Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 21, 2012
My vid that shows the features of the Munchkin projector sound system.
UPDATE: July 2013- Munchkin sound system still works great, after several drops and abuse from my toddler son.
4545 comments| 1,347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2012
Purchased this for our daughter in mid April and really fell in love with the design and features. The variety of sounds, the colorful images as well as the excellent inclusion of a timer and sound activation were wonderful. It even includes a nightlight!

But....

Here we are a little over a month after our purchase and we are sorely disappointed. The projector no longer works; the light does turn on but it no longer moves. Considering the price of this sound system I would have hoped for a much longer lifespan.

Contacted Munchkin customer service via email and am awaiting a response for replacement.

Update June 11, 2012
Munchkin has replaced our unit and included a few extra items to make up for the shipping costs incurred by us. The new unit functions so far and we'll see how long it lasts.
77 comments| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
Out of the box, this thing is great! My kid absolutely loved it. He loved the little light show that plays on the ceiling and he liked that he could holler at it if he woke up in the middle of the night and have it turn back on.

I first ordered this about a year ago. We had the Fisher Price Precious Planet mobile that we had originally used for my son, but because we were expecting a new baby, we gave her that mobile since it attached to the crib and got my son the Munchkin Nursery Projector. As I said, he love it, it was perfect, life was good. Until a few months later when the thing started making a strange, labored sound, and then just died. To Amazon's credit, I returned it as defective, and I had a new one in my hands 2 days later. Again, perfect out of the box, life was good. Again, it died a few months later. I was still within the return period, so Amazon sent me another. Two nights ago it died again. I'm one week out of the return period. So no more projector. Insert sad face here.

I really like this product when it works. It just wish that Munchkin would fix it so that it would actually work for more than a few months.

Oh, and PS? The Fisher Price Precious Planet mobile is still going strong after 3.5 years. I should have just saved my money and gotten another one of those.
on July 27, 2014
I'm so frustrated! I would be done with this product and never EVER buy it again but my 2 year old is addicted. So I have ANOTHER one in my Amazon cart right now. This is my 6TH one. Yes, I have bought this same exact thing 6 times because it keeps breaking. I've tried customer service (both munchkin and Amazon) and both were a huge hassle and fell through.

I would switch to a new noise maker but I haven't found one with the noise activation. That is the best feature here. My toddler has been able to self soothe since he was a new baby because he can make a sound and the thing turns back on and he is lulled back to sleep. Now at 2 1/2, if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he does a loud "oooooohh" and makes it turn on. I can't find any other product with this feature. BUT after a few months, it will stop spinning. Or the speaker will break. Or it will randomly turn off after 30 seconds. You name it, something will go wrong. And if your kid is conditioned to only fall asleep with the sound and projector (like mine is) you will keep buying this product over and over again.
88 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
I wanted to like this product - it combined a couple of different machines I already own - a projector, a sound machine with a timer & volume control...but what I didn't like on this unit was the nightlight button. It has a very bright blue glowing light that doesn't turn off. I had already invested in black out liners for the curtains in the baby's room, so it was upsetting to me to have this bright light always shining from this button on the product - (when it had previously been nice and dark in the room). I bought the Conair SU1W Sound Therapy, Silver instead and I love it. It has a very small red light by the power button, it has a 60 min timer and 10 sound options. I'm happy using my existing projector(s) with that Conair unit and I don't have to worry about a bright nightlight button on the Munchkin.
review image review image review image
on December 17, 2012
We've had this for awhile now, and it's grown on me. At first I was not a fan, but now, I couldn't imagine night time without it.

First the cons:
The speaker on this sound system is pretty cheap - it's not the easiest to listen to at higher volumes. However, you probably don't want it that loud while the baby is sleeping, so it's not a huge deal.
There's no place to put in a CD. I know, it's kind of cheap to rate it on its lack of a feature, but if it had a CD tray, this thing would be practically perfect.

The pros:
The projector can be angled! It sits in a sort of "eye" that can be moved 90 degrees, to place it on a wall, or on the ceiling. My toddler loves to play with it, and wants it on the wall one night, and the ceiling the next.

Interchangeable projector slides. There are three slides included, and they're pretty nice. I don't get much use out of two of them because my toddler is on a monkey phase, and always asks for monkeys before bed. I know one of the others is an ocean scene. I couldn't tell you what the third is.

The sounds are nice. The heartbeat is, as usual, a little weird sounding, but the lullabies are good, and we usually end up with the rain or the ocean on all night. Since this is right next to my bed, it's good that the sounds aren't terribly annoying.

The timer
The timer sets for both the projector and the sounds. It can be set for different options, and even set to leave everything on until it's turned off. I LOVE that feature. We can leave it on all night (for the infant who requires sounds ALL the time to sleep) or we can set it for 15 minutes - just long enough to get the toddler asleep for his nap.

The volume control is very sensitive too. I can turn it way down so you can barely hear it a foot away, or loud enough to hear it across the house.

I'm very satisfied with this purchase all in all.

Edit:
I just wanted to edit this review to say we are STILL very happy with this purchase. The toddler was moved into his own room, and this was set on the dresser next to him. He LOVES turning it on and off and changing the sounds every night. And amazingly, the thing gets pushed off the dresser every other day and it STILL WORKS. We have had to turn it upside down, or take the projector disc out and then put it back in, but it hasn't stopped working yet, and I am AMAZED. This thing has been beaten up by two toddlers, and it's still kickin. LOVE IT.

Edit May 14, 2014:
So, it finally died after being dropped off the nightstand one too many times. Alas. I guess the 5000th time was just one time too many. I just bought another one. Still LOVE this sucker.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
Bought this about 3 years ago for my daughter and loved it and all the features. The 3 different projection discs, the different sounds (Heartbeat, ocean, lullabies, rain, white and Mozart.
There are separate buttons for the projection, sound, and night light. There's a timer for 15, 30 or 60 min or leave the timer off and it will run continuously. Voice activation is a nice touch.
The top of the unit where the projection comes from can be moved. If it's on a shelf, changing table or night stand, the images can be projected onto the ceiling or walls around the room without moving the machine.

The projector did stop rotating after about 9 months. I assumed it was because it was left on quite a bit. Even when it didn't move we would look at whatever was on the ceiling and say what we saw. She liked that part of her bedtime routine and didn't care that it wasn't rotating.

We actually purchased another one recently to use with our nb (now 3 mo old). She loves the heartbeat sound on it and falls asleep on her own next to me. She likes staring at the blue night light but I shut it off after 15-20 min. The blue light, as well as the button to turn it off, go out. I thought the button stayed lit on the previous one but not sure. On my current one it doesn't.
review image review image review image review image
on March 16, 2012
We found this after receiving a defective Homedics Soundspa. The Homedics projector got stuck and made loud funny noise the moment we played it. We looked for a similar product and found one made by Munchkin. We are very happy so far and wished we had found this earlier. Not only the projector runs smoothly, this product is of higher quality all around. Sound quality is clear and much superior. More sound selections, 3 Mozart songs, 3 nursery songs, a white noise, rain, and heartbeat noise. It offers voice activation, volume settings, and runs on 3 different timer settings, or non-stop if needed. For only $5-10 more this is a definite winner.
0Comment| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2015
I bought this product via Walmart, not Amazon but I want to share my review about this product. This product worked really good in the beginning. I thought we got a great nursery projector and sound system FINALLY! My son really seemed to enjoy the projector and sound system. When we bought it, we placed it on the stand next to his crib and was NEVER really moved, DID NOT EVER drop on the floor or anything and just one day out of the blue the projector didn't to act up. The sound system worked and the light worked (which btw the light isn't all that bright enough to seem much). We would press the sound and than the projector and the projector wouldn't work. Even tried just the projector and still didn't work. It would come on if you hold and press the projector but barely even than. I DO NOT recommend this product at all. I wish I would have got a warrenty or even kept the receipt. I would have took it back! This is the WORST nursery projector and sound system I have EVER bought. Here is a picture, don't mind the hair dye in the picture!
review image
on February 7, 2014
I bought two of these, the projector stopped rotating about a month in with one, the sound stopped working just this week (less than 2 months in). Wish this product lasted a little longer. Don't waste your money