5.0 out of 5 stars The Mystery of Human Personality
Although the time covered in this complex novel is only one day, Virginia Woolf, through her genius, manages to cover a lifetime unraveling and exposing the mysteries of the human personality.
The central character of the novel is the delicate Clarissa Dalloway, a disciplined English gentlewoman who provides the perfect contrast to another of the book's characters,...
Published on October 8, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I Am!
I read this novel as a prelude to Michael Cunningham's "The Hours" knowing it was homage to Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway." Reading Woolf took me back to my high school days when reading classic literature was a requirement. I am certainly glad I did not have to take an exam on this book. Call me a contemporary book snob, but I found Woolf's stream...
Published on November 24, 2002 by edzaf

‹ Previous | 119 20 2131 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Example of Reading at Its Best, August 22, 2013
Brilliantly spoken by one of England's best actresses (famous for her performance in "Death and the Maiden"), the spoken word enhances the text. She is reading from a text that reveals that the republication in text in the inexpensive and very slim Cathedral Classics (Aziloth Books) is riddled with errors: whole phrases omitted, important words left out, nonsensical phrases. If you buy a Woolf text,do not buy a cheap reprint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but challenging, August 7, 2013
Woolf's prose is very dense and her roving narrative style provides a bit of a challenge for the reader. Overall, the story was quite interesting. The additional notes and biography were very interesting and helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most enjoyable format for Mrs. Dalloway, August 5, 2013
I tried reading a paperback version of the book several times and couldn't get past twenty pages. Then I thought an audio version would work well, since the book is more like a verbal monologue than typical third person fiction narrative. I previewed a number of audiobook versions. In one, the narrator sounded old and tired; in another the narrator sounded like she was just rushing through it. But the 60 second clip of Juliet Stevenson was captivating. The full version did not disappoint. I finished the whole thing in two weeks of commuter driving, and I felt I absorbed more than I would have if I had read the paperback version (It is a dense book, and I suspect it takes multiple readings to "get" all of it). Even the beginning portions of the book that I had already read were enriched by Ms. Stephenson's cadence and diction. All the asides made sense, especially the ones referring to other people or events, because it was more like having a conversation with a real person. I highly recommend this version.

I do have to deduct one star simply because in the grand scheme of literature, this is not one of my most favorite novels ever. It is merely a fairly great novel, and definitely worth reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend, August 4, 2013
Boring. Had no idea what the point was. Finally, did a Google search to read a review. I guess she was trying to accomplish something in terms of style, but I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Dalloway, August 4, 2013
I chose 4 stars as it was a little drawn out to begin with but once you got into the book it was most enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece, July 28, 2013
M. Burns (West Palm Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Read this many years ago. With this re-reading I was really blown away by the re-realization of what a great writer Virginia Woolf was.

2.0 out of 5 stars It is okay, July 2, 2013
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Paperback)
The book did not garner my interest as I thought it would. The author's words were also sort of difficult to follow along with the storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a classic, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Kindle Edition)
For me, this was a view into a world that disappeared long before I was born.
But the internal human aspects are both timeless and universal.
I love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Mrs. Dalloway (Paperback)
I bought this book used, it said like new and it is just that. I don't think anyone ever read the book let alone opened it very much. I can't wait to read it over the summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, June 12, 2013
A brilliant novel which is a must read. Gets you in someones head like few other books in history. Also this edition is nice because the paragraphs are properly indented.

‹ Previous | 119 20 2131 | Next ›

Mrs Dalloway (Penguin Popular Classics)
Mrs Dalloway (Penguin Popular Classics) by Virginia Woolf (Paperback - June 28, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.01