Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 6, 2011
Lorraine Wallace is the wife of Fox News Sunday anchor Chris Wallace, known by his fans as "Mr. Sunday". Lorraine's delicious soups became the meal of choice every Sunday when he returned home from a long morning at his anchor job. As he raved about them on-air, everyone wanted the recipes. This cookbook is the Wallace's response to the requests.

The book includes soup recipes by season with lots of colorful photos. All the recipes look delicious and nourishing. The only one I've tried so far is the hearty lentil soup which was great and I look forward to trying many more. Other offerings include Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup, Senate Bean Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Mexican Albondigas, Tortellini Meatball Soup, Greek Lemon Soup, Frogmore Stew and several kinds of chili, to name just a few. Lorraine also includes her recipes for basic stocks. Most of the recipes seem easy to make and include commonly found ingredients or those that could be substituted (canned or frozen clams instead of fresh, for example, for the clam chowder recipe).

I did enjoy this cookbook and also liked that the author included some family photos and lets the reader catch a glimpse of the Wallace's family life.

I was given a copy of this book for review by the publisher but the opinion is mine alone and wasn't solicited. If I didn't like the book I would say so.
55 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
I love this book! Lorraine's focus on cooking with seasonal organic ingredients is fabulous and the recipes are delightful. My family's favorites so far are the Hearty Lentil and Vegetable Salad Soup. But this is more than just a cookbook. This is a touching reminder of how precious and important it is to spend time with our families. The classic enduring truth is that most of what is really important in life is often shared over a home-cooked meal with your family. After reading Mr. Sunday's Soups, I am resolved to prioritize our family meal times. Thanks Lorraine!
on January 16, 2011
Great to have so many soup recipes at my fingertips! There's something for everyone in this book.

I like to make big vats and store in freezer bags - great for meals or snacks throughout the winter - handy, delicious and nutritious!
on April 15, 2011
My husband bought this cookbook and I was skeptical to say the least. But I have to say that I have been nothing but overwhelmingly pleased with every recipe I have tried so far. I have made 4 of the recipes so far and every one has been excellent. The hearty lentil, garlic chicken, minestrone and black bean turkey chili. It has been going on about 2 months now and I cook up batches and freeze them in single servings and have one for lunch everyday with a small salad and it is just perfect. Love love love them. Also I am now making my own broth with the recipes and it is much better for you without all the sodium in the canned ones. Thank you for writing a cookbook I actually can use for once. Also, thanks to the hubby for buying it. He did good!!
on January 25, 2011
Very useful, fun, cookbook. I enjoyed the family stories. I've tried three recipes so far and all were good, one was exceptional. The Hearty Lentil soup was outstanding. Easy, healthy, and quite delicious. The added curry really provided a nice sweet taste. Chicken Soup and Herb Dumplings was also quite a good recipe. The dill dumplings were the best I've found over the years. Minestrone and Arugula Salad Soup was also good. The arugula on top added a nice touch. I used homemade chicken broth (Ina's recipe). I can't wait to try some more. There's over 70 soups. I love the recipes because most appear to be simple recipes with standard ingredients and don't take hours to cook. Thanks for sharing, Lorraine and for providing the Kindle edition. The i-Pad is great in the kitchen.
on February 19, 2011
With all the helpful pictures this book of soup recipes is useful and inspiring. I had no idea there were so many varieties of soups. I'm so glad I have it. It would be even more useful if it also came as a ring-binder, or spiral binding, so that it would stay open more easily while I'm cooking.Mr. Sunday's Soups
on April 15, 2011
This book should have been titled, "Mr Sunday's meals". The soup recipes are wonderful and so abundant with ingredients that there might be no need to consume anything else afterwards. Mrs Wallace's creativity astounds and satisfies this writer's taste buds. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed her "Salmon Chowder, Oxtail, Green Kale and Kielbasa, Pumpkin and Pear,and Chinese Chicken Noodle" soups. No wonder her husband, Chris Wallace is so full of vim, vigor and sharp-edged wit on his televised show. These soups are nutritious, delicious, and
energizing.

Soups galore. Recipes categorized for Fall, Winter,Spring,Summer, Friends and Family, Game Day favorites and even "Strong Families Start with Good Bones" -- a chapter on stocks:chicken broth, vegetable broth, light fish broth, rich beef broth.

Some Wallace family photos and biographical info is sprinkled among the recipes. Like spices and seasonings, these historical family tidbits enhance the book. "Mr. Sunday's Soups" is both practical, fun and easy to read. Kudos to the author/cook, Mrs Lorraine Wallace.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in good cooking and good food.
on February 22, 2011
O.K. - I have a file folder stuffed w/soup recipes and a few other soup cookbooks, so I didn't NEED another one. But, operating under the principle that one cannot have too many cookbooks, I rounded up to 105.

The book is lovely to look at and written with lots of suggestions for ingredient substitutions and do-aheads that work. The Tortilla Soup broth was unique, delicious and we liked piling on the garnishes. Ditto the Italian Meatball Soup (which until now we'd only had from a can)and Tortellini Meatball.

Mrs. Sunday includes many photos of their blended family with weddings, baptisms, etc. which creates a very personal, warm style and I'm old enough to appreciate the shot of Mr. Sunday's dad.

My only disappointment is that I can't lay it flat for ease of use. Maybe next time?
on February 22, 2011
I began looking for an easy soup cook book for my husband and I for wintry Sunday afternoons. As I enjoy watching Fox News Channel, and especially Chris Wallace, I was intrigued to get Chris's wife's new Soup Book. Ever since I purchased her book, I have tried one soup every week and my husband and I love her soups, especially the French Onion Soup which we tried last week! Delish!! They are so easy to make.
I can't wait to try this week's attempt - Hearty Minestrone Soup!
on September 19, 2015
Though I have only made a few of the recipes in this book, I must say, this cookbook has quickly replaced previous favorites in the soup section of my bookshelf. I find this book on my nightstand quite often, anxious for an opportunity to try another recipe in Lorraine's book.

As with any recipe, one should review the ingredients and techniques first. By no means are my changes intended to 'correct' the recipes, but rather to add my own flair and tastes to enhance what my family enjoys, like extra carrots!

For example, the Tortellini Meatball Soup was fabulous, though I made small changes such as replacing half the sausage with hamburger, and may consider cooking the meatballs first before adding them to the soup, instead of adding them raw, as called for in the recipe. Certainly, while they cook to proper temperature, they are a bit soft, and we simply prefer our meatballs a little more firm. Otherwise, this recipe is definitely a keeper, makes an attractive meal, and is well worthy of serving to company. Made it, ate it, loved it! Don't skimp, use the ingredients that are called for in the recipe.

Next up, the Chicken Garlic Straciatella. Excellent. I almost look forward to someone telling me that they don't feel well, just so I can present a batch of this soup. Don't fret - twenty garlic cloves is not too much. The only changes I made were to skip using the blender, and just crush the garlic instead of slicing it, prior to beginning the second step of the soup. One pound of spinach seemed a bit much, so I used less, half that amount would be just fine. Next time, I will add more carrots, and also a scoop of cooked seashell pasta. If you are unable to locate Pecorino cheese, Parmesan is a good replacement. Made it, ate it, loved it.

Next up - French Onion Soup, and then Beef Barley.

I can already tell, this cookbook will be dog-eared and tattered in no time. Thank you, Lorraine.
review image