Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Colors May Vary|Change

on November 8, 2010
As much as my 5mo loves this ball I can't give it any lower than a 5 star review even though there is room for improvement (as I will detail below). The ball has ten different "nubs" on it with different textures around them and my baby LOVES chomping on them. The nubs are each about the width of my thumb which is perfect for him as it is my thumb he would otherwise be chomping on (or his own fist). A drool bib is a good idea to have on babies at this stage as the gnawing on stuff tends to produce a LOT of slobber.

Please note the ball is SURFACE CLEAN ONLY! Because of the twisting apart (where it makes a ratcheting sound that baby likes and isn't too obnoxiously loud like some other toys, it is also a quiet rattle when shaken), water CAN get into it if immersed (doesn't seem to be letting too much drool in though). One reviewer claims that it smells terrible, I have a VERY sensitive nose and ours doesn't smell after about a month of constant use (it is baby's favorite inanimate object, so much so that we just purchased a 2nd one to have one for home and one for car/out & about). A commenter asked another reviewer and didn't get a response - yes, it is made in China.

As for improvement, one annoying thing is that there is no way to secure it to prevent it from hitting the floor when baby drops it (which babies love to do even when they DO have coordination enough to hold onto something). I solved this personally by putting a small hair elastic around it(fits between the ratchety part and the nubs so it still twists), then using various things such as pacifier clips and link rings through that to secure it to baby carrier or high chair at a restaurant. Having a way to tether the thing with those linking rings would be a MAJOR improvement IMO - and could be achieved by redoing the mold so that one (or two) of the nubs has a hole through it that a holder can go through. It could also be improved by having some gel inside to stay cold after being in the fridge - could be cool to even just have that in SOME of the nubs instead of all of them as I bet babies would LOVE to compare the different temperatures in their mouths (and that also lets parents know if it's worth keeping it in the fridge, if baby doesn't seem to prefer the cold nubs over the regular ones). If there was a way to allow it to come apart so it COULD be immersed and washed thoroughly that would also be an improvement particularly for the more germphobic among us. I get around this myself by only immersing it half at a time and being careful not to get the center split into the water, surface-cleaning that part afterward, but I'd love to be able to like press-and-twist like a pill bottle to get it to open and be able to drop it into a dishwasher or at least a dishbin of soapy water. I wouldn't trade the ratcheting sound and such for that, though, as my son gets a lot of enjoyment from that. If that is particularly a big issue for you, it seems there are other one-piece products on the market that may suit you better.

Oh, and we call ours "the Nom Ball" (as in nom-nom-nom - current parlance for the act of chewing on something). It's the for-nomin'-on in our house (say it fast, it's a very bad pun)
on February 13, 2008
This teether looks better live, it's well designed and the colors are much brighter than what's shown in the picture. When you twist it, it makes a cool clicking sound. I know my baby would have loved this toy, but the reason I didn't give it to her was that the one I received had what appeared to be dried crusty glue around the seams that would not wash off no matter how hard I scrubbed. I can't possibly give this to my baby to put in her mouth. Too bad. The cost of this item doesn't justify paying postage to return it, so maybe I'll let my daughter play with it when she stops putting everything in her mouth.
on December 16, 2015
I really like this ball as does my baby. Each of the nubs has a different pattern on it which I think is really nice. Plus it has a quiet rattle sound (not annoying!) and clicks as you turn it. For being simple it has a lot to offer. As other reviews have stated, it has a very funny bad smell to it. I tasted it before giving to baby and it was awful! Super chemically! So as to not get water on the inside, I scrubbed with dish soap and water with a tooth brush and washed clean. Since then it has been great. He enjoys sucking on the nubs. It also easy for him to hold.
on March 7, 2011
My babies didn't really like this toy much, the dog showed more interest,
it does make a clicking sound, but it takes a much older child to get it to work
2 or so years old. They don't really use it as a teether, so it sits,just an FYI from
a mom that trys everything lol!
on February 22, 2015
I like the idea and my son seems to like it too but, the fact that it has such a strong chemical smell turns me off. Im not like most parents who are worried about bpa free, etc toys but one whiff of it made my stomach turn. So if i cant handle the smell im pretty sure my son cant either. Also theres some type of rattling noise in the ball and it mentions nothung about a rattle inside so i wonder what it is. Skip this teething toy all together.
on June 21, 2015
I thought it would be perfect for us but unfortunately it didn't work out. I imagined it to be softer but it's a little too hard for us. Would you want to gnaw on something hard if you only had gums? I think the Munchkin hand and feet teethers are the best! They can go in the fridge and they are soft and gel-like.
on July 15, 2015
My daughter loves to chew on this- it has so many different nubs for her to chew, naw, suck, etc. It has different textured bits, and it twists and rattles. She played with it at a friend's house and so we had to buy her one for our house, too. To be fair, it does seem like this is a "hit or miss" item- my friend's daughter never played with hers, but my daughter loves it!
on June 2, 2013
I bought the pink and yellow version of this toy from Kmart but came here to read the reviews after the fact. As everyone else has noted, there is a very bad chemical smell to this teether. I did not notice this smell until after I read the reviews on Amazon. Well, I think I may have found a solution to get ris of the smell (at least most of it) I sprinkled a little Arm and Hammer baking soda onto a damp cloth and then wiped the teether down tith it. Afterwards I took a different wet cloth and wiped away any residue left from the baking soda. This appears to have helped greatly as the teether smells a good 75% better. I will try it again in a few days. I hope it works for you as well.
on December 27, 2013
My 5m old likes it but isn't getting the concept. We through a lot at him at, all at once, at Christmastime... so I'm sure this will make the next toy rotation for him. (: It's made well and I love the clicking noise it makes when you rotate it. I'm sure he will love it. The texture on the teether parts will feel good on his gums when he's teething.
on January 14, 2015
I brought this toy for my son when he was around 5 months old. It was too heavy for him until he was almost 7 months old. At this point he love it and would not stop turning it and biting on it. Easy to clean.