Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on October 9, 2010
I am a 40 yr old student at Foothill Community College in Los Altos, CA and this quarter decided to take Spanish 1. Our instructor uses this book and its accompanying website instruction solely and mentioned that this is the textbook that UC San Diego uses (wow! a UC education at a fabulous community college! :-)

Each chapter of this textbook is broken down into well-organized sections that are set up for the student to benefit the most from their learning experience. In addition, as a student you have access to the website grammar tutorial, quizzes, activities, tests, etc. The whole package is great for all types of learners (visual, etc.) If using this text alone, you can go at your own pace; if using it within a classroom environment, it's easy to understand format helps find and review information.

I hate the loose-leaf aspect, though! I put it into a 3-ring binder and pages began to tear (a lot of page turning back and forth) so I attached those circular hole enforcer sticker things which doubled the thickness of the pages. However, a classmate took his to Kinko's and got it bound in a spiral binding - so I plan on doing the same to mine - today!

Great textbook!
on October 12, 2011
The textbook, is OK. It is full of pictures, but not to much text, so it takes some guessing around to figure out how to put sentences together in Spanish, which is significantly different than in English or German the two other languages I am familiar with).

What really annoyed me, is that the title states that there is a Student Package included. The only thing included is a piece of paper with a code to an internet site. However, the internet site needs to be activated by someone with the textbook and the Teacher Package, which costs extra money. I am taking this course in a community college and my professor ordered her Teachers textbook with the work book, audio tapes, and DVD clips and no internet site access code. She can't get that code as a teacher unless she orders another version of the textbook that comes with the code. So, she can't activate the internet site, thus, I can't enter the site myself.

Before buying this product make sure you need the "Student package" and not just the textbook, because otherwise you are paying extra for stuff you can't use.
on December 19, 2012
Buy this only if it is required for your course (as it was for mine). The online portion is restricted until a qualified instructor releases the materials to you. The online portion also expires after two years at which point you have to re-purchase that.

The books itself is fair. It has a lot of vocab and drawings to illustrate concepts. It's easy to follow and use. It would be a horrible pairing without a course as it has no way to validate your work without the instructor version of the book.

Taking a course that requires it? Great purchase.

Learning spanish on your own, no bueno!
on February 16, 2012
Upon receiving this item I realized that it was not in fact what I had ordered. It was missing the online and looseleaf package. I had to sell this back to my school bookstore and ended up losing a bunch of money.
on September 24, 2012
Great book. The package does contain an online code, which was a relief for me. Used the book for Beginning Spanish I and II at Foothill College, both the paper edition and the online workbook were very good.
on January 28, 2012
4 Stars because the exercises are decent, the end of chapter vocabulary is well organized, and the verbs charts are convenient, but the online portion is a little disorganized. There's no easy way to show what exactly the teacher has assigned when going through the chapters, unlike many other online systems where you ONLY see what problems the professor has assigned.

The "Customized For Stony Brook" edition is one of the greatest ripoffs ever, which is difficult given the SBU Bookstore's record.

I asked my first SPN111 Professor and the TA if I could purchase the non-SBU version because it was $60 cheaper than the ripoff that is the SUNY Stony Brook Bookstore. My professor had no idea and said I should purchase from SBU. The package is nearly $100 cheaper.

As far as I can tell all they did was rearrange some pages to align better with the basic courses SPN111 and SPN112 at SUNY Stony Brook.

The thing is, they DID NOT REPRINT the pages they moved in where they belong. So roundabout Chapter 6, the page numbers go something like 240, 265, 266, 267, 2 blank pages, 1 unnumbered page, then 241. When you GET to Chapter 7, the pages go 264, 268. You have to remember WHERE they hid the rest of your chapter review to get to it. Also, because one of the end-pages are half a page unlike the normal versions, you have to flip between these discombobulated chapters to complete the content.
on August 29, 2013
This text book doesn't even start off with ABC's or any translation from English to Spanish. It starts off from Spanish and runs from there. Good luck to anyone who doesn't know how to one bit of Spanish.
on July 7, 2011
I prefer a bound book over loose leaf but the whole package was required by my spanish 2 class...if u can avoid loose leave in my opinion because its easier to damage the pages making it harder to sell back.
on January 11, 2013
the pages of the book were well packaged with no sign of ware or damage. however it arrived as a loof leaf whicch surprised me because i did not order it as such and there was no description of it being loose leafed, had i known during my decision process, i would not have ordered it
on March 17, 2014
Excellent book. Well explained, good graph and images. It is a voyage into the Spanish world. I love it very much.