outlandish and funnier as the seasons went on, and some of the stuff in the fourth season had shocked me as much as it made me laugh. I also think the transitions between scenes got much more clever and crisper as the seasons progressed, and by season 4 they were incredible. The episode with the "Description of the lion's roar" is particularly great. I've been itching for this to come out since I first heard about Mr. Show being released on DVD.
Clearly explaining why this season was funnier than the rest is about as difficult as describing the comedy of Mr. Show to the uninitiated, so I'm going to resist trying. I'll post a more detailed review once it's out, but I'm gonna be eagerly awaiting my copy.
A note of caution, though: the humor in this season is decidedly darker than in seasons 1 through 3, and certain sketches may be a little disturbing to some viewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinds are like regulars, now., January 2, 2005
THIS IS THE ONE!

The other DVD collections for seasons 1, 2 & 3 were pretty funny (OK...some of the funniest stuff of all time, especially "Druggachusetts," and "The Chip on the Shoulder Club") but THE FOURTH SEASON WAS WHEN IT ALL CAME TOGETHER. It doesn't get any better than the episode called "Show Me Your Weenis!" The first time I saw this, in 1998 when it first aired, I realized that this was the absolute pinnacle of intelligent, over-the-top American comedy. Surreal, sharp, better than any British zaniness, and full of bizarre ideas like "furniture for the blind" that lets you know where you are with pre-recorded celebrity voices; and the all-time greatest, "Wyckyd Scepter," which must be seen to be believed.

Bob and Dave, you are SO naked!

Better than Monty Python ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. BETTER THAN ANY OTHER SO-CALLED "COMEDY" SERIES I CAN THINK OF.

IF YOU GET ONLY ONE OF THE MR. SHOW DVD SETS, GET THIS ONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, July 29, 2004
Vampire Truth (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
The stated objective of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross in making "Mr. Show" was to give America its own Monty Python's Flying Circus. They failed in this, because THEIR SHOW WAS BETTER THAN MONTY PYTHON. They were on cable, so they had similarly crummy resources, but they also had the luxury of time (they didn't have to grind out an episode every six days like the Pythons did).

Season Four of "Mr. Show" is the year it all came together, but seasons one two and three had their moments too. You could do a lot worse than buying up all three "Mr. Show" DVD sets, especially if you're a fan of absurdist comedy, done with wit, intelligence, and a healthy crudity too. There is no better sketch comedy show ever, it's as simple as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can already see his bing-bong and his flabby habby babby, July 27, 2004
Jeffrey Hubbard (Murray, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
Good lord, there are some great things in life, but I don't know if anything else is this great. I've only seen about six or seven of the fourth season episodes, but based on what I've seen, I'd have to agree with others here that this season stands atop Mr. Show mountain as the finest they produced. I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for this set to arrive, so another month and a half isn't going kill me, I suppose.

Mr. Show is phenomenal comedy, but it's really so much more - a way of life, a way of looking at the world, perhaps. I've never been witness to smarter comedy, where the material often actually gets funnier after repeated viewing.

Mr. Show is the true way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, June 16, 2004
A. J Sereda "Andy" (Chandler, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
Before Season 4 came out, I had never watched Mr. Show. I saw commercials for it and everything, but wasn't interested. So, on one of those "lonely" nights, I started watching it. I must say I was very impressed! I was on the floor rolling it was so funny. The "Taint" sketch blew my mind! The "Civil War re-enactment" was just like you would see on the History channel. I recorded the rest of the episodes, only to find out it was the last season produced. I bought the first 3 seasons when they came out on DVD, but nothing touches Season 4 in my mind. All of the sketches had me in stitches. The way the sketches flow into each other, and feed off one another, unbelievable! I know that there are those people out there that don't "get it" (like one of my ex-girlfriends)and think that everything should be P.C. Whatever. They probably think "Sex and the City" is funny, which isn't to me, but then again I have a sick mind, so scratch that.
I'm just pleased as punch that Season 4 is finally coming out on DVD.
Squash is on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Bob and David your money., October 19, 2004
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
I keep telling my friends and peers to watch this show. The people on Mr Show take comedy seriously, and their efforts pay off. The commentaries on these dvds are great, and I love the Mr Show Jukebox. I've played "Garden of Hate" so many times that I'm sure even the other people in my apartment building have it memorized. So give Mr Show your money for being so inspiringly hilarious despite their terrible time slots and low budget. I could hug every cast member, writer, and stage hand for choking me with laughter those bleak monday nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you watch only one season of Mr. Show...., September 8, 2004
Richard Chung (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
...make sure it's this one. There are some truly classic episodes in this, the final season on HBO. I had seen the tail end of season three and all of this season, and based on that, I purchased the first two seasons when they came out on DVD, but in my opinion, there is no comparison. This season was far and away, the best.

Episode #406, "It's Insane This Guy's Taint!" is an almost non-stop laugher, but honestly, all the episodes are good for multiple laughs.

All in all, best season of one of the best sketch comedy shows ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professor Murder!, July 13, 2004
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
The Mr. Show did something others seldom do, they got out leaving us wanting more! This is the season to beat, with Sweetie Pie Jenkins, Wykyd [sic] Sceptre, warring summer camps and best of all a "mouth full of sores!' The song we can't stop singing. This is the chance to complete a collection of absolutley beautiful american sketch comedy, and that don't happen often!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now, thank yourself later., October 7, 2004
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
Mr. Show over it's four seasons gained a strong cult following despite the fact that HBO chose to air it first on fridays at midnight, then to mondays at midnight. Undeterred the group continued to explore their own unique, smart, and utterly hilarious take on comedy. By the time the fourth season rolled around they appeared to have a firm grasp on what worked and what didn't and as a result this season hit new highs in hilarity. Sadly, it would be their final season as Bob, David and the cast went their seperate ways. They would reunite for the disasterous "Run, Ronnie, Run" and the more successful "Hooray For America 2002" tour. It's hard to think given the great critical acclaim and the large following they have emassed that the temptation to reunite on a project would be easy to resist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob & David Kill With 4th Season, October 12, 2004
This review is from: Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
As a loyal Mr. Show fan from day one, I was thrilled when the seasons began appearing on DVD. Season 4 is, by far, the best season, and the most entertaining DVD.

With episodes like "Life is Precious, and God, and the Bible", and "Patriotism, Pepper, Professionalism", Bob and David demonstrate again and again why they are probably the most under-rated comics in America today.

Bouncing between absurdist sketch plots and clever one-liners, the show manages to blend straightforward visual comedy with more complex references and subtle punchlines. Humor snob or not, Mr. Show will make you laugh out loud time and again through season 4.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season
Mr. Show - The Complete Fourth Season by Bob Odenkirk (DVD - 2014)
$24.98 $7.75