5.0 out of 5 stars I hope Muldoon reads this book
Published on November 19, 2003 by Mike (aka Micheluche)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not great
I found this rather boring. It's not all that bad, just wasn't really interesting.
Published on September 5, 2007 by Addicted Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope Muldoon reads this book, November 19, 2003
This review is from: Muldoon, a True Chicago Ghost Story: Tales of a Forgotten Rectory (Paperback)
I loved the book!! Not only does it delve into the history of Chicago and why the city is what it is today, but it also includes a TRUE, chilling ghost story. I enjoyed learning about Chicago's past.....the politics, cultures, scandals and religious influences. And I enjoyed the intertwining ghost stories.....many a night I heard strange noises in my own house after reading the book earlier that night. Coincidence?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, December 18, 2003
"edbdedbd" (Crystal, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of those books that doesn't come along very often. I could not put this book down once I started reading. Mr. Facchini is a rare kind of storyteller. Apart from the ghost which is the centerpiece of this book, I got the distinct impression that there are some invisible hands at work in this mans life. Muldoon is packed full of information of the forming of one of Americas largest cities, and the role of the Catholic church in the building of America. It was a great book cover to cover and I would recommend it to anyone who reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, February 4, 2007
This book is a compelling look at the intersection of the everyday and the supernatural, the temporal and the eternal, and the secular and the spiritual. It is also a look at the rivalry between the immigrant and the native-born, a fierce dispute that rocked the Irish-dominated Catholic Church in Chicago at the end of the 19th century. It is a story that almost wasn't written, and, as becomes apparent from the bizarre epilogue written by the author's editor, almost wasn't published either. As other reviewers have remarked, this is an eminently readable glimpse into one of the strangest stories I've (never) read. Even (perhaps especially) lifelong Chicagoans will be surprised to read about a forgotten man, Peter J. Muldoon, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Chicago; his beloved church, St. Charles Borromeo, at Roosevelt Rd. and Hoyne Ave.; and his restless ghost that, after Muldoon's death in 1927, protested the parish's neglect and decline and, finally, its obliteration. The author, a former priest who served as an assistant at St. Charles in the late 1950s, has obviously mulled over these events for many years. With the help of family members and friends, he has written a wonderful book and saved from oblivion a story full of meaning and power. It is a story about the Catholic mission in the world, about fidelity to that mission, and the consequences of losing sight of it. It is a terrific book, clearly written and organized, and full of the author's very engaging personality. I enjoyed every page, even the appendices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Muldoon, an excellent read, November 18, 2003
Michael L McCormick (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Strangely, when I began to wrtie this review, there was some heavy footsteps upstairs, and sounds of some doors opening and closing, although I know no one else was home. Also, my computer was ice cold, until I turned it on...if you read this book you'll know what I'm talking about. The best thing about reading this book was that it reminded me of some "unexplained occurances" in my own life. I'm sure it will as well for you. "Muldoon" is well written, and includes some very intereting Chicago history, as well as some behind the scences politics within the Chicago Catholic Church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muldoon: A Great Read, December 10, 2003
Mike Gillespie (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Rocco Facchini's MULDOON gives an interesting and concise history of the Catholic Church in Chicago, while accounting his eerie experiences with the ghost of Muldoon. It is an exciting tale that never failed to keep my attention. A must-read for lovers of ghost stories and local history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, November 18, 2003
Todd (Mount Prospect, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Comprehensive research and facts made the book that much more chilling and exciting. Book is written in such a way that you have to finish it in one or two sittings...you can't put it down once you start. This book made a great halloween read! Also had some good behind the scenes insight into the politics of the catholic church in Chicago. Every Chicagoan and Rogers Park-an should read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars TRY IT!, June 30, 2006
This reviewer learned about "Muldoon" by virtual accident when M was favorably commented on by "Tundra Vision", an "amazon friend". Armed with a Xmas gift certificate from my wife, I bought a bunch of books including M. A wise choice! A Chicago tale, M is set in the West Side parish of Saint Charles Borromeo. The story is written in the first person by Father Rocco Facchini. Ordained in 1956, the good padre quickly has problems with his first pastor Monsignor Kane-an unpleasant, domineering, undynamic, uninspiring man of the Roman collar. Any former altar boy has had at least one Msgr. Kane in his life. "Muldoon" is the former pastor of Saint Charles but the polar opposite of Kane. Here is a dynamic and vigorous good guy. The Church recognizes his talents and promotes him to Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago and ultimately to founding Bishop of Rockford, IL. On his death in 1927, the good Bishop is buried in Rockford and not (!) as he has hoped, back at Saint Charles-where his own crypt awaited him! The poor friendly ghost had no home, floating between the two cities. The story is an interesting blend of Muldoon, his ghost, the unctuous Msgr. Kane, Catholic Church politics/infighting, and Facchini's life as a priest all set against the backdrop of a teeming city. It's funny or funny/sad but never boring. The reader should only feel gloomy if (s)he chooses to dwell on the dark side of the Catholic Church and the hurt effected by men like Kane. M is highly recommended to natives of Chicagoland especially those of a "certain age", anyone curious about the behind the scenes Catholic Church and fans of spirits and ghosts. Four appendices are a nice topping. M is good, fast light reading. Amazoners with a sense of humor-or one of adventure- should enjoy. A closing thought: Those without an Amazon friend should choose one or two. And then click on their reviews every so often. A pleasant surprise may await. Thanks, Tundra!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find., July 24, 2008
Tamara A. Shaffer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
In 1956, my family moved me to Chicago's Southwest Side and enrolled me in St. Mary's High School at Damen and Grenshaw. Walking from the Western Avenue bus to the school each morning, I quickened my pace, as I passed a spooky-looking church I knew as St. Charles-Something-or-Other. Imagine my surprise upon finding, over fifty years later, a ghost story centering around none other than St. Charles Borromeo Church. I regret that it fell prey, like so many buildings of beauty and historical relevance, to the dreaded wrecking ball. As for the book, I am reading it now and enjoying its great history lessons. Rocco is a brilliant writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunted and Haunting, February 22, 2005
TundraVision (o/~ from the Land of Sky Blue Waters o/~) - See all my reviews
The extended title of this small press trade paperback indicates the powerful panoply of punches packed within its small pages: it's a story of Muldoon and his ghost, it's a true story, it's a story of the early to mid-20th century Catholic Church in Chicago, a tale of a forgotten rectory, a tale of a young parish priest in the 1950's and 60's, and also an anecdotal example of the current crisis in the Roman Catholic Clergy (Why can't God - and the Old White Men of Rome - get more Good Help these days?)

Told by former Father Rocco A. Facchini, and photographed and illustrated by his son, with cameo mention of famous fiction Chicago storyteller Father Andrew Greeley, this is a fascinating book on many levels (it even encompasses a history of how some funeral customs came to be customary.)

The book documents Catholic Clerical in-fighting and, arguably without intention, the divisions between the various immigrant ethnic groups of Chicago Catholics, for instance: "the Irish had a great advantage over most other newcomers because they spoke English.." Shame on ya, former Father Facchini! The native tongue of the Irish is Irish! For the Irish who did speak it, English was a 2nd language, too, imposed by the foreign forces of the occupying British! /TundraVision, Amazon Reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Story of the First Caliber, June 17, 2008
I consider myself a connoiseur of ghost stories, true and fictional, but the supposedly true ones are my favorite, I have an extensive library to prove it. This book will be part of that library because the truth of authenticity is apparent in every page you read. The story grabs you from the beginning, and proves that even 100 years ago they dealt with similar problems that we do now. But underlying the political manuevering of the Catholic church in that area, is the story of Bishop Muldoon and his rise through the ranks, and the ever burning question... why was he haunting St. Charles Borromeo? You might try to find the answers in the documented facts of his career in the church, but we can't truly know a person from what's written in history books, or jubilee commeratives. It's a shame they tore down the church and adjoining buildings, because I would have loved to go back to Chicago just to visit it. If ghost stories are your thing, then set aside a weekend for back to back reading until you complete the last page.

Muldoon, a True Chicago Ghost Story: Tales of a Forgotten Rectory
Muldoon, a True Chicago Ghost Story: Tales of a Forgotten Rectory by Rocco A. Facchini (Paperback - September 1, 2003)
$15.00 $12.08