5.0 out of 5 stars Best Of Class
Published on September 15, 2007 by Wallace C. Allison

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the book that explains how to use this book?
I have read up to Page 133 when I decided to start this review

I think this is a great book to get your head around working with SQL Server Data using VB.NET 2010 BECAUSE I couldn't really find any other viable options on Amazon.

I am only up to page 133, but felt that it was important to give some feedback to others considering this book...
Published on February 12, 2012 by glenn garson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Of Class, September 15, 2007
Learning, teaching, or referring to it under pressure, this is a best-of-class book you want on your shelf. Combined with Murach's SQL Server 2005 title there's little you won't know how to do with db programming in Visual Studio. And, you'll have code samples for all of it--not just a high-level description. These 2 books, combined and used in unison, get my vote as something every visual studio programmer should have and hold. Some of my other faves are discussed on the ITSBITS website if you're ever interested.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the book that explains how to use this book?, February 12, 2012
glenn garson (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murach's ADO.NET 4 Database Programming with VB 2010 (Paperback)
I have read up to Page 133 when I decided to start this review

Yes, it gives a an overview of 2-tier and 3-tier applications, in addition it has some great incites into how to modify the auto-generated code from the wizards.

The reason I gave it only 2 stars was that they forgot to include the other book with it when they sent me this book.

You know the book that explains:

1] That when you get all the way up to Chapter 3 and you realize they still haven't told you that you have to go to page 691 to find the instructions for setting up the exercises. Then when you start the first example they don't tell you what type of VB.NET project they are using for their examples. They do mention their VB.NET book, but that still would not tell you what or how they set up the examples.

2] That you have to go to page 696 to find out about setting up the SQL database.

Yeah, yeah, I know you can figure that out, but several times in every chapter I had to stop and figure out something that wasted my time, when all they had to do was include a few sentences to let you know what they were doing. Over and over again I found them referring to something that had not been previously mentioned or explained. Each time I thought I had missed something, then went back and re-read everything previous to the sentence in question, only to find out that they had never explained or mentioned it.

A lot of book publishers have used the concept of having someone unfamiliar with the book read it to look for things like that. It's a weird idea.

I finally decided to write this review on Page 133 when I realized that they were going on about the 'Line Items Form" and they never explained how they got it to work. So I went back again and reread the previous chapter and found that they had mentioned a "CellContentClick" event on Page 127, and from there I began to figure out what they had done using the solutions they provided.

I'm sorry, that is a very important technique, i.e. setting up a sub-subform from a Header-Detail page. It should have been brought to the reader's attention and explained better. Now, they may go ahead and explain it in one or two chapters, but that is my point:

WHERE IS THE BOOK THAT EXPLAINS HOW TO USE THIS BOOK?

Well, I am now up to P. 217, and I have some more issues with this book:

a] Chapter 6, page 199 states "In this chapter, you'll learn how to use connections, commands and data readers for building three layer applications".

That is INCORRECT!

It should state that "You will be exposed to Disparate, disconnected pieces of information about connections, commands and data readers. Then an inconsistent strategy for implementing those features will be illustrated, but not explained."

I now realize that the reviewers who recommended this book probably already were well exposed to the topic of implementing 3-layer applications, b/c it is certainly not explained well in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training and Reference Book!, September 13, 2007
K. Starnes (Battle Ground, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a clear and concise book using the "paired pages" format. How-to on the left page and examples on the right. This style contributes to the effectivness of the learning process. This book contains a lot of information - 764 pages. The section on Three-layer Windows Forms applications contains a complete payable entry application complete with code.

As a professional developer, I need information that is accurate and easy to understand. This book qualifies on both counts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hot Mess of Confusion!, June 5, 2011
This book is a stinker. You can tell the two authors didn't talk to each other. One author wrote a summary of the basic info on the left page and the author on the right page just did a summary of the topic in bullet points. No real explanation or examples you can type in yourself. The authors do a huge dump of code at the end of the chapter with "Since you've already seen most of this code....,You should understand it" at every end of each chapter. They explain broad concepts and expect you to magically be able to dissect 3+ pages of code with no explanation.

The exercises at the end of the chapters seem to be added a later date. Mostly composed of telling you to go to specific sections like 3-12 then 3-11. No page numbers so you have to hunt for the pages. It is a mess to even try to follow the logic with such broad conceptional explanations relating to the code snippets. You don't even get an exercise until the end of chapter 3 and they have already covered all the SQL functions like SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE without any exercises.

Stay away from this book. It isn't even good for a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murach's ADO.NET 3.5, LINQ, and the Entity Framework with VB 2008, June 11, 2009
As with all of the other Murach books that I've read, this book has a good layout and was easy to read and understand. The first chapter of the book briefly covers the fundamentals of database programming. It then gives a brief introduction to ADO.NET 3.5 followed by several critical chapters on working with the ADO.NET components such as connections, commands, stored procedures, parameters, data sources, data sets, data readers, data tables, transactions, and object data sources. It gives detailed explanations and examples of how to use each of these components and then follows up with a very detailed chapter devoted solely to building a sample application.

The book then proceeds to give a brief introduction to LINQ, followed by chapters on working with LINQ components, with 2 chapters devoted to LINQ to SQL technology.

The last several chapters of the book cover The Entity Framework including creating an Entity Data Model, LINQ to Entities, the Entity SQL language, and the use of Entity Data Source Controls in web based applications.

Although, it would have been nice for the book to include some additional sample applications for the LINQ and Entity Framework technologies, I would still recommend it to anyone in need of a good solid reference for how to use these new technologies.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice to get you started!, June 6, 2009
Well the title says it all, doesn't it? When I first picked up the Murach book "ADO.NET 3.5 Linq and the Entity Framework with VB 2008" by Anne Boehm, I was a little overwhelmed by the thought of investing time in another 700+ pages of technical jargon and technologies that I couldn't apply to my daily work. However, I'm glad I got past the cover and dug into it a little deeper.

I read the 2009 updated version of this book that is divided into five major sections with several chapters under each section. These sections cover the latest Microsoft ADO data centric technologies that all .Net developers should know about, understand and be able to apply to their development projects.

The sections are as follows:
Section 1: An Introduction to ADO Programming
Section 2: How to use data sources and datasets for Rapid Application Development
Section 3: Three-Layer Windows Forms Applications
Section 4: How to use LINQ (Language INtegrated Query)
Section 5: How to use the Entity Framework

FYI, there are two versions of this book for both VB and C# programmers. I appreciate this because I want to learn both languages and this makes it easy to compare and contrast the two languages.

What I really like about this book is the practical approach; the author introduces you to a subject by giving you an overview of the technology and then teaches you by example by answering a series of "How to ..." questions and answers. Included with the screenshots and code examples are a summarization of key concepts, terms to learn and occasional exercises. All the code examples and sample databases are downloadable from Murach.com.

I believe this book is intended for the intermediate programmer that wants to learn these new technologies quickly and in a straight forward way. This book gets the job done and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tech Book I ever read, April 3, 2008
K. S. Miller (Paso Robles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am an ancient programmer switching from C to .NET. I have read a lotta books in my time and this is the best presentation and layout of a book I have ever seen. Its easy to read. Content is great. I wish I had found it first in my conversion to .NET. I am so impressed that I am checking out the other Murach titles for something to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point!, October 4, 2007
Gustavo Cavalcanti (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a C# developer but when I started browsing this book I couldn't help it but to continue reading it. It is not only about the VB language itself, but instead, how to use it so solve software problems. It teaches how to better write software, best practices and approaches.
This book doesn't cover all the theory in the world about a topic. Also, not all topics. But it tells you how to use them and what to watch for.
I am glad to have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quickest way t learn Linq, February 15, 2010
I am a professional developer with many years of experience who wanted to learn Linq quickly. I generally prefer very thin books for tutorials (I can't read a 500+ page book cover to cover) but couldn't find one on Linq.

I bought two Linq books and I was disappointed when I discovered that I had to go through huge introductions and background information on language enhancements (240 pages in one case) before getting to hands-on examples. Needless to say I'm too busy for that, so I gave up. Then I discovered this book...

I've been using [...] for several years, so I skipped the first 344 pages and I started with section 4, "How to use LINQ". I learned enough to start using it in a project within 2 hours!!! It is a quick read, with clear examples and highlighted code, and before I knew it, I could write Linq code with the book closed. This book has enough information on Linq that most developers might never need a more advanced one.

If your situation is the same, this book will relieve your frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is none better!, May 31, 2011
If you want an introduction to database programming text and reference book Murach's ADO.NET 4 Database Programming for C# or VB is the book for you. This text takes you from the very beginning of database concepts through transaction processing and stored procedures. In this text you will find tools and techniques the average programmer will need for years to come. Not only will you find the basics in database programming but also the latest in current technologies, the Entity Framework and LINQ. The learner will program a payment entry program which will give them experience with not only ADO.NET programming but also a refresher on object oriented programming.

I have been using Murach's textbook series on C#.NET and VB.NET in my classroom instruction since 2004. I have found them to be the most well thought out textbooks to introduce programming to new students. This new ADO.NET 4 is the latest in the series and is equal to all of their other textbooks. You will not find a better text in the market place.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Murach's ADO.NET 4 Database Programming with VB 2010
Murach's ADO.NET 4 Database Programming with VB 2010 by Anne Boehm (Paperback - March 4, 2011)
$54.50 $38.42
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.