5.0 out of 5 stars The Mystery of Human Personality
Although the time covered in this complex novel is only one day, Virginia Woolf, through her genius, manages to cover a lifetime unraveling and exposing the mysteries of the human personality.
The central character of the novel is the delicate Clarissa Dalloway, a disciplined English gentlewoman who provides the perfect contrast to another of the book's characters,...
Published on October 8, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I Am!
I read this novel as a prelude to Michael Cunningham's "The Hours" knowing it was homage to Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway." Reading Woolf took me back to my high school days when reading classic literature was a requirement. I am certainly glad I did not have to take an exam on this book. Call me a contemporary book snob, but I found Woolf's stream...
Published on November 24, 2002 by edzaf

‹ Previous | 119 20 2133 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 3, 2014
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Kindle Edition)
Good book, worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy., August 14, 2014
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Paperback)
Fast delivery. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Septimus Warren Smith, June 26, 2007
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Hardcover)
In this novel, we see into the consciousness of the characters, in particular, Clarrissa Dalloway and the war-beaten Septimus Warren Smith. Woolf writes with empathy which is based on her own inner torment. This causes him to commit suicide due to his aversion to being placed in an institution by Dr. Holmes Bradshaw. Unrequited love for Isabel Pole, resonant in the beginning, shown as his poetry is corrected by her in red ink. This must seem slightly amusing to the author, but I find it sad.

I think I am him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 1, 2014
Shoshana Gottesmann (NEW YORK, NEW YORK, US) - See all my reviews
Perhaps not for men...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love her, August 21, 2014
Can't wait to read it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many run on sentences...in fact paragrapghs., December 19, 2012
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Hardcover)
I had never read Virginia Woolf and found her style...run on sentences thru the whole book for each paragraph with tons of commas difficult to read and distracting. In short, I personally did not care for her style but I think her subject matter is probably good. I might try her poetry ( I think she wrote poetry too) but I am very picky about fiction and writer's styles. I am a nonfiction...history and biographies...girl so perhaps that was the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book; horrible Kindle edition, September 23, 2012
Sam Glover (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Kindle Edition)
I would give the book 4 or 5 stars, but this Kindle edition barely rates 2. The formatting is awful, and the publisher didn't even bother to remove hyphens. It's cheap, but even so, this edition is not worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Dalloway, September 28, 2004
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to anyone. It is filled with romanticism and looking back on past relationships. It deals with death in a different perspective. Mrs. Dalloway shows that although life can be hectic, something good always comes out of it. This book deals with the past, present and what may take place in the future. Mrs. Dalloway tells that it is easier focus on the future instead of dealing with the past. This book also tells us the importance of how short life may be and how we need to spend every moment of it with joy.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, March 2, 2014
First book I ever (finally) read that had no chapters or breaks. Was not impressed with it. I don't recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, August 22, 2014
Great book

‹ Previous | 119 20 2133 | Next ›

Mrs Dalloway (Penguin Popular Classics)
Mrs Dalloway (Penguin Popular Classics) by Virginia Woolf (Paperback - June 28, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.01