Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 15, 2000
When Jule Anne walks out her door one day she finds a pesky mud puddle just waiting to jump on her. And if you think that's bad, just wait until you see the other tricks that puddle plays on her. But after being scrubbed clean over and over, Jule Anne comes up with a trick of her own to play on the unsuspecting mud puddle.
Bob Munsch has written yet another light hearted story to which every child can relate and most importantly, laugh about. With his masterful repetion and the fact that he seems to somehow truly know what it's like to be a kid, children will undoubtedly be glued to this story from beginning to end. My kindergarten class cheers each time they see me bring this book out.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 23, 2012
First things first. According to Amazon, the book who's cover you see on this product page is the book you will receive. The book that you see if you click on "Look Inside" is the 1996 edition. The 1996 edition was illustrated by Sami Suomalainen. The book you want is this 2012 edition illustrated by Dusan Petricic. The differences are amazing.

The new book has delicate pastel coloring with a great deal of movement, charm, character and expression. The 1996 edition is fine, but if you look inside you will find the illustrations are heavy, dense and awfully muddy. The new book's typeface is very delicate and lively and I know this sounds sort of goofy, but it really does make the book much more charming and silly. It is a very pretty and light book to hold and examine. Jule Ann is remarkably expressive and displays a great deal of character as the story unfolds.

Because this is a short tale, with repeating themes that build to a funny ending, it really is the kind of story book that needs to be engaging, and it is made or broken by the illustrations and the simple repeating phrases.

I can see this as the type of book that starts out as a silly read-to and then becomes one of a child's first read-myself books. A very happy find.

Please note that I received a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a frank review.
on September 3, 2010
The students in my kindergarten class, year in and year out, love this book more than most other Munsch books- an author they uniformly love. The idea of a mud puddle hiding out around a child's house, waiting to pounce and dirty the child's clean clothes, brings laughter and a little bit of appropriate tension, with each reading. The illustrations are a little bit sloppier and muddier than the normal Munsch books, as Sami Suomalainen does the art instead of Munsch's usual collaborator, Michael Martchenko. The Mud Puddle itself is fluid and sprawling with a gleefully malicious grin that intimidates in just the right way.
A great read for elementary school kids, a book I love to read as I watch the kids react, and to top it all off, the "wonders of soap" appears at the end to help solve the mud puddle problem. Classic Munsch!
on April 20, 2015
Paid good money for this book in hopes of sharing a book from my childhood with my future students. I received a small (3.5 inch by 3.5 inch) paperback copy of the book. I have absolutely no clue how I am going to read this to them, even with a document camera, because the typeset isn't very big!
on June 18, 2013
I read this story to my grandchildren. They enjoyed it very much. I'm a grandmother who still loves to splash in a puddle, feel mud between my toes. These are the little things in life that are free. Of course, I sympathize with the little girl, for I too was always getting dirty or muddy while standing still. My mother would shake her head and change me.I know that yellow soap. My grandchildren identified with little girl. A simple mud puddle makes a lifetime memories.
on September 19, 2013
This was a good book and presented just the right challenge for my first grader. The biggest problem was the formatting on the iPad. If you tapped the words accident,y, the entire text would disappear and the only way to get them back was to exit out and start over. Very frustrating.
on March 11, 2015
The story is past adorably cute, and lovable!!! I'm writing this review, because amazon wrote me saying the book had a upgraded version, fixing errors. (I had read the book multiple times with no issue) but fixed it anyways. The pictures went from being bigger and fitting my screen to being tiny little photos that are much harder to see. With young children I love having a kindle to have over 200 children books on. It's a personal library on the go! How sad it was for us to read a story and not enjoy it the same. The best part of the story is the pictures and now they are hard to see. I really hope they don't continue making children books like this.
on April 25, 2013
Robert Munsch does it again - He captures the irresistible attraction children have to mud puddles with this story - but it is not the child's fault - it is those puddles that sneak up and get you! :D a delight as always!
on January 16, 2016
They need to warn you that this is only 3" by 3". It's a cute story but because it is so little the print and pictures are small. That doesn't do the pictures justice. I wouldn't have purchased the book if I'd known it was so little.
on January 19, 2016
We giggle everytime we read this story...the thought of a mudpuddle attacking anyone is just too funny! The story is easy to read and fun to dramatize with the "SPLAT!" and the repeated ordeal of getting all the mud washed out of everywhere on this poor kid's body and the tedious redressing it takes each time the puddle attacks her. The end was the big triumph when the mud puddle finally gets out foxed.