5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, not as good as the first, but still funny..., August 6, 2003
This review is from: Mr. Vampire II (DVD)
This is the second DVD in the "Mr. Vampire" saga, staring this time a modern day larcenous Professor and his two college interns. In this installment, the professor unearths a century old tomb with the remains of a woman, a man, and a child. (If you've saw the first Mr. Vampire, you might recognize the magic spells attached to each corpses forehead as spells to prevent the dead from rising).
Of course the 'professor' being more intent on STEALING from the tomb, doesn't notice this. He takes the bodies back to the lab, and his assistant inadvertently remove the spells...Surprise, they revive. Although the professor manages to contain the adults, the child vampire escapes, causing many amusing hijinks.
While I liked Mr. Vampire 2, some elements I could have lived without. The one assistant who killed and ate things like frogs, and the innards of snakes (while they were still alive) for 'tonics', just grossed me out and seemed to have been added for shock value. Also, the 'cutsie' scenes with the child-vampire and the Chinese single-parent family just went on WAY too long. I mean, a little is okay 20 minutes is overkill.
Overall, though, quite amusing. A funny edition to the Mr. Vampire Saga

5.0 out of 5 stars The eternal Sifu Returns for another round., November 2, 2000
Again the eternal Sifu Lam Ching Ying Returns to use his taoist powers to supress a vampire infestation in our world . This time Lam (Sifu) fights the dark vampire family brought back to life by some idiotic cave explorers.The comedy element is high in this film as it is in the other Mr. Vampire saga Films.This time we have a little munchkin of a vampire boy that befriends and plays with some children that hide him in there closet.The parents also reawakend are searching the city for there child whos busy playing and spooking other kids from the neighborhood. Lam and his funny students of the arts have a hell of a time with the vampire parents that are wreaking hilarious havok on the locals and even are hopping across cartops at one point.Lam and crew work with all there taoist arts to comabet the vampire family yet are somewhat compassionate to the little vampire boy.More comedy antics in this 2nd installment in the Mr. Vampire series a must see and highly recommended.We also see more of the taoist magic and spells used to combat the vampyric chinese undead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Vampire 2, January 31, 2013
This review is from: Mr. Vampire II (DVD)
An archaeological dig in Southeast China uncovers an ancient den of entombed vampires, which the Professor and his bumbling assistants unthinkingly bring back to their workshop to study. Once the spell sheets have been removed from the corpses' foreheads, the vampires spring back to life to terrorize the town, and it is up to a Taoist priest to intervene using his magic powers! Director Ricky Lau unleashes this stand-up sequel to Hong Kong's popular MR. VAMPIRE, complete with an new set of hilarious gags and off-the-wall characters! The impeccable comic timing is carried out once more using carefully-planned fight choreography and physical humor that would make The Three Stooges proud. In its most brilliant moment, one of the two apprentices gets stuck in a pickle between two of the vampires with only one spell sheet left to protect him, so he must strategically move it back and forth against both villains to stop them in their tracks long enough for him to escape. Ricky Lau never repeats the same gag twice, making each new scene freshly entertaining. Many cast members return from the original in all-new roles, with Ching-Ying Lam playing another mystical incarnation of the One-Eyebrow Priest. MR. VAMPIRE fans cannot afford to miss this enjoyable follow-up!

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first, but still very nice., November 15, 2012
Greetings;

I will begin first by saying that the dvd copy that I bought this time around was produced by Media Asia Distribution LTD and Mega Star Video. Which unless I am mistaken, was actually the group that produced the copy of the first Mr. Vampire that I bought. I was pleased with both. This particular company seems to English Dub their movies as the several other titles I have from them also included an English Dub track. Not necessarily the best dub job and indeed, the roles that were recurring, not much beyond Lam Ching Ying-who was the Taoist Priest and...I don't know the other disgusting fellow's name, but he played the police chief(I believe was his roll) in Mr. Vampire and he was one of the two assistants to the grave robbing professor in this film. Neither had the same English voice actor that I can remember, but then again, that isn't why I bought this film.

I have replied to another's review about why some of the actors did what they did and tried to explain some of the scenes as well so I do not think I shall touch up on this. Unless perhaps to say that the film is pretty good overall, though as I am sure you will agree, the scene with the child vampire and the human children does seem to go on for quite a while. I will also say that there is a scene that has a man with a live frog in his mouth, though he doesn't eat it. There was before that, a bit where the same man cut out a snake's heart and swallowed that. I am not entirely sure as to what the ASPCA would have to say about it but then I am not sure if it were a live or real snake(though I do doubt it was either in the scene) but I would imagine that some would probably not care for it even if they understood it better, which I tried to explain in my reply to another review.

While again, not necessarily the best of the Mr. Vampire series, it was still pretty good. Vampire vs Vampire, which was another Lam Ching Ying movie of a similar theme, that was pretty good. Also had the same police chief fellow and another, though not likely the same, child vampire.

Thank you...

Mr. Vampire II
Mr. Vampire II by Ricky Lau (DVD - 2002)
Used & New from: $75.88