Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Flavor: Diced, No Salt|Size: 14.5 Ounce|Change
Price:$13.78 - $1,352.70

on August 19, 2009
UPDATE - I heard that Muir Glen had started transitioning their canned tomato products to BPA free cans but when contacting Muir Glen (General Mills), I kept getting a canned (no pun intended) response that they believe BPA is safe...blah blah blah. But today, I finally got the answers I was looking for including how to tell which cans at the grocery store are BPA free. Muir Glen started transitioning to BPA free cans (for their tomato products only) in September 2010. Their shelf life is 2 1/2 years; therefore, an expiration date after March 2013 should be a BPA free can liner. You can confirm it is BPA free when you open the can because the old BPA liner was white, but the new BPA free liner is a copper color. I did ask General Mills to please label their products BPA free to help us consumers when shopping. I hope that eventually all canned goods will be BPA free. Let me know what you find when shopping.

I am so excited to have a BPA free Organic tomato product, yay! Thanks Muir Glen!

Old Review -

I love Muir Glen tomato products but sadly I had to give them up due to their can liners containing bisphenol A (BPA). I will not feed anymore BPA to my kids! I don't know why anyone is surprised that BPA acts like a synthetic estrogen therefore an endocrine disrupter--BPA was ORIGINALLY developed in the 1930s as a synthetic estrogen drug for women. Shortly after it was developed, a new synthetic estrogen drug came out (DES--remember how many women died of cancer because of DES?) so BPA fell by the wayside until someone figured out it could be used in plastics and can liners to help make them harder.

I wrote to Muir Glen to see if they had any plans to try and remove BPA from their cans but they did not respond to me. Some companies are concerned and working to remove BPA (Eden Organics) while others are defending BPA--they are the ones that really upset me (Del Monte and Coca Cola are some of the worst--I won't buy ANY of their products anymore). Eden Organics has removed BPA from their canned bean products and is working to remove it from their canned tomato products. Vital Choices is the only company I know of that has gone 100% BPA free but they sell mostly canned fish and a few other products but no canned tomatoes.

I have switched to fresh food or jarred foods--no more cans for our family unless they are BPA free. The lids of most jars have a little BPA but so much less BPA is leeched out compared to a whole can lining, still I would prefer NO BPA. It just makes me sick that I fed my children with baby bottles that contained BPA. I gave my children synthetic estrogen! We already have prostate cancer in our family, and now I have increased my son's chance of prostate cancer even more by using BPA estrogen laden baby bottles--ugh!!!!!

Contact Muir Glen and tell them you want BPA free cans! We as shoppers, have a lot of power if we decide to use it. In fact, contact all the companies that you buy canned goods from and let them know you don't want to feed your family BPA anymore.

Let me know if you find any tomato products (diced, crushed, paste, ...) that are BPA free by responding to this comment--I will get an email. I desperately want to make my chicken cacciatore again!

I just read some more about BPA, Minnesota has banned BPA and several states are also trying to pass legislation to do the same. So write to your legislators about banning BPA! I also read the following from Fran Pavley the sponsor of California's BPA ban:

"Well over 100 independent academic and government peer-reviewed studies have linked BPA to a host of problems, including brain and developmental damage, breast and prostrate cancer, early puberty, obesity, infertility, miscarriage and hyperactivity. Young children and babies are particularly vulnerable because their body systems are still developing.

Still, the chemical industry remains in denial. It has employed more than a dozen lobbyists to kill my bill. Lobbyists for popular formula brands are roaming the halls of the Capitol, telling my colleagues that alternative products aren¡¦t available, and a ban on BPA could cause a formula shortage. Yet at the same time, these companies are marketing a variety of formula and food containers to parents as "BPA free"."

Scary!!!
1919 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2011
Just wanted to follow up on the last post. Muir Glen recently announced that they no longer use BPA in their can lining, starting with the fall 2010 harvest! Cans without BPA are being shipped now, so cans you find in stores now may or may not contain it. I am so happy to see a brand that I can actually find in my grocery store commit to not using BPA. Plus, I really like their canned tomatoes and think the quality is better than Hunt's. Their crushed tomatoes with basil actually contain whole basil leaves, not just basil "flavor."
on August 4, 2008
The Muir Glen line of fire roasted tomatoes are the highest quality domestic canned tomatoes you will find. The flesh is deep red and flavorful and the Smokey notes from the fire roasting are incredible! I use the diced tomatoes for everything, but the homemade salsa we make with them is to die for, actually better than what we make with our own home grown tomatoes. Very highly recommended.

Homemade Roasted Salsa

3-cans Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes, Fire Roasted
2-cups Roland diced roasted red peppers (drained)
Roland Roasted Red Peppers, Diced, 27.5-Ounce Can (Pack of 5)
1-large sweet onion diced
5-cloves chopped garlic
1-teaspoon cumin
1-teaspoon chili powder
2-tablespoons Empacadora San Marcos Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Empacadora San Marcos Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, 11-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)

Use a stick (or other) blender to puree the Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (these things have wonderful flavor, but are very hot. They are what will be providing the heat in your salsa so adjust according to your taste). Mix everything together in a sealed container and set in the fridge overnight so the flavors can marry. Serve with Good Health Solea Polenta Corn Chips Guacamole, 5-Ounce Bag (Pack of 12) For some added flavor and Kick! use the Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes, Fire Roasted with Medium Green Chilies, 14.5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12).
on June 10, 2011
I contacted Muir Glen directly and asked whether or not their cans contained BPA. You can see their response below:

"Thank you for contacting Muir Glen about bisphenol-A or BPA.

Bisphenol-A is a component of protective coatings in metal food packaging, and provides an important food safety and quality function in canned foods. Scientific and governmental bodies worldwide have examined the science many times and have concluded that the weight of evidence supports the safety of BPA, including recent comprehensive assessments in Japan and in the European Union.

In January 2010, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced another review of BPA. This review in expected to take 18-24 months, and Health Canada and the World Health Organization (WHO) will participate.

Most metal cans in the food industry utilize BPA in the can lining or can lid. Some of our products do, and many competitors' products do as well.

Muir Glen continues to believe BPA is safe. However, we know that some of our consumers have wanted us to pursue alternatives. We have been working with our can suppliers and can manufacturers to develop and test alternative linings that do not use BPA for some time.

One alternative has proven safe and viable in our processing of tomatoes - and Muir Glen is in the midst of transitioning to cans with liners that do not use BPA. It is an approved non-epoxy alternative. Can coatings used by Muir Glen also comply fully with all applicable U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements for safe use in food contact applications.

Your views are important to us. Again, thank you for contacting Muir Glen, and thank you for your support of our products.

Sincerely,

Consumer Services"
on June 14, 2012
I was very excited when I read reviews about the product. I read about the product with an expiration code of March 2013 will be BPA free.I waited for a while to order this product for that reason.

All cans I received were "Expired January 2013", and yes, it is BPA liner in.

Maybe the Amazon warehouse had a lot of stock of the products, but I could not believe the canned food I received has expire date within 6 months.
on September 16, 2011
We mainly use this in conjuction with the 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatos to make the America's test kitchen Spaghetti Sauce. It was a top pick in the cookbook which is why I started buying it and I agree. Also makes decent salsa in the winter if you really let the tomatos drain. (Another test kitchen tip). They are canned within hours of being picked and the cannery is next to the fields so are super ripe when picked. It shows in the flavor. I just read on the Muir Glenn site they are moving to BPA free liners beginning the harvest of 2011? There is no date on the News Article so maybe it was 2010. I hope Amazon updates the title so we know if they are BPA free.
on March 6, 2015
I used to trust Muir Glen. Then, I discovered that this company supported financially to the non-labeling of GMO foods campaign in California. They sell organic products. What are they afraid of? What are they hiding? Why wouldn't they support labeling of GMO foods and products?

I want to only financially support companies that are conscious and conscientious, who believe and promote 100% transparency and 100% organic and sustainable farming. Check out investigations here: [...] and [...]
[...]
[...]
review image
on December 6, 2009
Initially, I purchased Muir Glen diced tomatoes after reading taste tests results on the Cook's Illustrated site. However, I currently only order the Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes which are delicious. I use them in every recipe that calls for diced tomatoes. The flavor is rich and full of flavor.
on June 13, 2011

"Thank you for contacting Muir Glen about bisphenol-A or BPA.

Sincerely,

Consumer Services"
on October 30, 2007
I first learned of this excellent product from food writer Deborah Madison. When I have been lazy, and failed to put up my own tomatoes, I order these by the case. They make excellent sauces and soups, and have a distinctive, but never overwhelming flavor.