Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 17, 2014
Just to clarify, this is a 3 disc set. The first disc is a bluray containing both movies. The second and third discs are DVD, each containing one of the two movies. Thought this might help somebody if the DVD versions come in handy for playing somewhere else, like in the car.
on January 31, 2014
This review originally appeared on MiceChat

I’ve always loved the Muppets. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve watched them, be it on TV for Muppet Show re-runs or in the theaters for their latest round of movies.

There is a certain divide, though, between the films. They were original stories at first, taking the Muppets on great adventures with them as the focal point. But then, the focus shifted, and they started adapting great literary works, and were pushed to secondary roles, with humans in the lead.

This blu-ray combines two films, one from each of those eras, and is quite a strange pairing. However, in my mind, The Great Muppet Caper And Muppet Treasure Island: Of Pirates & Pigs 2-Movie Collection [Blu-ray] works.

Starting with the earlier of the two films, The Great Muppet Caper was always one of, if not my absolute, favorite of the original Muppet films. I had a VHS of it as a kid that I wore out. For those of you who have never seen it before, Kermit and Fozzie play twin brothers, which is one of the movie’s running jokes, who also happen to be reporters. Gonzo is their photographer who comes along for the ride. While on assignment in London investigating the jewel heist of Lady Holiday, Kermit runs into Miss Piggy, who tricks him into thinking that SHE is Lady Holiday. Naturally, Muppet hilarity ensues. The film may not be one of the greatest stories ever told, but it is fantastic. It’s also the ONLY Muppet film that Jim Henson himself directed. The musical numbers are also pretty great.

The film’s transfer to blu-ray is absolutely stunning…so much so that I was kind of surprised by how good it looked. It even sounds fantastic! Not bad for a film that old, I have to say.

Muppet Treasure Island was always my favorite of the literary adaptations. It is, of course, a re-telling of Treasure Island. Tim Curry really steals the show as Long John Silver, even if that does mean the Muppets take backseat roles. I have not seen it in quite a few years, but I wasn’t surprised to find myself singing along whenever the music came on. Though, admittedly, the music here isn’t as great as Caper, but it is pretty catchy. I mean, how can you not crack a smile and sing along to Cabin Fever?!

Being released 15 years after Caper, Muppet Treasure Island does look a bit better on blu-ray, but both films are stunning, none the less.

The only downside to this release is that there are no new special features to write home about. Included on the disc are the original, DVD extras from Muppet Treasure Island: an audio commentary, a behind the scenes documentary, and a music video. There are a few Frog-E-Oke” tracks to accompany both films, but that’s it. It’s disappointing to not see anything new for either film.

However, with this release, we now have all of the Muppet films available on blu-ray, and for that I am thankful. While it would have been great to have individual releases with a lot of features, I’ll take what I can get when it comes to the Muppets. If you’re a fan of these films, you won’t be disappointed by this release.
on June 7, 2011
I purchased this set because I remembered Muppet Caper as a child and really wanted to get my hands on my long time favourite movie. It was just as i remembered and what made it even better I had Treasure Island to see for the first time. It comes with 2 tins filled with muppet stickers, note pad, pencils and sharpener (i gave these to my 2 kids...they love it.) Great purchase!!
on December 15, 2013
Jim Henson was a creative genius, full of humor and inventive story-telling, delighting children and adults alike. I was as addicted to Sesame Street as my three-year-old son was. Caper was always one of my favorites but I didn't care for Treasure Island, perhaps because Piggy doesn't show up until halfway through the movie and the story is too well-known to be surprising even with Muppets. Therefore, I jumped at the chance to have Caper in blu-ray. The opening credits of Caper told me this was no 'remastered' job - this was the transfer of an old movie by people who had no respect for the love and care that Henson put into everything he did and then had the gall to call it a blu-ray. It may be an improvement but no one sat down and did the kind of job that this film deserved, even if they had to clean it up frame by frame. Being shoved into a two-fer like 'Atlantis' should have clued me in. Treasure Island is a better transfer, probably only because it is a newer movie. And I gained a new respect for it watching Tim Curry have a ball as Long John Silver (see him in CLUE for the totally manic performance he is capable of). It used to be that Disney was known as the best studio for demo-quality blu-ray (Tangled is an example), but the last year they have rushed out second tier movies (Robin Hood, The Sword in the Stone), made their millions, laughed all the way to the bank and suckered collectors like me to pay for second (or third or fourth) rate blu-ray. They should rename themselves the Evil Cartoon Company, formerly known as Disney.
on October 4, 2014
This set is proof positive of two things:

1) Just because it's a Blu-ray disc doesn't mean the content is of great quality, and
2) While Disney typically does a wonderful job of remastering classic movies when releasing them on Blu-ray, they also occassionally don't seem to care about quality whatsoever.

I've always loved the Great Muppet Caper. To me, the original Muppet Movie and it's follow-up, the Great Muppet Caper were the two best Muppet features. So I was looking forward to finally having it on Blu-ray. I admit that I had not previously sen Muppet Treasure Island, but I was looking forward to finally seeing that as well.

First, we watched MTI, having not seen it before. While the video was of OK quality (although certainly nothing spectacular), the audio quality was terrible. It's as if when they remastered it, they didn't realize the vocal tracks were not at the same level/volume. The music and sound effects were fine, but it was difficult to hear the actors' lines whenever there was also music playing and/or sounds effects. The only time we could here the conversations was when there was no music or sound effects. And even then, we had to turn up the volume on our system quite high.

Next, we watched TGMC. While the sound seemed somewhat OK on this one, the video quality was just terrible. It wasn't even DVD quality. It literally looked like we were watching an old VHS tape of the movie.

So if you're looking to "upgrade" your existing copy of both/either of these movies from your existing DVD copies (or even VHS tapes, for that matter), don't bother. It's just not worth it. You're not going to get anything close to Blu-ray HD quality. The only way I can recommend purchasing this set is if you don't have the movies at all, and you're willing to settle for a low-quality copy of them.
on August 27, 2013
Aside from 'Disney's The Muppets' released in 2011, 'Muppet Treasure Island' and 'The Great Muppet Caper' are two of my favorite Muppet movies. I also liked 'The Muppets' Christmas Carol' and 'The Muppet Movie'...'Muppets From Space' is so-so, but for some reason I couldn't seem to get into 'The Muppets Take Manhattan' (I never even seen the full movie).
The way I see it, this combo pack was released so they could have all the prior theatrical Muppet movies on Blu-ray format, before 'Disney's The Muppets Most Wanted' is released in 2014. For me personally, this double feature is a 'dream team' since I loved both movies and the price is 'affordable' for my budget...I just might have to consider the Blu-ray versions of the other four Muppet film I don't have on Blu-ray, since I have 'Disney's The Muppets' on Blu-ray combo pack and all the other Muppet films on DVD. For some reason, if I like something I tend to (as I call it) 'Upgrade' if I can to the next home media format they have available (I've debated on 'upgrading' 'The Muppets' Christmas Carol' and 'Muppet From Space' for awhile now). However I need to take baby steps, but Muppets' Most Wanted is just around the bend, so I gotta start thinking really hard.
on February 2, 2014
So, the first time I went to watch the Blue-Ray for Muppet Treasure Island, the speach track didn't work, but I guess that was something wrong with my PS3 or receiver, because when I went back to double check before writing this review, it worked fine.

The movies, of course, are great.
on March 25, 2014
When I saw that The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island were being released together as a set I was ecstatic. These are my absolute 2 favorite Muppet movies. I was disappointed that there would be no digital copy with them, but having them on Blu-ray was going to be worth it...I thought. My favorite movie is The Great Muppet Caper. When I began to watch the opening credits, I became worried. The clarity that Disney has brought to its previous releases has been astounding. Looking at The Jungle Book or Snow White has been wonderful because of the care they took into restoring and cleaning the picture. I was severely disappointed through the entire movie. There were times that the picture was not bad, but overall it was not great. I was a little more satisfied when I watched Muppet Treasure Island, but to me it only seemed to be acceptable because the movie is a little more recent. I know that Disney was trying to roll out the full catalog of Muppet movies that they own on Blu-ray as quickly as they could. I would have been willing to wait a few more months of individually released disc in order to get a great presentation. If you don't own the movies currently, you can't go wrong getting both of them at once. However, if you already own them on DVD, you might just consider waiting until Disney decides to release them in another few years "fully restored".
on February 1, 2014
Bought for my grandkids to enjoy... they love the muppets so I'm sure they'll have a blast with both of these movies.
on March 8, 2014
Great Muppet Caper was one of MY favorites as a kid... now my kids love it too! I'm so happy with it!