5.0 out of 5 stars fresh foods and convenience
This is an incredibly useful product. We use it with our 7 month old, and he can feed himself fresh fruit and vegetables. Apples and pears work best. Carrots give him something to chew on, but he doesn't get very far. Bananas are his favorite, though they are the messiest and hardest to clean up--the riper the banana the easier it is to clean the mesh. The nicest...
Published on November 16, 2006 by SCC

1.0 out of 5 stars California's prop 65 warning!!!!
After i ordered and paid for this item, in Amazons order summary confirmation email, there was a warning that one or all of my 12 items may be subject to California's Prop 65 law, but it didn't tell me which one- annoying. I had Amazon call me and got great customer service from a guy who looked up every one of my items and found that this was the one subject to Prop 65...
Published on August 24, 2010 by C. kangro

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars It's true. One-time use only., January 10, 2012
I&D (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 2 Pack Fresh Food Feeder, Colors May Vary (Baby Product)
Yes, I read all the reviews saying that these are impossible to clean. I thought: oh I'm not some OCD clean freak; plus I'll clean it right after use, unlike all those OTHER people. Silly me! Everyone was right. You know how they sell those bottle brushes, complete with nipple brush? That's because we don't want bacteria in our babies' foods, right? Since they don't sell a brush in the world that could clean this thing, there is really no way to get it clean. And I don't want my sweet boy ingesting some banana from last week. It was fun for a one-off experiment! But we like to be more sustainable than one-off excursions into plastic. Oops. Humble pie is mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea. VERY hard to clean., December 9, 2007
Our son liked squishing banana out of this, however it only gets one star since it's impossible to clean quickly. Baby products must be easy to clean fully or they don't get used. Preferably they should easy to take apart and load in the dishwasher. I stood over the sink for 10 minutes plucking banana fibers from the mesh. That's a nightmare scenario for a baby feeding tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for introducing foods and for teething babies/toddlers, November 22, 2006
Erwynn (Colorado Springs, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
We got this for our daughter when she was 8 months old. They had just come out with this brand and it was a lot cheaper than the alternative brand. It is so simple to clean and none of the pieces come apart. The other brand you have to screw together. My daughter bangs it around everywhere and it never pops open. Whatever we're eating we can put in there and she just munches on it with no choking risk at all. And when she's teething I throw some frozen fruit in it and she loves it. It's amazing how much frozen fruit in this thing can stop the screaming of a teething baby. She has teeth now and can't chew it apart, or pull pieces of string off of it or anything; it's very sturdy. Even though she doesn't need it anymore because she eats solids with a fork and spoon now, it was extremely helpful to have and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for little "do-it-myself"-ers!, June 8, 2009
Jaynie M. Shady-Hall (Jersey Shore, PA USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter, who is just about 6 months, has been eating foods weekly for about 2 months now. She just wouldn't quit grabbing the spoon, she wanted to do it herself(and really wanted the spoon for teething!)
So I remembered seeing this with my first child, I thought it was a ridiculous concept...but now, it just might be one of the greatest inventions for her generation (and mine!).
She started with ice cubes, she has sore gums almost daily.
Then we took it up a notch to frozen, stage 1, baby foods.
Now she's onto chunks of fresh peaches and anything else she can get her hands on.
My daughter has a genetic problem with the tendons in her arms/hands/fingers and can't fully extend her fingers, but she has no trouble gripping this handle up to gnaw her way to the good stuff.
Even cleaning hasn't been bad, just try washing it as soon as they are done, or at least rinsing it. Using a bottle brush for those hard to get out chunks.
Just wish it had replaceable bags like some other brands. Might try those after this one has seen it's last day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gadget, August 24, 2009
I have one of these for my 6 month old granddaughter. I pop a chunk of apple or banana etc. in and she goes to town. It is so easy to clean. Even with banana. I take it to the sink right away and rinse it off under a strong stream of cold water, turn the bag inside out (so easy!) and do the same and then finish it off with a rinse in very hot water. Sometimes I swish it around in sudsy water and rinse it good, but we have very hot water so I don't worry about germs that much. It comes out looking like new. I let it dry on the counter on a clean towel. This little gadget will keep my granddaughter happy for quite a while, but as soon as she's not interested anymore I take it to the sink and clean it, never had any problems getting it clean and sometimes it is quite a mess. It closes so securely I never worry about her being able to open it and the handle is so nice she can easily hold it herself. She gets excited when she sees me getting this ready.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for teething - a pain to clean., November 12, 2007
Erin Rippy (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I feel it's important for baby to learn how to eat from a spoon so I only use these feeders as a teething tool, not for regular mealtimes. Chunks of frozen fruit or frozen puree cubes in these little feeders work great for soothing sore gums and also giving baby something that tastes yummy at the same time. My daughter enjoys chunks of frozen bananas (although those are hardest to clean from the mesh). I've also done chunks of cooked and frozen apples, peaches, pears, and even sweet potato. Put a bib on your child, it will be messy.

The feeders get 4 stars instead of 5 simply because they're a pain to clean. Bananas especially. They don't come clean in the dishwasher, so don't even try. I've found that soaking in warm soapy water and then scrubbing the mesh gently with a child-size toothbrush works best. Also, the mesh starts to break apart after repeated use, so throw them away and buy new ones when that happens.

I believe the Sassy brand feeders have mesh bag replacements available. I'm not sure about the Munchkin.

All in all, a good product. The extra effort it takes to clean them is worth it for the relief these provide to a teething baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this product!, May 17, 2009
We have a baby who, already at 7 months, seems to want to do things herself. She tolerates us feeding her with a spoon, but will often grab the spoon away, wanting to feed herself (or chew on the spoon). I had bought a package of these, but was planning on returning it because it was yet another baby "gadget" and I have been getting overwhelmed with baby gadgets. I decided to try it out after all and I am so glad I did! My daughter LOVES feeding herself with this thing. I usually put a peeled piece of apple or slices of avocado and she will sit in her high chair and suck on them for a long time. It's a great activity for her to do while I am cooking dinner. The handle is big so she can easily grab on to it and maneuver it to her mouth. I think it is a great way to help her learn hand-eye coordination too.

I personally haven't had any problems cleaning it. I am not sure what the big deal is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neat idea, not for fruit however, May 25, 2010
These are a brilliant concept but a poor execution. I bought these for my teething 5 month old, and threw in some banana pieces. Bad idea. These things are impossible to clean, food gets stuck everywhere. I tried cold mango too, same results- 3 times through the dishwasher, soaking and scrubbing cannot remove all the food bits. And I'm not super paranoid about germs, but that just seems unsanitary. Another brand recommended cleaning with warm water, vinegar, and alka seltzer, so I'll be trying that- but in the meantime, will NOT be putting fresh fruit in these.
That being said, I do make and freeze my own baby food, and a cube of that is messy but provides neater cleanup of the product, so it's not a total loss.
Will I buy these for my next baby? God no. Not untill the design is revamped and I don't have to spend hours picking little banana bits out of the seams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but hard to clean, July 9, 2007
I think this is a great concept but I find it very hard to clean. Banana is almost impossible to get out. All the fibers of the banana get stuck in the seams and it is so hard to get out. I ended up cutting the extra mesh around the seam hoping it would help a little. I put them in the dishwasher, use a scrub brush, etc but there's always something left. And then it gets dried up in the mesh and flakes off but is still stuck in those darn seams! Maybe I just need to use firmer fruits and veggies and leave the banana for finger food.

Kind of a hassle but baby loves it and I can give her a little "appetizer" while I am getting her meals ready.

4.0 out of 5 stars it took a couple of tries, February 24, 2009
The first time I introduced the teether to my 5.5 month old daughter she banged it on the high chair tray but did not eat--I do NOT recommend putting fresh banana into the mesh bag--it was difficult to clean. A few days later I tried again with canned apricot and she loved it. She also loves to chew on the handle part of this teether. She does not yet have teeth. Now when my child is done sucking the juice out of fruit it is easy to dump the dried lump out of the mesh bag.

The clip is sometiems difficult to open, but that's probably a good thing since it's a child's food product. Just be patient with yourself (to get it open) and with your child--a few tries may be necessary before s/he enjoys it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›