5.0 out of 5 stars The primary textbook I consult for regression work
Published on September 5, 2011 by dtae

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book
Published 6 months ago by Christina Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars The primary textbook I consult for regression work, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 3rd Edition (Hardcover)
This is one of the best applied statistics books I've come across. It's particularly good in its coverage of continuous by continuous variable interactions in regression as well as considering basic issues of hypothesis testing in multivariate regression. I also appreciate its discussion of historical traditions which have lead some fields to be more dependent upon regression and some more ANOVA. I haven't seen one other text that comes even close.

It can be a little difficult to connect with contemporary statistics software (e.g. Stata) and terminology at times. For example, they refer to a technique called Fisher's Protected Least Square Difference Test, which I believe to be the same a joint significance in more common regression parlance, but it is hard to confirm. These type of problems are to be expected with different fields using different terms.

One negative reviewer complains that this book is difficult. This depends on what kind of text one is comparing it to. For the deep level of very useful information that it covers, it is the most readable text I've encountered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for practicing social scientists, October 27, 2009
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for social scientists that run regressions. The book's focus in practical and has good discussions on violation of regression assumptions. This edition is actually an updated combination of a book by Cohen & Cohen's and a book by Aiken & West. The latter book has been heavily cited for its discussion of moderation analysis. I would complement this book with Wooldridge's excellent Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach (with Economic Applications, Data Sets, Student Solutions Manual Printed Access Card), which covers similar ground but with an economics focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic!, May 8, 2012
Well, we all know that it is a must-have for all students learning regression. I just started to read it and found that it also included multilevel issues. Cool, how could these guys be so advanced years ago?

5.0 out of 5 stars Canonical Text, February 28, 2014
If you're going to be doing correlation and regression analyses as a researcher, then this is the canonical text. You will want this book as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for methods!, November 3, 2013
An excellent reference on multiple methods topics that I have relied upon extensively. Having he Kindle version is even more advantagous due to its' search-ability and the electronic notes and highlights capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic for behavior research, June 25, 2013
I got this book for class... It is really helpful too me even after the class... Must have for behavior research... very classic... I still use it when I do paper writing...

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Grad Stats, May 6, 2007
I've adopted this text for my graduate seminar in Multiple Regression. I choose it over other texts for the topics AND because it's focus is on concepts rather than math. Now that we can carry SPSSX in our brief case, there is no need to focus on that computation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good one to have on the shelf., March 21, 2010
James Beck (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a reference, so I haven't read everything in it. However, it is an extremely useful book to have on the shelf. I bought it because I had borrowed it from my advisor at least 3 times in the last six months. I recommend this book for anyone who uses the general linear model on a regular basis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book, May 6, 2014
This book could have been written better by using technical writing standards. At times, the wording is bloviated when it could have been written in laymen's terms. I'm not sure why any instructor would choose this book unless it was used for a course with students obtaining a Ph.D in quant. I finally just stopped reading the book and still made a B in my multivariate course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 23, 2014
The book was exactly as expected and delivered on time.

$110.00 $82.50