Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Size: 4 Count|Change
Price:$3.81+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on April 7, 2010
I loved the "safety feature" these spoons offered by turning white when the baby food is too hot. Like most moms, I microwave the baby's frozen foods to warm them up and want to be careful about getting things the right temperature.

Unfortunately, the spoons stained after only one use with a colored food. I used a spoon to serve my baby carrots -- plain mashed carrots -- and the spoon was permanently stained orange after that. It doesn't detract from the spoons' heat safety feature, of course, but it does make the spoons look kind of cheap and gross.

Also, it might be my imagination, but it seems like the spoons are not equally sensitive to heat. Some of the spoons seemed to turn white when the food is just a little too warm and others seemed to turn white only when the food was scorching hot. I still find myself touching each spoonful of food to my own lip before giving it to the baby.
on March 14, 2016
Great spoons! I love the longer length and the fact that you get a slightly larger amount of food on to the spoon than other baby spoons. They are made of very sturdy plastic, so they are perfect if you want to keep a few in your diaper bag for feeding while you are out and about. They also have a nice thick grip- I plan to use these to help my son learn how to use utensils. The smaller spoons with a thin medal handle are more difficult for a baby to grip and control, these have a better size whether you are feeding the baby yourself or giving it to an older baby or toddler to feed themselves.
on November 8, 2010
I purchased these spoons and the plastic Nuby spoons and these are far superior. Both have the feature that changes color if the food is too hot, but I don't really use that because I'm just not going to put something in my baby's mouth that has been heated without testing it myself first. The thing that sets these apart is the shape of the actual bowl of the spoon. It is very shallow which allows my little guy to learn to get all of the food off of the spoon with each bite. The others had a bowl that was way to deep and made it hard to get any food from the spoon into his mouth. The shape of the tip of the spoon is also perfect for getting the last little bit of food out of a small crevice in the container. It fits perfectly in his mouth and the handle is comfortable for me to hold. I also really like that the spoon is wrapped so that it isn't just metal when the baby bites down. I have been using these spoons for over a month now and haven't had any issues at all with staining. I just put them in the silverware rack in my dishwasher and they come out good as new every time. They are great!
on June 23, 2010
I contacted the manufacturer because I wanted to know if these spoons are BPA and phthalate free, and their reply was, "The Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons are not 100% BPA free yet; they are Phthalate free." That's not good enough. Don't buy these spoons.
33 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
I love these spoons. I purchased them, and then repurchased them because they worked so well for baby and me! They are easy to clean, do not hold odors, are a good size, come in pleasant colors, and are comfortable to hold. They fit well in baby's little mouth, but also hold a good amount of food. Some people complained they were too small, or flat, but honestly, it works perfectly for us, and babies do not need a large amount of food served in one bite. I never had issues with my purees dripping off the spoon, in fact, the silicone material actually holds the food on well. I definitely did not have a problem with their size.
I don't find the white hot safety feature to be 100% necessary, as I prefer to taste the baby's food myself (to check for uneven heating, etc) but it does work. It doesn't seem to work as well if you "test" it in hot water...the safety feature reacts best to actual food.
One more thing--I find them easier to clean and sterilize because they are made from silicone and metal, not plastic. Also, the plastic spoons tend to get chewed up and indented (which can get sharp) once the baby develops teeth. However, the material of these spoons will be able to withstand teeth.
All in all, I really like these spoons. I have 2 packs of them and use them daily. They have held up great to daily use and are a good value. I highly recommend these.
on December 20, 2015
Great set of spoons! The handles are a bit flimsy (don't look for high quality steel here), but it's not like you will be doing serious mixing with these. The dips in the spoons are pretty shallow, which is excellent for a baby spoon as our baby isn't very proficient at eating cleanly anyway. The rubber is thick and without seams which might hurt a baby's mouth. Our little one is in the middle of teething, and I think these spoons are kinder on his gums and new teeth than a metal spoon would ever be.

I don't have much to say about the heat-sensing mechanic. It does work (at least they turn white when I'm washing them in hot water). However, I don't heat my baby food up before serving, and even if I did, the food tends to coat the colored part of the spoon so thoroughly that I'm not sure I'd notice a color change in any case. So if you are getting these just for that aspect, I'm not sure whether it would end up being a useful feature or not.

Overall, I really like these and have found that they work great for a baby without teeth or just getting his first chompers in. I'd recommend these for any new mom!
on February 28, 2013
The spoon tip turns white if the food could be described as anything warmer than luke warm. For beginner babies that is an appropriate temperature. However, because the spoon is so sensitive, we ended up feeling it with our hands every time anyway.
on March 15, 2016
These are great spoons! The color changing was a great feature when mixing to be sure the middle wasn't too hot. The soft spoon tips were ideal for teething babies and sore gums. The colors were fun but I do wish they came in neutrals. They washed easily and were very durable for daily use. Highly recommend for little babes!
on January 21, 2016
Used these for all my kids - perfect to detect hot spots in oatmeal, pasta, etc.

Get 3 sets - put one in each diaper bag, leave one at your mothers and one at your friends where you visit and feed your baby.

Nice and soft on new teeth for a biting baby who chews silverware.
on December 5, 2015
! ! ! DANGER ! ! ! WE HAD ONE SPOON THAT WAS NOT FINISHED (I.E. DE-BURRED) PROPERLY, AS A RESULT A LARGE METAL SPLINTER PROTRUDED FROM THE HANDLE. THIS METAL SPLINTER STABBED ME IN THE FINGER DURING WASHING - DRAWING BLOOD.

SEE 2x ATTACHED PICTURES.

IF YOU HAVE THESE SPOONS, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL - INSPECT THEM CAREFULLY!!!

THANKFULLY, THIS HAPPENED TO ME AND NOT MY 6-MONTH OLD DAUGHTER'S FACE.

I WILL BE CONTACTING THE COMPANY.
review image review image