4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - with the correct expectations
Published on August 10, 2007 by PghYinzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfaction depends on your expectations...
Published on March 3, 2007 by wilepi

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - with the correct expectations, August 10, 2007
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
I bought these bowls expecting them to end the food-dumping behavior that so many are complaining about. The reviews are correct - they won't help with that. The suction is not strong enough. But what they are good for is helping a child who is learning to self-feed master spoon-related skill without having to worry about the bowl moving around. They're really good when your child is self-feeding cold cereal, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. A smart buy, but will come in handy a little later than you might think.

One more thing - the suction is greatly improved if you lick the bottom of the bowl before you stick it to the table. Unfortunately this lead to a period when my son felt it was customary to lick things before putting them on the table, but this passed quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfaction depends on your expectations..., March 3, 2007
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
Years ago with our first son we had a feeding bowl with a removable suction base that was larger in diameter with hole in the center, but it would not stay down for a reasonable amount of time. It was adequate, but I attributed lack of suction to design flaws. Third time around, and much older, I sought the holy grail of suction cup baby bowls. Seeing this in the store, I felt that perhaps a one piece, smaller diameter suction cup (no hole in the center) might stay in place better. I'm beginning to think that no baby bowl set w/suction base will satisfy my high expectations.

I like these bowls because: 1) the lids stay on real well, 2) they are colorful and the perfect size for taking food places 3) When the suction cup first takes hold, it does a good job 4) they wash up nicely, I've even put them in the dishwasher on heated dry.

My baby is now 15 months old, and very strong. But I've noticed the suction cup dishes really only work if you constantly push down on the bowl to keep them there. This draws attention to our efforts, and curious why we're pushing down so often, the baby pulls extra hard on the sides to get it to come up. Unfortunately for me, but much to her satisfaction, when the suction gives way, the great amount of force which is necessary to get the bowl off has so much momentum behind it, that the bowl's contents really go flying.

What I don't like about these bowls: 1) mine only has 1 suction base, and I don't know how a permanent base affects washability 2) the suction is not long lasting enough to get through a meal which means 3) if your baby wants it off and really pulls, it WILL go flying, rather, the contents will go flying, because the handles are quite nice with non slip material on it for gripping. 4) the shape has real deep, steep sides which make it difficult for the baby to see what's at the bottom, food can "hide" on the sides, and the sides make it difficult to pin food into her spoon. 5) the base is narrow compared to the top, and it makes it tip real easily.

I would ask for these again, and in a way I'm glad my suction cup is non permanent, so that I can use them as bowls to put food in, not put on her tray. As for finding the ultimate suction bowl, I'm really beginning to think that teaching her to leave a non suction dish on the tray/table is my best option. I'm headed to a baby store to do more homework on the Baby Bjorn dish! Hope this helps!

2.0 out of 5 stars Agree with other reviewers...bowls don't stay put, March 20, 2007
Lara Hartley (Apex (near Raleigh), NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
I got these when my son was 12 months old and already a strong little guy who enjoyed dumping his bowls of food onto his high chair tray. Trying to outsmart him, I purchased these hoping to keep some food in a bowl. Much to my disappointment, they only stick to the formica countertops well. The littlest one doesn't even stick to that. None of them stays on my son's plastic high chair tray for more than a second or two.

On the upside, the lids are secure once shut all the way (which can take a little work), so they make great storage for on-the-go finger foods in the diaper bag...I haven't had one leak yet, and I put things like applesauce in them to test them. Not a total waste of money, now that I found this alternate use. They wash well, without any noticeable breakdown of the plastic, on the top rack of the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars They do just what they should, July 25, 2009
L. Bastiani (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
Unless you expect a suction cup to work as well as crazy glue, you'll probably be very happy with these bowls. Obviously, the stick better on plastic and smooth surfaces, and they stick better if you wet the suction cup. One review said that she licked the rim, but I just wet my finger or run the bottom of the bowl under the sink. If they stuck too well, I would think it would be frustrating when you want to move it and have to get a fingernail under there or something. To the reviewer who said that it is probably a better idea just to train your child not to throw things on the floor, I say, that's the right idea.

On the flip side, the bowls really help kids learn to spoon feed since they can scoop things up the side of the bowl. Having a relatively deep bowl is important for that. One problem with the bowls is when you are at a restaurant and the high chair is not very high in comparison to the table so the child is peering over the edge of the bowl.

I use them with the sassy spoons with the handles that curve up like a hill. My 17 month old can eat cereal with milk using those spoons with these cups and most of it goes into her mouth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
I bought these bowls for my 10 month old twins, and unlike everyone else has stated, they do stick to my sons' high chairs. After reading the reviews, I was really scared to buy these, but I am glad that I did because they worked great for my boys. Maybe the difference is the type of high chair, I have the space saver kind that straps to a regular adult chair rather than a full-sized one. Now granted once your child watches you lift the bowl of the tray he will evenually learn to do it too, but until then this is working out great for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars stay put doesn't stay put, January 3, 2007
Kindle Customer (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
The suction on these bowls is so weak that the baby pulled it off the highchair and dumped the contents in a few seconds flat. They do come in lovely colors, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suction does not work, March 17, 2007
McChens (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
I was very excited to get these bowls in the mail because they are so cute, and the concept of having a suction bowl was (and is) appealing to me. My son loved the bowl right away, as he was able to reach into the bowl for some puffs to feed himself instead of having to push the puffs around the table until he could finally grab one in his fingers. I'd also like to add that he ate tofu cubes for the first time out of this bowl and loved them! However, I'm disappointed because the suction on the bowl does not work for more than a few seconds. I'm constantly pushing the bowl back down, which is disruptive to his meal. Despite some of happy memories I've had with this bowl, I would not recommend buying these bowls because as 'suction bowls' they do not serve their purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!!!, May 19, 2011
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
Either I got a different product or they changed the design of these bowls because the suction feature works fine (contrary to other reviews). In fact, it works so well that I have a difficult time getting it off surfaces I place it on. One thing I must say, though, is that simply placing it on a surface will not lead to suctioning ability alone. It works better when you put a small amount of pressure on the bowl.

I also like the fact that the lids on these bowls are super secure, menaing that nothing will get out once the lid is properly on. This is a great feature when traveling with your baby. I simply mix foods prior to leaving and am confident enough that the contents will remain in these bowls by the time I reach my destination.

Overall, for the price, they certainly are not a disappointment. If you are someone who is always on the go like me, these are a must buy. It has made my life much simpler and worry free.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Stay Put" suction bowls DO NOT STAY PUT!, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
If they are going to call them "Stay Put Suction Bowls" then they should tell you HOW to make them stay put or under what specific magical conditions under which they will stay put.

They definitely don't stay stuck for more than 2 seconds to my Mutsy high chair tray. They don't stick at ALL on the wooden dining room table. They stay stuck on the kitchen counter for at least 10 minutes as long as you don't touch them... I'm wondering if maybe they will stick to the tub. Or maybe a glass window... I'm pretty much on a mission to figure out what the hell these stinken bowls WILL "stay put" on. Geez!!!! It's like, didn't they test these things out before they put them on the market? Who decided to call them "STAY PUT"????? If they were just called "Suction Bowls" my "expectations" might have been in check...

Really tired of all the reviews here that say our expectations are too high. Point in case... they are advertised as stay put and that is the one thing they don't do. Even when my 12 month old isn't yanking on them, they slowly just unstick themselves from the counter. It's absurd! I tried washing the counter really well, drying with a cloth, wetting the bottom of the bowl with water, spit, juice, nothing... I feel like all I've been doing with these stupid bowls is playing around with them trying to get them to work PROPERLY.

No, not a total waste of money. The covers stay put, unlike the suction cup base. They wash easily, they don't leak and they are colorful, which I don't like - but my kids do....

I'm still searching for a suction bowl that will stay put. And FYI, Boon suction bowls are even worse!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Microwave safe, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl (Baby Product)
No where in the product description does it tell you these are not microwave safe. This is a deal breaker. Amazon needs to work on their product descriptions.

Munchkin 3 Count Stay Put Suction Bowl