5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it for $139
So I was in the market for a budget tablet (could not spend $500 on an iPad). I tried the 7" Kindle Fire (not HD) and a 7" Lenovo Ideatab (which I really liked and found for $149). But I really wanted a bigger tablet.

After seeing this get quite a few good reviews for the price, I decided to give it a try.

What I was looking for: a larger...
Published on December 10, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Talet With a Few Annoyances (RETURNED)
Published 24 months ago by Devon Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it for $139, December 10, 2012
This review is from: 9'' Dual Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat 8GB Multimedia Tablet PC, Dual Camera, Google Play Pre-load, 3D Game Supported [enhanced version of Dragon Touch 9" A13 MID948B] (Electronics)

What I was looking for: a larger tablet that I could Skype with, watch Netflix and Amazon Instant Video on, and generally surf the web and check email.

Well, I can Skype with this. It has a front facing camera. Not the best quality so I wouldn't ever use this as a camera, but it's good for Skyping.

I am actually able to watch Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube on this in great quality! There are times when it is blocky and fuzzy when it is trying to buffer but other than that, it is great for watching movies on and the large screen is wonderful for that.

Surfing the web, I am able to use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox in addition to the stock Android browser. But I am able to access the Google Play store and use Google Docs. I can even access the Amazon Appstore for their free apps of the days.

I do have to say, for $139, you do have to realize that there will be some performance concerns:

1. It takes a while to charge, especially if you run the battery down. It doesn't seem to charge if you are using the tablet while plugged in, but the battery has been lasting me 4-5 hours at a time.

2. The only big issue I have really had is that it is intermittently on the slow and steady side in terms of browsing and running apps, mostly when you are multi-tasking. Every now and then, I get a delay and then it states that a certain app or browser is not responding. It gives me the option to Wait or Cancel. Usually if I click on Wait, it then responds right away. It is a minor irritation, but I am pretty patient and am not at all put off by it, especially considering that I only paid $139 for a 9 inch tablet that on the whole works great!

I love it and would definitely get another one if I needed it

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Talet With a Few Annoyances (RETURNED), March 3, 2013
LAST UPDATE: 3/26/13 - The headphone jack stopped working properly today, so I have returned the item for a refund. I would suggest avoiding this item if possible. If not, then don't expect to use the headphone jack very often. It's good if you're on a budget. But, if you can get a brand name tablet, please do. A good tablet would be Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi). My rating has dropped to reflect this recent turn of events.

***

3/3/13 - I bought this tablet Friday and received it Saturday. This being my first tablet I wasvery excited about it. I still am, but some of that excitment has since been replaced with minor annoyance.

The reason I got this tablet was so I could read my Kindle books at the college I go to. I wasn't too thrilled with the lack of features of many other higher end tablets and I don't like iOS. This tablet offers me Android 4.0 which I like. I also like that I can use my 32gb microSD card to boost storage capacity for Spotify and other stuff. So far it has delivered really well and is the only budget tablet I've seen with Google Play.

The wifi works ok and I can browse the web fairly quickly. The display isn't the best but performs as expected.

What annoyed me first was the touch screen. It tends to be unresponsive much of the time and tests my patience. I found that light taps don't register, so I must tab slightly harder. Not too much harder though. Despite this, it works well enough.

The second annoyance is the performance. Keep in mind that it was cheap so I didn't hold high expectations. Under very small loads it works we'll. I can browse the web, listen to Spotify, and have facebook running all at once. Anything more and the performance decreases.

The third annoyance is the headphone jack. If I plug my headphones in all the way they won't make a proper connection. So I have to leave them out a small bit. They still fit tight enough not to fall out on their own. Not all headphones will be like this though. My gaming headset plugs in all the way with no issues.

Fourth annoyance is the webcam. Where it sits I can't get my face in the frame. This forces me to tilt it which ruins the viewing angel on this cheap display.

Fifth annoyance is Skype audio quality. It sounded to me like I was talking to a chipmunk when talking to my girlfriend on Skype. With this and annoyance four, this tablet is unsuitable for decent skype calls. But Skype does work when these issues are overlooked.

Sixth annoyance was being told everything I type was spelled wrong. I just turned the spellcheck off.

This tablet seems good for the price once these issues are taken into account. It will do what I need.

***

I wrote the above portion of this review on the tablet without too much of an issue, just so you all know.

This tablet will also do Netflix and YouTube really well too.

***

3/6/13 - Having had a few days with it, I have finally started to get more and more used to this tablet. Honestly, I kind of wish I would have been smarter and just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab. But, with the lack of money I had to put into it, I would only be getting a 7 inch tablet and maybe a 32gb MicroSD card.

One thing I like about the Dragon Touch is that it came rooted. So I could easily bind the directory that Spotify uses on the internal memory to a folder on my MicroSD card. This has worked very well so far. And don't try telling me I could root the Galaxy Tab as well. I just don't have the time or energy to mess with it if something went wrong and I accidentally ruined it. That'd put me out of a lot of money.

Here's a quick tip to those who are experiencing performance issues. Don't do very much multitasking. One or two tasks at a time, and no more than three. If you're going to be browsing the web, don't open many tabs. Yes, this is an Android tablet, but keep in mind that it was designed to be an affordable solution with as many features as possible. It isn't meant to be a powerhouse. Also, go into the settings, and under developer options, set the "Window Animation Scale" and the "Transition Animation Scale" to off. If you follow this advice, the tablet should perform better.

The touch screen has become a bit less of a pain to use. After awhile, I got used to how it worked and now I have little troubles getting it to respond the first or second times. Again, it's a cheap tablet, what more can one expect? At least it's not a resistive touch screen. I've heard those can be a pain.

I have also been able to install a couple of games and they both work very well. The first game I expected to work since the graphics are very basic. The game is called "Zombie Evil". The only issue I've had with it is the touch screen not registering once in a while. Other than that, it works perfectly.

The second game is the free version of "Fruit Ninja". This game surprised me. I was expecting it to be the same kind of graphics as "Zombie Evil". But it's actually got some basic 3D in it that reminds me of GTA 3. This tablet pulled it off without any issues whatsoever. The only thing that I've had issues with is connecting with some server to post my scores. All in all, I'm very happy with the tablets performance here.

Those are the only two games I've tried, however. I'll keep things up to date until I'm certain that this tablet was worthwhile buy.

Now, for those users who own either an Android phone or iPhone who want to have access to internet on this tablet on the go, you might like this. As a Sprint user I was able to, for an extra $20/month (this could change or be different depending on your carrier) on my phone bill, use my Android phone as a mobile hotspot. Granted, this only gives me 2GB of download per month, but I only use it for web browsing when I'm out of the house. When I'm in the house, I use the WiFi I have hooked up to the DSL. So I'm not worried about going over that cap. But it works well for me since I don't have WiFi access at the college I attend. Also makes it easier for me to stay somewhat entertained on the bus to school and back.

The battery has held up well enough for me. Not the best battery in the world, but neither is my cellphone. So, I keep my charger with me when I take the tablet out of the house. The battery does take awhile to charge though, which sucks since I'm so impatient. But, it's a small price to pay.

The charger itself hasn't broken yet, like a couple of people have reported happening to them. Knock on wood, however. Doing my best to keep it that way. The end that plugs into the tablet has a very tight fit, making it hard to remove. So just be gentle with it as you remove it. Only pull hard enough to remove it, don't tug on it or rip it out of the tablet. Best way to break any charger and/or device it plugs into.

Also, don't expect to use this outside under direct sunlight. You won't be able to see it, even on a cloudy gray day, without some cover from the light. Again, another small price to pay.

Overall, I still think this tablet was worth it for what I need it for. What you don't pay for in money, you pay for in quality. It's obvious that the manufacturer of this Chinese tablet did their best to sacrifice quality of the less important aspects in order to make an affordable tablet that will perform well enough to do the job that most people will most likely use it for and still have quality where it counts without breaking the bank.

My initial rating has not changed so far. I'll keep this up to date until I am sure this tablet won't be a let down in the long run.

***

3/17/13 - I have had this tablet for two weeks now and it's still going strong. This will probably be the last time I add to this review unless something happens to the tablet to change my mind. But, for now, I believe that this is a good tablet at the price and is worth spending money on if you're thinking about it.

If you're looking for a better web browsing experience, I recommend ditching the stock browser and installing Firefox from the Google Play store. Firefox runs smoothly, even with three tabs open at the same time. It's fairly easy to use and it seems to use the available resources efficiently. I don't usually have any issues with it slowing down the tablet or even being asked if I want to close Firefox because it's being unresponsive. It'll still happen sometimes, but far less often.

Another thing you may like to know is that this plays not only 2D games relatively well, but I've also been able to play a couple 3D shooters on it as well. The games in question are "Dead Trigger" and "Shadowgun," which are both made by the same developer "Mad Finger Games" and can be installed from the Google Play Store. The games are meant to be played with an NVIDIA Tegra 3 GPU. But the Dragon Touch doesn't sport a Tegra 3. Instead, it uses a Mali-400 GPU. Luckily, these two games are able to use the Mali-400 to pull off some good visuals with very little lag. When I found that I could play these games yesterday, I was highly impressed.

As a final note, remember not to go into this thinking that this tablet is going to be a replacement for your desktop or laptop computer. It's not. This tablet, as are most tablets in my opinion, are meant to go alongside a laptop or desktop. The only time I use my tablet is when I am on the go, want to browse the web from my bed, or want to go out into the living room or another place in the house and browse the web from there. Of course, I'll also use it if I just want to play Shadowgun for a bit.

I hope I have been helpful. If I can find a reason to not buy this tablet, I'll add it to this review. Until then, I must say that this tablet is well worth it for the price.

-- One last thing I almost forgot to add. The Amazon Instant Video client doesn't work on this device. I was unable to install it from the Google Play Store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-grade tablet for low price., January 22, 2013
Hayward (Enfield, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Mid-grade tablet for low price. It is not the greatest tablet on the market today, but for the size and the operating system, It is a fairly cheap price for what your looking for. I had purchased mine simply for the fact to download games and learning programs for my son, along with a couple of apps for myself. It was working fine for the first 8-10 days, then the touchpad would not respond to my finger. I ended up returning the unit in exchange for another one. This second one that I now have, I have had for a little over a month now with no problems. Would recommend to the person that does not have a lot of money but is looking for the tablet experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Tablet - Will Buy Another for 11 Year-old Grandson, April 4, 2013
I have to admit I was a bit afraid to buy this after all of the negative reviews but I have been buying from Amazon for many years and knew if there was a problem it would be handled to my satisfaction. So.... I bought two of them for my twin 6-1/2 year old granddaughters. These tablets were very easy to set up, to connect to WiFi and then the 6-1/2 year olds got their hands on them and had zero difficulty using them. If there are things my iPad has that these tablets don't I haven't found them yet. The battery life is enough for them to play as long as they want without running out, it recharges quickly and the selection of games from Google is very wide so no complaints there. If I were to make one minor criticism it would be that the monitor is very shiny and sometimes the glare makes it difficult to see but it's not enough of a problem to keep me from buying another one for my 11 year-old grandson! I only bought these on March 10, so I will update this review after we've had them for a while but so far so good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Short Life, June 2, 2013
I ordered this tablet Feb 29,2013 here it is June 2,2013 and with minimal use it stop working ...unit will not power up it should last longer than 3 months you would think

5.0 out of 5 stars my kids love it, December 26, 2012
arrived on time for christmas. great product
wish i got one for me too. perfect for my son
who goes to college

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, November 19, 2012
Exactly what I wanted. I ordered a 10 inch sylvania aswell and it's garbage compared to this unit. Need to sell stylus pen with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT FOR THE PRICE-my impressions of this baby ON DAY1, March 5, 2014
Okay..I've been hunting for a cheap budget under 100 usd tab for days and finally I made up my mind and bought this Dragon touch for 84 USD with Amazon Prime..It was unbelievably cheap!

What I was looking for-
8 Gb or 16 GB internal memory
10 inch screen to read better and watch Netflix
support for 32 or 64 gb ext memory
Android 4.2 or higher
Skype friendly
must be under 100 usd
New and not used!

How I plan to use this tab-

My main purpose is to read books in pub/pdf/mobi format on FB reader and Cool reader
Also most common use I intend is to read Amazon Kindle on a big screen,that's why I looked specifically for 10 inch screen..But all tabs above 9 were like 120 usd or more..So I decided to give this baby a go!Combo of 1o inches screen and 16 GB internal memory seemed ideal to me..But the cheapest tab available for this was 129 USD(unused/new)..So I purchased Dragon Touch..
I also want to read lecture notes/power points and word/excel files during my schools and while commuting(it takes me 6 hours to commute every time I go to school)also almost everybody in my class has a tab/laptop and I dont want to carry my laptop all the way..So I bought this one just to fit in!!
I am an avid news Junkie and I read a lot and I mean a lot of news articles..Reading them on a big screen(Almost double sized screen than my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone!)..is a purpose too!
Also,I use Facebook/Twitter a lot..And Thats one of my main use too..

I have Samsung s4..which is very good,I am happy with it for Fb/weather/breaking news alerts and music/radio..So I was not looking for these features in my new prospective tab..

So in short,my intended uses for this tab-
1-Reading E-books and kindle
2-News articles on a bigger screen
3-Netflix
4-Skype
5-Readin PDF/Ms word/Ms Excel/Ms powerpoint during the class/lecture and while commuting..

In fact eBooks and class power points/pdf are my most intended uses and I am happy so far with both of them!!

I saw other tabs too for 94 usd..with good features and it had 3.4 stars on Amazon but I chose this one,as that 3.4 star tab seemed likely to have many fabricated reviews by paid dummies..Please beware!!If you are looking for a tab under 100 usd..You,like me do not want to end up buying a crap product and lose those dollars in vain..I mean..I know how that works:)

Also,seller reviews for Tablet Express were 4.7 and favorable reviews were universal..So I went for this one..

About seller-
Delivery-incredibly fast..I am extremely happy with the seller-Tablet express!
Many cheap Tabs are made in China and even on Amazon Prime are shipped from China-Its a trap..Be careful here..As if You wish to return the tab,you have to spend at least 25 USD and you have to use USPS exclusively..It seems like a lot of hustle..You may buy from any seller but be careful of origin of the tab in that case..
I live in NJ and the tab shipped from Philly so that was very incredibly swift!!Also,if I wish,I can return it very easily..So this made my decision easier!!
So,I basically ordered the tab on 4 March 5 am morn and I have the tab on 5th March 11 Am!!It was incredible!So fast!Unbelievable!!
Also it was covered with Amazon prime!!I wanted to use all i can on prime as my free student 6 months prime is ending on 17 mar just 12 days after today..BOOHOO....So I want to make the most of it!
Why this mattered is,Amazon is incredibly customer friendly and if we dont get items shipped directly by Amazon,they send us replacement very quickly,almost the next day..So when buying items over like 40 usd its better to buy it with Amazon prime!!

Now,the packing-

It was a classic Amazon Prime shipment
Under the prime-box,a solid cardboard box from Tablet Express is used..It was very sturdy and made me confident that the item must have been protected as it shipped..
The Tab is thin..Not heavy..It had an extra protective screen even above the original one!!The extra one has instructions written all over it in English/Spanish..Also included in the box are Adapter,USB and user's manual...Also there are 2 colorful post cards asking for installing appkiller from Google play..

The tab came totally uncharged..The colord paper asked us to charge the batterey for 10 hours at least before first use(Like that was going to happen!!Duh!!)

So,I plugged the adopter in..I started charging it on 11-30..By 12-30 it was like 19%!!So slow comparing to my Samsung S4 which charges like 40-50% in an hour!But its okay,,This baby is bigger and like 7 times cheaper so i don't mind!

I started using the tab when it charged up to 58%..And as I used it..The battery use stabilized..Ie..It remained unchanged as it was being used and charged at the same time!

As I used it constantly after that,tab took like 8 hours to charge completely for the first time..
As I use it..It has charged 20% in 2hours..So I guess,and again this depends on how you use the tab,charging when using is like 10% an hour and idle state charging ranges from 15 to 20% an hour..Not bad!

Now the minus points-
Remember?Its just 84 USD..And I already use Samsung Galaxy S4 so I have strong opinions on some issues..I want to use this tab for very selected uses as I mentioned earlier.So these minus points are minor to me and if I pull off 6 months or 1 year with this tab,I'd be very happy!

1-Compared to s4,its sluggish!
2-It has 8GB internal memory but only 5.36 GB is available for actual use(Tab wins vs s4 in this one actually,as s4 has 16 GB internal memory but allows me to use only 9.2GB!)
3-Its touch screen is very less responsive esp after getting used to s4!
4-Its charging is slow,very much so than s4!AS s4 costs 600 USD(less these days though and the Tab is 84!)
5-Support for external memory card is limited to 32 Gb,I have 64 Gb card in my phone!!
6-Screen resolution is not HDMI..But to make it better,I kept the brightness almost at maximum and that does the trick..Not as spectacular as s4,but display is reasonably good..
7-Tab gets discharged comparatively rapidly..That sucks..As I used..Battery lasts for almost 4.5 to 5 hours..But I have many apps running in the background which eats up the battery!!
8-It lags sometimes while starting up and starting apps..But after a while it became smooth and now ts working alright...Slower than phone but not bothersome.
9-It doesn't support Tune in radio which sucks!
10-Ummm,Not much,but It supports upto 200 apps easily so far..This is 900 in s4!!I dunno how many more does the tab supports maximum,I will find out and update!
11-Its not very good for multi tasking..Though it holds up fine when I use it to read and listen to songs simultaneously!!Though I can listen to music on my phone while reading on tab too,which seems better!

Some resolved issues-
1-At first it didnt recognize my sd card!I panicked..But after formatting the card like 3 times and trying on and on,the tab gave in and now it recognizes the sd card and reads smooth...No problem now..
2-It came totally uncharged so we cannot test it right away!
3-The android version is 4.2 but higher versions of the system are available already!Though if you are not a techie/geek,you shouldnt worry about this issue i think!
4-I wish it was more square-ish in look rather than totally rectengular!Bt for 84 usd price its okay!
5-It gets hanged while opening apps sometime,though this problem has become less troublesome over time!!

Over all-
Did I like it-YES
Am I happy?_You bet!
Is it worth the money?-Yes,so far
Does it have card slot/google play/skype/email/mp3/mp4/Netflix support-YES
It supports upto 32 GB external sd/Flash/TF card
It supports epub,kindle,word,excel,powerpoint,doc,Mobi all formats..

SOme recommended apps-All available on Google play and supported by the device-

Fb,Tweetcaster,App2sd,appkiller,Rocket music player,cool reader,amazon kindle,News Republic,Quickpic,Skype,Netflix,Quickoffice,IM+,CNN,MSNBC,FOX,ABC,CBS news..Accuweather,1weather,Politico,Political digest,your local NBC news/weather app,NY times,Israel hayom,Jpost,Israel national news..FB reader,Cool reader,moon reader,aldiko reader,Air reader..Free dictionary,Eng-Spanish dictionary,Goodreads,Meet me,Tetris by Ea sports,Fruit Ninja,Angry birds,

Some fears I had about the tab and how I feel about them after using it?
-Connectivity to wi-fi..My room has 3 devices,1 lop-top and s4 and this tab competing for already relatively weak Wi-Fi..Its a reception problem due to location and angle of my room..The reception is much better in the living room and in my roommates room,But not so in poor lil me's room..But the wi-fi works fine on tab..Its almost 12 hours already and it has worked perfect!Never disconnected by it self,also reconnects on start up..
-Speed-its okay....Good for the intended uses I have in my mind
-Sensitivity of the touch screen-Much less than s4 but its functional and once you get the hang of it..you won't mark the difference at all!
-Supports my fav apps(the list of apps above)-It does!!And other than Tune in/Stitcher radio apps(for my political/news radio interest) all apps i uses are already supported!
-External memory card-yes,it supports 32 Gb or less TF/SD cards!!
-Does it lag/hang up-Not much so far..Sluggish than s4 but functionality is not jeopardized!
-Will my apps be supported?-Yes,as the tab comes with Google play stores,you can use almost any app available for 4.2 Android version..
-Hows the camera?-Bad!!Do not use tab for this purpose..It has 2 cameras,very low resolution..So you can Skype with it..And it works fine!
-Supports Skype and Netflix?-YES!!
-How many apps are installed already-Not many,some 12-20 apps,including Google play,music player,video player and camera etc plus Adobe PDF reader are per-installed..But you have Google play and you can download any app you wish!!
-Does it support push notifications??-I am a big fan of this feature as I am very used to check weather and breaking news all the time..I find apps with push notifications very very useful...The notification bar is i the lowermost part of the tab screen and I am used to use it from the other extreme ll,so it will take some time for me to get used to it..Also,its not as sharp as s4 in this push notification issue!But I already have the phone for this use so I don't think its a big issue for me:)
-Games-I am not that into games..The tab supports almost all of my girly games tho:)And popular games like Fruit ninja and Angry birds work just fine too.I will use more games and update here..

Bottom-line(s)-
I know what you are looking for!I was there till last 2 days!I have seen many many tabs from amazon and eBay and Google!And after reading g hundreds of reviews I took a chance with this tab..I am happy so far,.But as soon as that changes,I will update my review..
I would strongly recommend this budget tab if-
1-you,like me are a student and want to use the tab for functionality/in class work etc and not to show off!
2-To read eBooks and news on a big screen,
3-Netflix and Skype-Okay
4-Much better if you have a better smartphone like me..Than you can go with this tab!
5-NO!You cannot replace your smartphone/lap top with a tab like this..It is sold for 84 USD for a reason!
6-It would make a good gift for a first time user or your 10-12 YO kids..
7-If you are not much tech savvy,this tab is for you!!
8-Overall 5 stars from me at this point of time..

I will update here regularly and answer questions too..

I will update even more as days go by and if I find something worth of sharing!!
Having been through all this,I guess I can be helpful to you!!If you have questions about the tab,leave your comments below and I will try to answer lol:)
Happy Tab hunting !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 13, 2013
As advertised...
Great product.
Gave as a gift to my brother and he loves it.
Uses the products several hours a day

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, January 9, 2013
This is a great tablet. It does everything the Samsung Galaxy does. It is a great buy at half the cost.