1,100 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great support for aching backs
If you have a serious back injury, first see a doctor and be sure and ask about physical therapy while you are there. Physicians don't always think of this non-surgical approach to lower back pain without a little encouragement! Having a strong core is nature's back brace, and it will protect you from injury better than anything you can buy on Amazon!

But if...
Published on January 24, 2010 by S.A.

Published 15 months ago by Bread Basket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great support for aching backs, January 24, 2010
S.A. "bham" (Southeastern MI USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

But if you are looking to prevent a further incident of back pain, this brace can be very helpful. Ever since I suffered a case of whiplash a few years back, I have worn this brace while I play sports, clean house or garden. From the minute I put it on, I feel secure and supported. If I do any of the above without it, the next morning I pay the price when I get out of bed. On those days, I put on the brace and wear it all day long.

I like the double adjustment on this brace. When I tighten the first set of velcro straps, it feels good, but when I tighten the second set over that, the resulting compression and support relieve those twings of backache right away.

I have a couple of neoprene belts I got at the drugstore. They don't support as well, and they cause my midsection to sweat unbearably. The velcro attachments pull away after time and start to scratch.

This brace is very well made and should hold up for years of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best brace I've found for driving, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Mueller Adjustable Lumbar Back Brace, Black, Regular, 1-Count Package (Health and Beauty)
As someone who suffers from sciatica problems, I've been looking for a decent back brace to help alleviate the pain, especially when driving. I tried several, and this one with the lumbar support really does the trick.

I tried a couple of other brands, but Mueller overall produces a great product for a reasonable price. Construction is excellent - seams are tight, ample velcro, easy to put on and take off. I have a 34" waist and this fits fine -- could easily accomodate several more inches.

I started with the basic Mueller brace (the one without the lumbar). Nice, but didn't really help all that much in terms of pain. The higher end Mueller (the one with the laces on the back) was also very nicely made and a snap to adjust, but again, it didn't offer the support I needed. The lumbar pad on this model makes all the difference. They have videos of several of their models on their website which are very helpful, but they are hard to find -- I just stumbled across them by plugging in the model numbers. Good info, but a very poorly organized site.

Everyone's back is different, so unfortunately you'll need to try out various models to see what hits the sweet spot for your condition. All three Muller braces that I've tried were all very well made and a good value, so I can highly recommend the brand.

I ended up buying two so I could keep one in the car and one at home. I found that using both lumbar supports next to one another makes the support even better. The lumbar pads attach with velcro, and there is room to fit both on the same belt side-by-side. That works best for me when driving. A single lumbar pad works well for when I'm mobile.

I also want to pass along some advice I received from my physical therapist regarding braces. While they can be huge help, you should not wear one constantly since it can lead to muscle atrophy. The ideal situation is to build up your core muscles so they do the job on their own. A brace is just a stop-gap to help cut down on pain on the bad days or when you are stressing the muscles (which, for me, occurs when I'm driving long distances). Used judiciously they're great; used improperly can make the situation worse.

If you're reading this you probably have back pain, and I very much hope you find the right solution that helps make the situation better or at least more tolerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Low Back Pain, Buy Suspenders Too, April 21, 2010
William R. Drake (Nevada City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I appear to be in the early stages of a herniated disc, with discomfort in my left butt, hip and leg, and tingling sensations in my left leg and foot when standing in one position. It has not yet advanced to actual sciatic pain. My chiropractor suggested I try a back brace to be able to work (where I stand a lot)without the tingling (which is counterproductive). I ordered this brace and use it WITHOUT the little detachable lumbar pad, at my chiropractor's recommendation. It is really great. It does prevent the tingling and makes my work situation much easier. I tried a different brace before this one but, while it stopped the tingling, it was not as nice or as adjustable. I have a 32" waist and this brace works very well for a wide range of sizes.

I've researched pros and cons of braces and one word of advice is to only wear one when it is needed, ideally only a few hours a day, because it can contribute to muscle atrophy. Another caution about braces and lifting: they can cause one to feel overconfident and to lift more than they should and therefore contribute to injury or increased injury, so one has to use common sense. It is ideal if you have a knowledgeable health practitioner who can work with you regarding your ailment (if you have an ailment) and regarding the use of a brace.

This is a very well made, high quality brace, which is relatively comfortable (as these things go). It is definitely superior to some of the other braces on the market and I highly recommend it. The the only thing I don't like about it is that, unlike some braces, it does not come with shoulder straps, which would allow you to loosen it and keep it around your waist when it is not needed. This can be very useful when you use the brace intermittently during the day and need it to be readily available for use. For this purpose, I bought a pair of McGuire-Nicholas "115" heavy duty black suspenders (the type used for holding tool belts, etc.; available on Amazon and at some hardware stores). They are very adjustable and work well for holding the brace when it is loosened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back pain relief, December 2, 2009
I have degenerative disc disease and this is a life saver. I have used back braces before but they pale in comparison. Does not "ride up" or fold over as the flimsier ones do. Has a removable lumbar support. States one size fits all...I do not know if that my be true for the extremely obese, but fits me well at 42 inch waist and appears that it would serve well for larger sizes (or smaller).
Well made and certainly worth the price and a must have if you need to bend over and hold that position for any length of time with out pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, well-made, sturdy back support, November 7, 2011
As is my bent, I would like to first comment on some of the comments from existing reviews.

The product features clearly state that this back brace fits 28-inch to 50-inch waists; to comment that it was too small or too large for one's girth is to say that it does not fit waists smaller than 28-inches or larger than 50-inches - which impels the question: so why'd you buy it? Trust me, I'm not trying to be a wise-guy but to downgrade a product because it was not designed to fit everyone seems unreasonable.

Another commented that this back brace is dangerous because it interfered with one's breathing; the lumbar pad also prevented the brace from lying close to the back. In the first instance, this back brace has a dual strap system: the inner, which attaches the brace to the abdomen; and the outer, which applies pressure to the back. Abdominal compression is primarily derived from the inner straps which can be adjusted to minimize diaphragmatic impingement. The outer straps primarily provide back support. Of course, the effects of both straps are additive: the abdominal straps support the back, the back supports compress the abdomen. Nevertheless, each can be adjusted independently to provide comfortable wear and adequate support. As noted in the product description, the lumbar pad is removable so objections to its presence seem misplaced.

Finally, I did not notice any smell at all; then again, I smoke a pipe: perhaps I smell little.

I enjoy L5-S1 disc issues and over the last year sought support from different back braces - all of which had significant shortcomings. Solid rubber bands work fairly well but don't breathe resulting in a perspiration-soaked shirt. Single band mesh braces don't work as well, for me at least, because they rely solely on abdominal compression (which can be excessive) to support the back; they also tend to curl downward from the top. The dual-strap Mueller back brace under consideration eliminates both of these objections. As noted, above, the inner straps fit the brace to the body with as much, or little, abdominal pressure as desired. The outer straps support the back with minimal added compression to the abdomen. The overall design is such that I experience no curling of the straps regardless of how tight or loose I apply them. Furthermore, because of the breathable design, I do not experience any sweating, even after protracted wearing.

This Mueller back brace provides adequate support for me (37-inch waist) without discomfort, sweating, or curling. Obviously, I cannot say that everyone would be satisfied with this brace but it suits me and performs exactly as described. Given its accurate description, I suspect that most users, who fall within its design parameters, would be most satisfied with its performance.

UPDATE May 15, 2012

After six months using this brace 2-3 times a week, it looks new: no deterioration, curling, or defects. More importantly, I've discovered it helps me in a couple of other significant ways. In addition to back issues, I enjoy epigastric and umbilical hernias, which are aggravated by any activities that involve abdominal muscles. By virtue of its abdominal support, this back brace prevents stretching of the hernias and/or immediately eliminates attendant discomfort if it occurs. Furthermore, in the course of using this brace, I've discovered that it also eliminates abdominal cramps/discomfort, in my case, regardless of the cause - all of which makes me wonder if it might lessen menstrual cramping, which for some women can be disabling.

Ed

1.0 out of 5 stars DECEPTION IN THE WEBSITE DESCRIPTION-NOT 50 INCHES. 36 INCHES IS MORE LIKE IT, July 16, 2013
I had read many of the reviews but since my waist is 36 -38, I ASSUMED it would fit since the website says up to 50 inches. "up to" is what it will fit. Facts: The belt is 42 inches from tip to tip. Because it has Velcro, you need approximately 4 inches for overlap the first overlap. That being said, you deduct 4 from 42 and you end up with 38. But there is a second overlap which deducts a couple more inches. And since you need a inch here or there due to clothing or your spine structure, I would say 36 INCHES WITH CLOTHING IS THE MAXIMUM I WOULD ASSUME TO FIT CONFORTABLY. The stretching material is about 1/2 inch wide and you would really have to work on it to get fifty inches out of it. I should have listened to the other reviewers but since I am a 36-38, I thought it would work. I am returning it for a refund. To Bad, it seemed like a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!! Some relief for my lower back, May 31, 2011
I bought this back brace because I've had debilitating lower back pain due to a compressed/dehydrated disc. I've gone to the chiropractor, and orthopedist and they basically couldn't do anything for me (I've yet to try acupuncture but I'm a bit skeptical). I've spent a lot of time at the gym over the past two years working out, stretching my lower back, and swimming. These do provide some relief but at the end of the day I still have chronic pain in my lower back which never completely goes away. My disc became injured because of years of extreme skating when I was a teenager and because I've been sitting in a chair working on a computer pretty much everyday since I finished college four years ago. Probably doesn't help that I still go skating almost once a week. Anyways, I just got the back brace today and when I put it on I felt instant relief that I haven't had in almost 18 months. I would highly recommend this product because I did more for me than any of the other previous treatments I tried. Normally I wouldn't care to write a review for something I bought but I just have to praise this product because it has greatly improved the quality of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Back Brace's Pro's & Con's, January 15, 2011
Nancy Holloway (San Francisco Bay area) - See all my reviews
I'm an RN. Before choosing this brace, I evaluated all the back braces on Amazon, and I think this is the best of the bunch.
Pro's: (1) excellent support - the steel prevents you from bending over and provides a reassuring sense of support. I did not find the lumbar insert useful, though. (2) comfort - I've worn it daily for more than a month now and often wear it up to 8 hours at a stretch. When my back has been really unstable, I've slept in it. (3) user friendliness - side compression strap cleverly is color-coded so you know where to attach it to the main strap; (4) very reasonable price for this quality.
Con's: (1) misleading advertising about waist size - Stating this brace can be used with a 70" waist cannot possibly be true. At 43 inches (my measurement), the velcro on the main support just barely overlaps properly. However, adding the side support straps makes the brace too tight to wear comfortably. I think this brace could not possibly fit a person with a larger waist. If you want to use additional side straps for support, your waist must be several inches less than 43".
(2) pilling. The surface of the brace pills a lot; a fabric shaver takes care of that problem. (3) the grabbiness and strength of the Velcro. While those are plusses
for support, they make putting the brace on a hassle. I needed to pull the side straps off the main strap and reposition their ends further back in order to stretch the elastic enough to put the brace on. Also, watch out for the Velcro grabbing on fabrics. Overall, I'm really glad I chose this brace.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, September 29, 2009
freiwill01 (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
Brace is strong yet flexible. Works well for me (waist size 30-31). the most comfortable to wear it is over a t-shirt. also have a similar product offered by Futuro which I also like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, April 12, 2010
Have only had the product for two days, but both my wife and I find it very comfortable and that it provides some relief for back pain. We have different issues with our backs, mine being muscular, hers being spinal, with compressed vertebrae. Yet we both find that this brace helps to relieve those constant, nagging pains that arise from doing house work.

I will also add that I have a 40" waist and found that the brace easily fits me. I estimate that it has about 7" of extra space, when fitted properly. I was a little worried about this, given the other posted reviews. If fully stretched, perhaps it could even reach the manufacturer's stated maximum size of 50", but I don't know if it would still be comfortable. I certainly don't see any issues of using it with a waist size of up to 45" to 46".