5.0 out of 5 stars First and Foremost a Powerful Spiritual Novel
Published on September 24, 2010 by L. Erickson

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
The story is very slow and never really captures you. I found the descriptions of places and characters lack as well.
Published on July 25, 2012 by Jose O. Nunez

5.0 out of 5 stars First and Foremost a Powerful Spiritual Novel, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet (Hardcover)
I think it's inevitable that many of the reviews of this book will focus on opinions of Islam, and/or an analysis of how orthodox or unorthodox Chopra's portrayal of Muhammad is. And as an ongoing discussion, that is certainly valid and interesting. I give Chopra credit for taking on the tale of Muhammad, as he will certainly open himself up to controversy by doing so (and hopefully the controversies will ultimately lead to constructive discussions and new understanding.)

However, I'm going to focus my review of this book on how it is as a spiritual novel, because I think it is first and foremost that. I think it is best read along with Chopra's Buddha and Jesus, which are my two favorite of his books. In these three fictional (but well-researched) accounts of the world's most well-known religious leaders, Chopra presents three very different spiritual journeys, but highlights common themes. Each feels himself as different from a young age. Each is a profound and devout seeker, and yet at some point is shocked and frightened by where his seeking leads him. Each grapples with his spiritual calling in a personal way, and then feels compelled - although for different reasons - to share what he has come to understand. And Chopra does a good job of placing each of them within the context of their respective historical times, thereby showing us how and why each of their teachings evolved into the religions that they did.

However, Chopra also recognizes the very key differences between these three individuals, or at least how they have come down to us through history. As he says "Muhammad didn't see himself like Jesus, called the son of God, or like Buddha, a prince who achieved sublime, cosmic enlightenment." Muhammad saw himself as an ordinary man, called upon by Allah through the angel Gabriel to 'recite' the teachings that became the Koran (or Qur'an.) He was, according to Islam "the last prophet." And this book does a good job of showing the relationship of Muhammad's teachings to the Jewish and Christian teachings of the time.

Chopra chooses to tell the story of Muhamad's life in a unique form - each chapter is told from the perspective of a different individual in his life, 19 in all. They range from his nurse-maid to family members, from slaves in Mecca to early converts, from his children to his worst enemy. This makes the novel read almost like 19 separate short-stories, which can feel disjointed at times, but the episodes they tell from Muhammad's life are sequential, so this provides a through-thread. In his introduction, Chopra states that he chose to do this in order to "lessen the impact of our modern-day judgments". As he puts it, "The first people to hear the Koran had as many reactions to it as you or I would if our best friend collared us with a tale about a midnight visit from an archangel."

For those looking for a more academic introduction to Muhammad and the teachings of Islam, Chopra does provide a basic life chronology, and an Afterword covering the 5 pillars and 6 core beliefs of Islam, along with other teachings. He also provides some more details on Muhammad's life, and how Islam evolved after his death.

Overall, I think this is an important book, if for no other reason than it will introduce many people for the first time to Muhammad and Islam. Of course, no one should read this and consider themselves fully informed about Islam. This book is one author's fictional take on Muhammad - although it is an author who has spent decades immersed in spiritual and religious studies. And as I said above, I actually think it has the most value when read as an account of one man's spiritual journey. Seekers will recognize the humanity of Chopra's Muhammad, his own spiritual longings and fears, and the complexities of his own reactions and those of people around him. To me, this seems to be Chopra's main goal in writing all three of these novels - Muhammad, Jesus, and Buddha - and I recommend all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, November 13, 2010
RS (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book every much. Im a muslim so I already know the stories but wanted to read from a mainstream writer after watching him on CNN. The book served its purpose, Chopra wrote "I didnt write this book to make Muhammed more holy. I wrote it to show that holiness was just as confusing, terrifying, and exalting in the 7th century as it would be today" (location 120 in the book). Chopra accomplished this in the book, he showed all the confusing calamities and crazy wars that happened in the time of Muhammed peace be upon him, yet He had to take difficult actions for survival and not going against what he preached and believed in. He truly believed that God has reached out to him, even though it sounded crazy to him for the longest time. People believed him more than he believed himself. In the book preached things like "Do you want to show how much you love your Creator", the villager replied "with all my heart", Muhammed responded "then love your fellow behings first" (location 2305). There were skeptics in Muhammed's days, where they thought he was crazy, But after being around Muhammed, Muhammed told one non believer friend "I would lose any battle to win a heart of a great soul". These are teachings of islam, compassion and believing in god, yet Islam gets a bad reputation in present day today. I highly recommend this book because its an easy read. Chapter 18 Yasmin the Women at the Well made me cry so much, i was boohoo-ing as I was reading, it was very touching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel about Islam's founder proves surprisingly accessible and entertaining, October 24, 2011
4.5 stars: I had braced myself to slog through Deepak Chopra's biographical novel "Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet." Instead, I was delightfully surprised by the compelling story of Muhammad's journey from affluent trader to reluctant prophet, and the engagingly lyrical music of the suras (verses) he channeled from Allah.

Story: Although ostensibly a novel, Chopra bookends his story about the Muslim prophet with an author's note and an afterword, offering the reader a history lesson while reflecting on the current relationship between Islam and the rest of the world. The novel emphasizes that of all the founders of the great world religions, Muhammad is the most like us. Muhammad, a merchant who marries a rich widow and routinely travels in caravans as part of his trade, lives a regular life until the day the archangel Gabriel appears and orders the reluctant 40-year-old Muhammad to recite. (To recite, Chopra reminds, is the root word of Koran.) Using multiple first-person narrators--slaves and merchants, hermits, and scribes--he portrays life (including its brutality) on the streets of Mecca. Each chapter is self-contained. Muhammad's wife, Khadijah, laments there have been no warnings that this tumultuous, life-changing event is about to occur; Ali, the first convert, explains how the Prophet approached him. Compellingly told, this is not only good storytelling; it also helps readers, especially non-Muslims, better understand the complexities and contradictions surrounding Islam. (From Booklist)

Spiritual/metaphysical content: Medium. The book focused more on the man than his teachings, which I found to be less than satisfying. I had hoped to gain more insight into the teachings of Islam, although Chopra does describe the five pillars and six core beliefs of Islam, along with some of his other teachings. However, other aspects of the work delighted me. I expected to learn much about Islam, but what I didn't expect was the love of poetry that suffused Arab hearts and the attendant lyricism of Muhammad's suras. I enjoyed the poetry of each sura as much as the message.

Do you not see how he has lengthened the shadows?
the One is He who made the night a garment for you.
He gave you sleep so that you may rest
And the morning sky to be a resurrection.

And

Lo, I swear by the afterglow of sunset,
And by the night and all it enshrouds.
And by the moon when she is at the full,
You will journey to higher and higher worlds.

Another unexpected delight was the wealth of Arabic sayings that were both pithy and poetic: "Fate ... was like a wasp covered in honey. You cannot taste the sweetness without a sting."

My take: In addition to being a simple and easy introduction to the life and teachings of Muhammad and Islam, "Muhammad" proves to be entertaining, historically accurate, and relevant to our times. Chopra's stilted writing style made several of his non-historical novels less than enjoyable to me in the past. However, his short and direct prose works well in the context of this fictionalized biography. By writing each chapter from a different character's perspective, including Muhammad's enemies, Chopra offers fascinating perspective and varies what might otherwise be a monotonal story. The actual events of the Prophet's life provide a thrilling framework fraught with conflict that propels the story forward.

I learned a great deal about Muhammad's life and the rise of Islam. Although much blood was spilled in the evolution of Islam, violence was integral to Arabic life at that time. Muhammad struggled to project his message of peace, acceptance, and submission above the sometimes horrific reality of Arabic life in the 7th century. Chopra's author's note, afterward, timeline, and family tree helped clarify the complex history of the times and placed his life in a clearly defined context.

One of the most fascinating aspects of the story was the realization that Muhammad was a man like any other, not a son of God (such as Jesus) nor a transcendent human (such as Buddha). The angel Gabriel chose him as a medium to deliver Allah's message, and the reader clearly sees how Muhammad was forced into the role of reluctant prophet but also military commander, master politician, and sometimes brutal judge in order to ensure the survival of Allah's message. As Chopra notes, "I didn't write this book to make Muhammad more holy. I wrote it to show that holiness was just as confusing, terrifying, and exalting in the 7th century as it would be today."

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, June 1, 2011
lawliss (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet (Hardcover)
I was browsing through the stacks at the library and saw this and was immediately intrigued. Deepak Chopra attempts to tell the life of the prophet of Islam through the eyes of the people that are often closest to him - his wife, his daughters, his followers. And it was amazing, to say the least. I had never read anything by Deepak Chopra before, so I was a little nervous, but it was totally worth it.

This book is one of a trilogy of sorts - Chopra also wrote fictional accounts of Buddha's life and Jesus' life (aptly - Buddha and Jesus) and I intend to read at least the one on Jesus but will probably end up reading the one on Buddha as well. This is a really well researched novel that discusses Muhammad's teachings and how they relate to Christainity and Judaism, both older religions relative to Islam. I was also really impressed by how Deepak Chopra chose to tell the tale - he told each part of the Prophet's life through the viewpoint of an important person in his family. It included everyone from his nursemaid, to his wife and children, to a slave and even his worst enemy. It was a very effective way of conveying the Prophet's life and his belief system and i was absolutely enthralled.

This book was also really good because it provides a very simple explanation of the basic tenets of the Islamic faith. People that have read the Koran or have a much better education in the Muslim faith would probably not get a whole lot of out of this but for everyone else, it would be a pretty good introduction. It has inspired me to learn more about the Muslim faith!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Deepak Chopra!, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet (Hardcover)
I had barely any prior knowledge about the Prophet Muhammad, the Arab culture and/or "Islam." I find this book engaging and an interesting read. We mainly learn about the Prophet through the perspective of those who knew him, it's pretty cool. I thank Deepak Chopra for this book, and for allowing me a trip to the part of the world I will most likely never see or touch. I look forward to reading Deepak Chopra's novels about Jesus and Buddha.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, July 25, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars find out about the prophet, December 26, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia- In this age of the jihad and religious conflict, it is a good idea to step back and learn about the fundamentals of the major religions.
In Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet by Deepak Chopra, the author delves into the misunderstood life of this prophet among men Muhammad.
Chopra uses a novel approach to share the stories behind what made Muhammad a powerful religious figure. Muhammad was a trader and God reached down and spoke to him on sharing his word. An ordinary man, who was illiterate, this book brings to life this ancient tale of the man who changed the world.
Chopra calm and detailed voice makes this text a valuable took in understanding a bit more about Muhammad.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and easy to read, August 10, 2011
ive been reading the koran and after reading this book i really understood what they were talking about when they mentioned the war of Badr, etc. i liked how it gave us insight into muhammed's life from different points of view! i would highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Present, February 5, 2011
This review is from: Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet (Hardcover)
My mom asked for a book that would help her ease into studying Islam. I read the reviews for this book, read it myself, and crosschecked much of the information. This book was great! It is a Historically accurate novel that was a really good read. A good first place to go if you wish to start learning more about Islam and it's history. My Mom has now asked for actual history books and other study materials because she enjoyed learning from this book so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muhammad, January 2, 2011
This review is from: Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet (Hardcover)
This was a very enjoyable read and I learned a great deal about the founding of and early days of Islam. The style proved to be very appealing with the story being told from multiple perspectives. I normally dislike this type of story telling but Chopra pulled it off with master skill.

Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet
Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet by Deepak Chopra (Hardcover - September 21, 2010)
$25.99 $19.19