Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PS2 Multi-Player Adapter (Aftermarket Multitap for Playstation 2)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 19, 2012
I bought this item because the description says "by Sony" and "Compatible with Playstation 2". Yes, the description also says "(Aftermarket Multitap for Playstation 2)", but since it said "by Sony" I thought "aftermarket" just meant that it was not included in the original console package. Live and learn.

The unit doesn't work for me; I tried it with Marvel Ultimate Alliance for PS2. With the multitap plugged into the PS2 Controller 1 slot, and 4 controllers plugged into the multitap, only player 1 was recognized by the game. With a controller in controller slot 1 and the multitap in slot 2, and 3 controllers plugged into the multitap, only players 1 and 2 were recognized by the game.

The box says:

Compatible
SPCH 30000
and SPCH 50000
and SPCH 70000
and SPCH 90000
console

I have console model SPCH 39001, so no wonder it does not work. This compatibility information should definitely be included in the item description on the Amazon web site. In my opinion, it also should NOT say "by Sony" because it is not a Sony product.

I will say that the unit seems well constructed - it would be great if it worked! Very disappointing.
on October 1, 2009
A dated piece of hardware since the inception of actually putting four controller ports in a console during the days of the N64, the Sony Multitap is still a well built piece of hardware. Even though now a days, most consoles utilize wireless connectivity with their controllers, have multiple controller ports or USB ports built-in or online gameplay, for those of us who still have our PS2s, varying assortments of 4-8 player games, and real live friends who will actually meet with you in person, this multitap can't be beat. It's compact in size, especially in comparison with some of the older PS1 multitaps I've seen, as they format the controllers to go in on both sides of the multitap brick, rather than have them across on single panel.

The best part about this multitap, and unintended by Sony, I'm sure, is its ability to store memory cards. This is great for people who have more than 1 memory card or an assortment of old PS1 memory cards, as they lock in nicely and can be carted around without worry of losing them or damaging them. Even when I'm not actively using it, I've had my multitap carry my Memory cards when I travel and never once had any issues with them getting damaged.

This multitap really has no negatives besides the usual multitap-related problems, namely lots of messy wires (which is unavoidable with that many wire controllers) and the obvious fact that there aren't too many 4-8 player games out there for the PS2. Plus, with how our current generation of systems work (online, online, and more online) it's becoming less and less relevant to have hardware like this around. However, if you still use your PS2 as much as I do, having a place to put your memory cards while you wait for that opportunity to dust off your extra Dual Shock 2 controllers to play some Timesplitters 2 with a group of friends is always a bonus.
on January 28, 2014
It's adorable and looks just like tiny version of a PS2.
It took a little while to get it figured out, learned that it has to be plugged into the player 2 slot
Works wonderfully for Tales of the Abyss
on July 27, 2013
I loved the idea of playing multilplayer with my friends and so that is why i bought this multitap. When I first put it in my ps2 i was happy and my friends were as excited as i am, but when we started to use it we noticed that it didn't work. We plugged it in and out multiple times to get it to work but it didn't work. I was wondering if i can get my money back from this product and if i can i will return it in good condition.
on July 24, 2012
I didn't immediately use this item after purchase because I didn't have more than two players at the time but when I did use it, it wouldn't read more than slot A and B in slot one on the PS2 and in slot B it only read slot A and I tried over and over to try different things to try to get it to work but it's useless for the purpose I bought it for. It has a made in China sticker on the back and feels very light and cheap. I'm not sure if I got a defective one or if this is what to expect from this item. I would have contacted seller but I think I waited too long to make a claim and I just have to deal with it.
on September 16, 2015
Bought this a long while ago to play with Downhill Domination (Bike Racing game), which is supposed to be compatible with more than 2 players with this multitap. Well a week or so ago I finally had a group of people over who wanted to play the game with me, so I broke this baby out of its box and plugged it in only to find that it only recognized one controller plugged into it at a time. With 4 controllers plugged into it, only A was recognized (as player 1). Unplugging the A controller shifted player 1 to B slot, unplugging B controller shifted player 1 to C slot, and so on. So all the slots worked individually, just not at once which is the whole point of the multitap. We ended up having to play "tournement-style" two at a time, so it was very disappointing. Obviously tested this item out way too late to have anyone do anything about it, but just wanted to let others know they may get a dud like I did.
on July 3, 2013
Between the kids there is still are 5 PS 2 in the family and this is a must. There still are games available that will play 4 players at a time and this adapter is a must. My kids love metal of Honor European assault.
on October 9, 2013
This product does not work as advertised, when I received my multitap only the first port worked and ports 2-4 don't work meaning.. I just wasted 10 bucks on a paper weight. And yes, I checked to make sure it isn't a controller problem by switching out the working one and then plugging it into the other ports to see if I could get the multitap to work but no such luck.
on October 16, 2010
Multitap is compatible with PS2 Model SCPH90001 (the slim model with the built in power supply). The memory card part of the connector slides so it will work with all PS2s.

The box and multitap itself have the worst Engrish I have EVER seen! It refers to a PS2 as a "PXII" "PII" "two" and "PIIi." An original Playstaion is referred to as a "PX." Operating temperature is shown to be between between 5C and -35C. Does not list any copyrights for Sony.

I have not tried it with any games yet (no friends over to play multiplayer with).

Construction feels pretty decent.
on February 18, 2013
This adapter works well. There are only a few 4-player games for the PS2 that you can use it for, but they're all pretty good titles. My only problem with the PS2 multi-adapter is that it only works with the original PS2 model, it doesn't fit in the PS2 slim. You can get around it with some minor tweaking, by unscrewing the case that protects the wires and moving the controller jack forward, but it's a pain and you may damage the delicate wires. If you've still got the original PS2 model, or you've got the slim and don't mind doing some tweaking, this is worth it to play Gauntlet, the X-Men Legends games, and DOA2: hardcore.