4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toys, but use caution for younger babies
The Munchkin Sea Squirts have become our son's favourite bath toy, but not without a hiccup or two.

Published on June 11, 2011 by H. Jin

1.0 out of 5 stars Grew mold inside
Published 18 months ago by Natalie

1.0 out of 5 stars Grew mold inside, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
These were very popular with my 6 month old- less to play with in the bath or squirt water out of, and more to gnaw on. However, a few months into having them I noticed that the turtle's flippers looked darker than the rest of the body, and suspected mold. I cut it open and confirmed that I was right. I would be very careful about any toy that has a small hole in it that gets water inside (including rubber ducks!).

1.0 out of 5 stars Super Cute but Develop Mold That Cannot Be Cleaned Out, September 8, 2013
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
I am a first time mom of a super flippin' awesome 4 year old rock star. She love, love, LOVES the water. She is the kind of spaz that will walk in the door at the end of a day stripping off her clothes stating some ridiculous reason for needing to be in the tub. She loved these toys and had loved them since she was about two. Here's the problem just like almost every parent has lied about a hamster the "ran away" when it actually died I have on a few occasions had to lie to my rockstar about where the toys went because when she was two I watched her spit the brownish/black mold out of her mouth from sucking on one of these toys.

Trust me I labored and tried to clean these little guy sucking vinegar into them and spitting it out, sucking more in, shaking it up and spitting it out, sucking more in, shaking it, letting it sit, shaking it some more and then spitting it out. Upgrading to diluted bleach and repeating the process. Nothing worked so I searched on the internet for a way to clean them and no one had any viable ideas for cleaning these and it came down to the same thing everywhere I went "Pitch Them!"

But my daughter LOVED them so I bought another set, this time determined to prevent the mold by squirting them out after each bath. It didn't work. After a few months I pitched them again and bought another set now after each bath I was sucking some vinegar into them and shooting it out after every bath. Mold still developed.

After buying these little toys 5 times now. I am done. It's a waste of my money to buy something that is just going to end up in a landfill. Sorry I just can't do it so I went and found my daughter non-squirting bath toys that are easy to clean . She asks where her little friends went and I tell her they ran off to find their mommies and daddies like in Finding Nemo.

Pros:
Super Cute
Children Will LOVE them

Cons:
They are made of a material that is not safe for kids.
That material doesn't dry out quick enough to prevent mold.
They WILL develop mold no matter what you do.
If your kid loves them you will either wind up replacing them frequently or having to tell your kid that they "went home to their family"

Seriously don't buy these, they're not safe, and become a health hazard within 60days of owning them. We're not neat freaks; we play in the dirt, make messes, and on occasion have been know to catch bugs but we do not play with mold.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toys, but use caution for younger babies, June 11, 2011
H. Jin (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)

We first introduced him to the squirts when he was about 4 months old, and they actually frightened him. These toys hold quite a lot of water, and they pack quite a punch when you squirt them! He was really quite upset by how powerful the jet of water was, so I'd recommend caution when considering using these with really young babies.

Now baby is in his 7th month, and becoming used to all sorts of new things, and he's quickly had a change of heart about these toys. They're small enough for him to hold, soft enough for him to manipulate them himself, and he really enjoys having the water squirted all about. There's not much doubt about what his favourite toy is now!

So I'd definitely recommend these Sea Squirts for bath time fun, especially for older babies and toddlers. But they may take some getting used to for younger bubs, so use caution if your young one is under six months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Interior mold farm. Terrible design., July 3, 2014
J. Beetz (Ogunquit, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
I do not always leave reviews, but in this case it seems important since there is a legitimate safety issue with this product. As other reviewers have said, these toys grew black mold inside of them. We tried to never put them away wet, always squeezing them out after baths, but unfortunately it is IMPOSSIBLE to squeeze them out completely and they were filled with nasty mold after about 2 months.

Even worse, the toys are not terribly transparent (some of them not at all) so you will not even know immediately that they are moldy. Until the mold grows to the point where you can clearly see because the toys which were more translucent have clouded you will not even be aware of it.

Since the whole idea is to use them to squirt water or for our baby to handle and chew (which involves squeezing water out of them) this is almost sure to lead to your child ingesting mold spores. I strongly do not recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Grew mold very quickly, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
I really wanted to love these bath toys, but they grew disgusting black mold on the inside of them very quickly, despite having squeezed out all the water after each bath time. I threw one of them away because it was so disgusting. Sadly, my son is so attached to the green turtle that I let him play with it and just monitor him to make sure he doesn't put it in his mouth.

Even if they didn't grow mold, they are poorly designed because the squirt holes are in odd places where water doesn't easily squirt out of them. Who is going to turn the dolphin upside down to make it squirt?

Keep shopping for bath squirt toys that don't have so many crevices inside to turn into petri dishes of mold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our son's favorite bath toys, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
Our 3 year old has had these squirters since he was a baby and he still demands the crab and turtle for his baths. As a baby I think he liked that they were soft and squishy and colorful. As a toddler he loves filling them with water and squirting them. When my niece visits, she loves the dolphin and octopus and together they have loads of fun squirting each other.

They are soft enough that my son can still fill them with water when he can't with other squirters. It's just a great, colorful set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute with Some Minor Flaws, April 2, 2014
Cute bath toys. Not the highest quality but if you work out the math they are about $1 each and I guess it's pretty good if you think about it that way. All the animals are cute except for the penguin. The penguin doesn't even look like it is supposed to be part of the set. It just looks different. All the others have large heads and big cute googley eyes. The penguin has a big body, small head, and little beady eyes. LOL!!! And a couple of the toys, don't float in the orientation it was designed. Like the walrus, penguin, seahorse which were designed to sit on their bottoms, actually lay on their sides when in the water. But all the other ones are upright and look like they are swimming as intended. Of course my baby doesn't care, since she's only 8 months old, but I thought I would point it out.

Also, The squirt holes are very small in each toy. It is hard to get the water in so we don't really squirt these. They kind of just float around.One of the toys has a misformed hole so it can't squirt at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars TOXIC, March 22, 2014
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
These are made out of PVC, a known toxin. I can't believe they are still making baby toys out of toxic materials. Don't let your baby near these, especially if, like most babies of the intended age (9 mo and up), they're going to put them in their mouth. Even as bath toys for older babies and toddlers, they're not safe.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just went into the trash. BUYER BEWARE!, June 5, 2014
Steven Jennings "racecar bookkeeper abooba" (Mill Creek>Schuylkill River>Delaware River>Atlantic Ocean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin Five Sea Squirts (Baby Product)
My son enjoyed playing with these in the tub, as expected. Despite religiously making sure all the water was squeezed out of them each and every time he was done taking a bath, mold began to grow inside. Since there's no way to clean them through the teeny tiny squirt hole, they've frankly become disgusting.

It's a design flaw. If they simply had a drain plug in the bottom, then perhaps they could be cleaned effectively. Since they don't, you can't. I guess the 6 or 7 bucks you spend on them should be considered only good for a few months of use and then into the trash they go. It's disappointing because my son likes them, but he's not going to play with something that becomes so foul.

Little black specks of mold floating around in the bathwater will be my rapidly fading memory of this crappy product.

3.0 out of 5 stars picture is misleading, September 4, 2013
The product itself is fine, but the advertised picture does not reflect the delivered product. Like other reviewers, I did not receive the adorable sea otter and snail (replaced by a turtle and a blue dolphin, which my child already has from another set). Overall quality is good, but buyer beware! It would have been very helpful if Amazon had noted this in the item description.

Munchkin Five Sea Squirts