Published on April 15, 2012 by James G. O'neill

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
Published on August 1, 2012 by Steven Plastrik

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new material as well as an execellent review of older versions, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
This is the second book that I have reviewed that was published by Murach. I thought the first one was great and jumped at the chance to review this one. I love the way this publisher organizes their books. Every two pages in their books is designed to have all the detail about a topic on the left hand page and everything that a developer would need for reference material is on the right hand page. This is a fantastic approach that I have not seen before in technical books. It is the best of both worlds, from a learning and reference point of view. If a user wants to read up on a topic or just look up a topic for reference, they go to the same place.

Another reason I chose this book was because of the topics. I am a self taught web developer and never took a class or read a book on HTML. Whenever I needed help on a topic I would just Google it. Everything I have learned about HTML is because I have had a need to know it for whatever project I was working on at the time. I did have a class in CSS but I never really used it after the class. I like to review technical books like these because it forces me to become more proficient on a subject.

I was hoping that this book would fill in the gaps I had in my knowledge of HTML as well as expose me to the new features of version 5. As I suspected, there was a great deal of HTML, both pre version 5 and the new features of version 5 that I was not aware even existed. This book was a gold mine of information on HTML. Even simple topics that I thought I knew pretty well, like tables, were proven to be incomplete by this book.

All I had heard of HTML 5 was that it had some new features to handle video. It has that and a whole lot more. There are loads of new features and this book discusses them all in detail, with outstanding examples. The book also gives links to free downloadable tools to try out the examples. My biggest disappointment was discovering all the new features such as tags for calendars for example, only to find out that most of the browsers don't support them yet. I can only hope that future versions of the browsers will support these new features.

The book went into great detail about CSS, both previous versions and the new features of version 3. Admittedly this is the weakest part of my game. I have always found ways around using CSS. This book now gives me the perfect reference to use them going forward with my projects. The book shows how to use all the aspects of CSS with examples of code and displaying the final look in a browser.

I recommend this book to any web developer like myself who is not an expert in either HTML or CSS and who has questions that need to be answered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my web site's problems and launched our best-yet Mobile site, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
Normally when I read a Murach book, I start at the beginning. This is a personal preference, not a reflection on the way the books are written. With HTML5 and CSS3, I needed to solve some specific issues with our company web site, so I dove directly into the chapters that that addressed my problems. I have to say I am delighted with the results.

Chapter 12. "How to format web pages for printing" was worth the price of the book all by itself for me. It allowed us to unsnarl the mess we had made of the printed version of our web pages because we got our original instructions from online articles and blogs. Next, the section on JavaScript and jQuery gave us a new understanding of the care and feeding of accordion boxes, tabs, and pop up dialogs that has really improved the usability of our web portal, and helped us develop our best-yet Mobile site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entry-level options don't get any better, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
If you have little to no history of web design, then I highly recommend this book. It is best described as a 100-200 level course in web design fundamentals and you'll have all the skills you need to create basic web pages by the end, including html structure, styling with CSS, mobile web design, as well as basic javascript and jquery skills. Definitely get this book if you are a beginner (albeit a somewhat tech-savvy one) or have done a small amount of web design in the past.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
The description of this book says: ...whether you're a web designer, a JavaScript programmer, a server-side programmer, or a rookie... It really should just say "Written for Rookies" There are nuggets of information that are useful to a more advanced reader, unfortunately, the useful stuff is burried in with very beginner stuff. Some of the beginner stuff actually includes things like "How static web pages are processed" and "FTP programs for uploading". What I was looking for was a book on HTML5/CSS3 written for someone with good prior knowledge of how the internet works and web development. This book is not that. If you are a beginner, go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for all levels of learning, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
This is a great book for beginners and pros alike. It offers an easy layout of concepts with adequate examples. It is not overwhelming for a beginner and not static for a professional, the book is a well rounded approach to HTML5 and CSS. Recommended as your first resource in web development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you so MUCH, so FAST and so THOROUGHLY!, April 12, 2014
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
I gave this book a 5-star rating because it covers pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know about creating HTML5 and CSS3 compliant web pages, no matter your skill level.

My specialty is in web design and I've created quite a few sites for clients. Unfortunately, coding was not my strength. Until now, my web sites looked great but have been coded with what seems like "duct-tape and bubble-gum" methods, just for appearances and not for professionalism nor compliance. After reading this book, I've decided to APPLY all the techniques I've learned to my sites. Some of them I have completely torn down and rebuilt using the methods in this book. HTML5 and CSS3 take a LOT out of the old design processes and integrates them into the new HTML5 and CSS3 standards. For example, to make rounded borders, I used to slice up images and put them into tables (yes I know, REALLY poor practice), use gradients within graphics and other old-school methods. This book taught me that these things (and so many OTHERS) are all possible with simple HTML5 and CSS3 coding... What a game changer!

I now design sites, with a thorough background in HTML5 and CSS3. This lets me "think ahead" of how I will code the actual pages before they're even completed. I really wish I picked up this book much earlier; I would've saved SO MUCH TIME and headaches trying to get my sites too look great and up to standards.

The book begins with the very basics and builds on that. It begins with a "crash course" in HTML/CSS then goes into more advanced topics, then into Javascript/jQuery and finally the web design process. Everything to design and develop professional and robust sites is here! Even if you THINK you know everything about this topic, I would highly recommend reading it from cover-to-cover. It has everything a beginniner needs and is excellent for the pros to reference as well.

This book has greatly helped my business and it is worth its weight in gold. I purchased this book along with Murach's PHP and MySQL as well as Javasript and DOM Scripting. I've already begun reading the PHP and MySQL book and have begun to implement what I've learned from there along with this book. I'm starting to realize the true power of web development and that it really has no limits.

Thanks Murach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
This book covers all the aspects of web development- HTML, CSS, Javascript, Hosting, tools. The coverage of HTML5 and CSS3 has been blended into the existing approaches of HTML and CSS, so you may not find HTML5 being discussed in a special section. This way one can get an hold of how the HTML5 enhancements can be used with the existing HTML.

The book takes a more practical approach which is what is expected from web development. The code sample is given on one page and the explanation on another- this might be a bit annoying while reading a ebook as one would have to scroll up and down repeatedly.

If you are familiar with HTML, CSS, Javascript then lot of sections might be redundant, but there are lot other content which can be used as a reference. So the initial sections are good for those starting new with HTML and then few sections in jQuery which can be read on demand basis.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch

5.0 out of 5 stars because I love my Kindle, August 8, 2014
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
I hardly ever buy physical books any more, because I love my Kindle, but the big exception for me is the Murdoch series of big blue books on a variety of programming topics. There's something about the paired-pages approach to explaining complex technical topics that works really well. I've purchased four of these books so far, and will be buying more. This particular book on HTML5 and CSS3 covers all the important concepts on the latest software tools for building web sites. It's not only a great tutorial, but also as a valued reference source that I find myself referring to very often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Div and Span, I hardly knew thee!, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
I am currently trying to get a web design certificate with an online course that utilizes this book (with a Dreamweaver book and class to follow soon) and have found the combination very helpful in my first foray into HTML and CSS. While the book is pretty thick it is pretty easy to digest if you take it one chapter at a time (many pages only have a short paragraph) and do the end of chapter practices and work on a site of your own using what you've learned. I am amazed at what I can understand now when I look at HTML and CSS code compared to how daunting it all seemed starting out as a graphic designer without any web or programming experience. It will be a bonus to learn some JavaScript, jQuery, and mobile design included in this book too. Now I am considering learning some database stuff like PHP/MySQL and at least one programming language like C++/C# (maybe Python or Ruby for games instead) to have a well-rounded knowledge and increase my marketability. Am I missing anything else? The only thing that may cause difficulty is that the screenshots are all grayscale so you can't always tell what has been changed in some of the examples, there are probably ways to view the examples in color on their website but it is a minor annoyance if you're only going by the book. A color version of the book would have costed considerably more I'd imagine so it was easy to overlook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both learning and for reference - Probably the BEST!, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 (Paperback)
Murach's programming books are by far the best programming books for both beginner and novices. I have been doing web development (Front-End) now since the late 90s (1997 to be exact) and wanted to transition my coding skills from XHTML and CSS2 to HTML5 and CSS3. Since we are transitioning to HTML5 and CSS3 at work, the company I work for picked up a "Murach's HTML5 and CSS3" which I started reading a month and a half ago and completed it two weeks ago. I am one who usually does not like big thick programming books and I usually stick to books that are thin but after reading "Murach's HTML5and CSS3", I was very impress on how this book was structured and organized. Unlike other programming books I read, this book was not boring at all and it was well written that it was very easy to follow, understand and most importantly, to LEARN from. The examples used were great and the exercises on the book gives readers hands-on training on each chapters/topic. After reading this book which my work owns, I decided to purchase a copy of my own and also purchased the "Murach's JavaScript and jQuery" to brush up my JavaScript and jQuery skills. I am currently in chapter 5 on the "Murach's JavaScript and jQuery" and I am having the same type of experience as I did when I read the "Murach's HTML5 and CSS3" book. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn web development or for any experienced web developer who wants to sharpen up their skills.

Murach's HTML5 and CSS3
Murach's HTML5 and CSS3 by Anne Boehm (Paperback - December 23, 2011)
$54.50 $34.10