5.0 out of 5 stars A family adventure written for anyone.
I read one of the author's other books (Momentum is Your Friend) and really enjoyed it. Then I saw that he had just had another one published and thought I had to get it! Mostly because I enjoy his style of humour, but also because it was written about a trip across the country I live in, and finally because I support parents who spend so much quality time with their...
Published on December 26, 2009 by Al Lens

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, Grand Adventure
I found the book tough to get through. Not to get personal, but it's hard to believe the author's a professional writer. It's poorly written, full of largely uninteresting anecdotes and jokes that are so bad, they don't even merit a groan. Ever been caught at a party by a guy who can't stop talking about himself? I felt the same way about this book. It's also strangely...
Published on September 15, 2011 by Yi-Ching Hsieh

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, about people more than anything, with the happy addition of cycling, March 6, 2010
This review is from: Mud, Sweat, and Gears: A Rowdy Family Bike Adventure Across Canada on Seven Wheels (Hardcover)
I loved this book! I'm not much of a bike tourer, but do like to cycle. I'm not a gear head, and frankly it took me years to warm up to the cycling culture in my area and I still don't like the prevailing holier than thou attitude of many cyclists. I've read Lance's books/biographies and those of other professional cyclists with interest but can't, and don't want to, connect to the world view represented in those books--this is a gross generalization, but the narcissism tends to overshadow the storyline.
My point with the above negativity is to juxtapose that sort of book with this one. Joe Kurmaskie is an excellent writer--he actually is a writer and his books reflect that. Everything I've read by him has been entertaining and has shared alot about the places he's traveled through and the people he meets. He also has lots of great bike stories.
And with this newest book we get to learn about his childhood and his wife and his past. When I first received this book as a gift, I actually thought, this will be annoying--a long bike ride with all the crazy antics of what will turn out to be cute, highly gifted and talented children. Instead, it wasn't, the kids were there, but they were real, and with all of his other books, the stories were more about the personal interactions with interesting people met along the road.
Lastly, Joe has a big heart and it shows in his writing. He is actively trying to make the world a better place.
I highly recommend all of his books, they are funny and interesting, and deserve a place on the bookshelf of not just bike-enthusiasts but anyone who wants a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scratch that adventure itch, December 20, 2009
I can't pretend to be a book critic, but I had given up on several before this one, let alone wanted more. If you enjoyed "Momentum is your friend", I'd say this is a safe bet. With the help of Beth's perspective in the footnotes, the book took me along- many times I laughed (sorry, neighbor), was touched, and got revved to roll. The Kurmaskie family's adventure makes a fine example of how to live for the moment, pedal hard for what you want, and seek the good in people and challenging times. They help remind us of what we have inside ourselves and around us to be thankful and fight for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Fun and Insightful, May 23, 2014
Joe Kurmaskie reminds me of Bill Bryson, except that I laughed even more with Joe's words. Being a bicycle rider and tourist (although I am one) is not required to enjoy his stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mud, Sweat, and Gears, August 18, 2013
I wish I could give this book 5 stars, but (and this has nothing to do with the book or author(s)) the Android+Kindle version of this just didn't work very well. There are a lot of foot notes, and pagination has to be just right in order for that to work. As it is, I found myself having to jump back and forth between pages, and sometimes trying to figure out whether text in the middle of the page was supposed to be in-line or not.

Anyway, don't let this keep you from reading the book - it is really good. Just consider getting a hard copy, or be aware that there will be a little bit of inconvenience with a digital edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, tiresome at times, March 12, 2013
Great book, must read for cycling genre enthusiasts. Weak points include long non-cycling anecdotes where more time could have been spent on details about the tour. For instance - what happened between Albert and Nova Scotia!!?!? 95% of the book about a ride across Canada takes place in Washington state, BC and Alberta. Then 'we arrived in Nova Scotia'. What happened?

4.0 out of 5 stars Mud, sweat and Gears, February 23, 2013
bob0505 (boston, mass) - See all my reviews
Fun book, wished I was there with his family riding along, Joe must be easy going and have a great sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy Parents!, February 15, 2013
The complete title is: “Mud, Sweat and Gears: A Rowdy Family Bike Adventure Across Canada on Seven Wheels” By Joe Kurmaskie with footnotes provided by his gorgeous wife Beth.

Folks, I have read all of Joe’s previous books, I have seen him speak in person, and I follow him on Facebook almost everyday, but I have to tell you, this book truly impressed me. It was MUCH more than I expected. I was ready for trials and tribulations as he pedaled across Canada. Yep got it. I was ready to laugh out loud at the antics of 4 male children (I am counting Joe in this number, just as my wife counts me as one of the kids) Check! in fact, it made me laugh loudly on a plane flight, loud enough that I thought the flight attendant was starting to think I had been drinking. Shoot I was even ready to feel sorry for his wife! (Surprisingly I didn’t!)

What I wasn’t prepared for, and being the cold and callous type it surprised me how much it affected me, was learning exactly how much Joe loves both his wife and his mom. Interspaced between light saber battles, animal sightings, speedo clad Irishmen and rutting elk, Joe tells the story of his and Beth’s falling in love. Even my icicle heart melted a bit. Then add to his relationship with his mom, hell it made me want to call mine.

Finally, Beth’s footnotes gives us an insight to the “poor” woman’s life awash is testosterone! Not only is she a saint to have married and stuck with him, she is hilarious in her own right!

Combine all this with Joe’s story telling skills, and this book will make you want to hug your kids, kiss your wife, take mom to dinner and ride across country ALL at the same time. I knew before this book that he was one helluva writer, but he out did himself with this one!

5 Stars to the Metal Cowboy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, December 27, 2012
This is a great book! Joe never disappoints. Lots of fun tales of his family adventure. A great read even for non-cyclists.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, easy to read, June 9, 2012
Mark L. Stosberg (Richmond, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put this book down. It's an enjoyable family adventure story that made me want to give my own epic family trip a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining!, November 5, 2011
Fred K. Aron "Fred K. Aron" (Fairfax, va United States) - See all my reviews
The Metal Cowboy rides again! His naratives make you feel like you are there, and his wife's comments are awesome and often hillarious in the way a wife can be when commenting on what their spouse says. A great read!

$23.95 $21.56