5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent spoon for learning to eat solids
Published on November 8, 2010 by Zlata

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the gimmick, but they stain super easily
I loved the "safety feature" these spoons offered by turning white when the baby food is too hot. Like most moms, I microwave the baby's frozen foods to warm them up and want to be careful about getting things the right temperature.

Published on April 7, 2010 by S. Bullen

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the gimmick, but they stain super easily, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)

Unfortunately, the spoons stained after only one use with a colored food. I used a spoon to serve my baby carrots -- plain mashed carrots -- and the spoon was permanently stained orange after that. It doesn't detract from the spoons' heat safety feature, of course, but it does make the spoons look kind of cheap and gross.

Also, it might be my imagination, but it seems like the spoons are not equally sensitive to heat. Some of the spoons seemed to turn white when the food is just a little too warm and others seemed to turn white only when the food was scorching hot. I still find myself touching each spoonful of food to my own lip before giving it to the baby.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT BPA free, June 23, 2010
girl in SF (San Francisco, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
I contacted the manufacturer because I wanted to know if these spoons are BPA and phthalate free, and their reply was, "The Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons are not 100% BPA free yet; they are Phthalate free." That's not good enough. Don't buy these spoons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent spoon for learning to eat solids, November 8, 2010
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
I purchased these spoons and the plastic Nuby spoons and these are far superior. Both have the feature that changes color if the food is too hot, but I don't really use that because I'm just not going to put something in my baby's mouth that has been heated without testing it myself first. The thing that sets these apart is the shape of the actual bowl of the spoon. It is very shallow which allows my little guy to learn to get all of the food off of the spoon with each bite. The others had a bowl that was way to deep and made it hard to get any food from the spoon into his mouth. The shape of the tip of the spoon is also perfect for getting the last little bit of food out of a small crevice in the container. It fits perfectly in his mouth and the handle is comfortable for me to hold. I also really like that the spoon is wrapped so that it isn't just metal when the baby bites down. I have been using these spoons for over a month now and haven't had any issues at all with staining. I just put them in the silverware rack in my dishwasher and they come out good as new every time. They are great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird spoons, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
These spoons turn HARD after a few washings in the dishwasher. I guess the thermal plastic reacts bad to hot washing? They got stained right away from the bright colors of baby food, and after about 3 months they have turned hard. Like, I might as well be using a metal spoon. My baby is a teething machine right now and she does NOT like these spoons. I will throw them away they've become useless. Get the regular ones that aren't thermal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shallow Bowl Eases the Transition to Solid Foods..., May 3, 2010
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
I first used the Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons at my daughter's home when feeding her son. I really liked the shallow spoon bowl which made it much easier for her little one to learn to eat from a spoon. Because he was used to sucking his bottle, the baby spoons with deeper bowls proved to be very frustrating for both baby and adult. It took awhile for him to get the technique associated with spoon-feeding, but the shallow bowl on the Munchkin spoon was very conducive to easing his transition to eating solid foods. We do pay attention to the color change and wait until the spoon stays its original color before feeding heated foods.

There has been no problem with the spoons staining, even the lighter colors clean up very nicely in the dishwasher - top shelf, of course. The spoons have been used for broccoli, prunes, yellow squash, green peas and blueberries, so if they were going to stain these foods would have done the trick. Of course, we do rinse them before putting them in the dishwasher, so that may help prevent staining.

I would urge those who need baby spoons to consider the Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoon for its helping transition your little one to solid foods.

1.0 out of 5 stars These Claim Everything is "White Hot", December 3, 2012
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
The idea of being able to detect if food is too hot for baby without testing it is excellent but the delivery is pretty poor. Even if something is mildly lukewarm, these spoons turn white and say it's hot, so they aren't reliable temperature gauges; therefore, I still have to put food to my lips to test it. The heat detection isn't consistent across spoons from the same package either. Testing the same bowl of food with 3 spoons from the package, some spoons turn whiter than others.

We used these for several months and I even hand washed them to preserve them and they still stain and become discolored around the edges of the spoon! This makes them look cheap and dirty. Also, the part of the spoon where the baby eats from is made of hard plastic and doesn't scrape the bowl too well, leaving food behind. If this part was made of rubber, it would scrape much better.

I wouldn't recommend these at all. We switched to the Gerber Graduates BPA Free 6 Pack Soft Bite Infant Spoon and are much happier with them. They don't indicate temperature of the food (these Munchkin spoons don't either!) but they are much better quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars These are fun, June 23, 2013
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
I love that these change colors! It's so fun. Unfortunately after two weeks of using and washing I have noticed a marked change in their ability to turn white. Also the pink one is now discolored from an encounter with hot sweet potatoes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Soft tip nice, Hot meter off, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
The spoon tip turns white if the food could be described as anything warmer than luke warm. For beginner babies that is an appropriate temperature. However, because the spoon is so sensitive, we ended up feeling it with our hands every time anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Não gostei, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon (Baby Product)
Elas são muito razas,não pegam o alimento bem.São muito curtinhas e um pouco pesada.Não gostei,quase nem uso com o meu filho.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
Great spoons for babies.

Munchkin 4 Pack White Hot Safety Spoon
$6.13
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies