Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Size: Set of 1|Change

on August 10, 2007
I bought these bowls expecting them to end the food-dumping behavior that so many are complaining about. The reviews are correct - they won't help with that. The suction is not strong enough. But what they are good for is helping a child who is learning to self-feed master spoon-related skill without having to worry about the bowl moving around. They're really good when your child is self-feeding cold cereal, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. A smart buy, but will come in handy a little later than you might think.

One more thing - the suction is greatly improved if you lick the bottom of the bowl before you stick it to the table. Unfortunately this lead to a period when my son felt it was customary to lick things before putting them on the table, but this passed quickly.
1313 comments|516 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2007
Years ago with our first son we had a feeding bowl with a removable suction base that was larger in diameter with hole in the center, but it would not stay down for a reasonable amount of time. It was adequate, but I attributed lack of suction to design flaws. Third time around, and much older, I sought the holy grail of suction cup baby bowls. Seeing this in the store, I felt that perhaps a one piece, smaller diameter suction cup (no hole in the center) might stay in place better. I'm beginning to think that no baby bowl set w/suction base will satisfy my high expectations.

I like these bowls because: 1) the lids stay on real well, 2) they are colorful and the perfect size for taking food places 3) When the suction cup first takes hold, it does a good job 4) they wash up nicely, I've even put them in the dishwasher on heated dry.

My baby is now 15 months old, and very strong. But I've noticed the suction cup dishes really only work if you constantly push down on the bowl to keep them there. This draws attention to our efforts, and curious why we're pushing down so often, the baby pulls extra hard on the sides to get it to come up. Unfortunately for me, but much to her satisfaction, when the suction gives way, the great amount of force which is necessary to get the bowl off has so much momentum behind it, that the bowl's contents really go flying.

What I don't like about these bowls: 1) mine only has 1 suction base, and I don't know how a permanent base affects washability 2) the suction is not long lasting enough to get through a meal which means 3) if your baby wants it off and really pulls, it WILL go flying, rather, the contents will go flying, because the handles are quite nice with non slip material on it for gripping. 4) the shape has real deep, steep sides which make it difficult for the baby to see what's at the bottom, food can "hide" on the sides, and the sides make it difficult to pin food into her spoon. 5) the base is narrow compared to the top, and it makes it tip real easily.

I would ask for these again, and in a way I'm glad my suction cup is non permanent, so that I can use them as bowls to put food in, not put on her tray. As for finding the ultimate suction bowl, I'm really beginning to think that teaching her to leave a non suction dish on the tray/table is my best option. I'm headed to a baby store to do more homework on the Baby Bjorn dish! Hope this helps!
44 comments|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2015
The bowls are really cute, but if you're buying them to prevent your toddler from sending food flying all over your floor, look elsewhere. My 12 month old can get the bowl's suction free in less than 1 second.
on August 3, 2015
Don't pay the premium for the suction, it's not worth it. I wish I could give negative stars. Just use some sturdy bowls and some gentle, consistent discipline. You can't buy your way out of this phase.
on July 25, 2009
Unless you expect a suction cup to work as well as crazy glue, you'll probably be very happy with these bowls. Obviously, the stick better on plastic and smooth surfaces, and they stick better if you wet the suction cup. One review said that she licked the rim, but I just wet my finger or run the bottom of the bowl under the sink. If they stuck too well, I would think it would be frustrating when you want to move it and have to get a fingernail under there or something. To the reviewer who said that it is probably a better idea just to train your child not to throw things on the floor, I say, that's the right idea.

On the flip side, the bowls really help kids learn to spoon feed since they can scoop things up the side of the bowl. Having a relatively deep bowl is important for that. One problem with the bowls is when you are at a restaurant and the high chair is not very high in comparison to the table so the child is peering over the edge of the bowl.

I use them with the sassy spoons with the handles that curve up like a hill. My 17 month old can eat cereal with milk using those spoons with these cups and most of it goes into her mouth!
on March 20, 2007
I got these when my son was 12 months old and already a strong little guy who enjoyed dumping his bowls of food onto his high chair tray. Trying to outsmart him, I purchased these hoping to keep some food in a bowl. Much to my disappointment, they only stick to the formica countertops well. The littlest one doesn't even stick to that. None of them stays on my son's plastic high chair tray for more than a second or two.

On the upside, the lids are secure once shut all the way (which can take a little work), so they make great storage for on-the-go finger foods in the diaper bag...I haven't had one leak yet, and I put things like applesauce in them to test them. Not a total waste of money, now that I found this alternate use. They wash well, without any noticeable breakdown of the plastic, on the top rack of the dishwasher.
on May 28, 2015
Suction is super weak. I followed directions perfectly. My boy had it pulled up within ten minutes.
on May 11, 2011
I bought these bowls for my 10 month old twins, and unlike everyone else has stated, they do stick to my sons' high chairs. After reading the reviews, I was really scared to buy these, but I am glad that I did because they worked great for my boys. Maybe the difference is the type of high chair, I have the space saver kind that straps to a regular adult chair rather than a full-sized one. Now granted once your child watches you lift the bowl of the tray he will evenually learn to do it too, but until then this is working out great for me.
on January 3, 2014
I ordered this set because I really wanted lids for all 3 bowls. I had previously gotten a set with only 1 lid. I saw this one...it was a little more expensive so I assumed that must be for the lids? Nope - this only came with 1 lid as well. I went back and checked the description and promised in the description was 3 lids. Lies. :-(.
on August 1, 2014
I bought these bowls almost 2 months ago, as we're encouraging our DS to feed himself.

1. I like that they come in different sizes. I feel like we can 'move down a size' as he gets more sure of himself.

2. I'm not a fan of the handles on the sides. I certainly don't need them. My DS can remove the bowls from his high chair, and he uses the handles to do so. I'll be looking for another set without the handles.

3. The suction cups aren't that great. I find myself having to reattach the bowl several times. I didn't expect them to be so suctioned I had trouble removing them, but I can't help but feel that because my DS removes them so often the suction has worn down faster than normal.

All in all the bowls are OK. Perhaps if you start your child on the path to self feeding earlier than we did they would be better, but I won't recommend them to parents with older children.