Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Murder at the Academy Awards (R): A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 10, 2014
I loved Joan Rivers' "Murder at the Academy Awards" I laughed so hard that I soaked right through my depends. While reading Joan Rivers book, I imagined her telling it to me as her heroine "Max". What a riot. I read the book from cover-to-cover in a couple of hours. I could not put the darn book down! Next time I read another one of Joan Rivers' books I'll make sure to double-up on the depends.
on October 11, 2014
A fun razzle-dazzle romp through the high pressure world of beauty and celebrity on it's most magical nights. A tale too familiar to us and yet brand new in this telling. Ms. Rivers gives us a hard picture of life behind our side of the TV screen, not pulling punches. But then, when did she? A fun read with a lesson for us all about our assumed realitiea. Enjoy our Joan.
Maxine "Max" Taylor is the go to interviewer on the Red Carpet. The telecasts she and her daughter Drew co-host for Glam-TV are the most watched pre-show for the Oscars. Even so, it is a real coup to get 19-year-old nominee Halsey Hamilton's only interview before the main event. Halsey has just been released from months is the exclusive Wonders rehab facility.

Max is shocked when the scantily clad Halsey arrives on the red carpet, however. Even worse, Halsey mumbles a few barely intelligible sentences and then falls down at Max's feet dead. Everyone assumes that it was an accidental overdose, but the police are circling in on Burke, Drew's ex-fiancee and a man Max has never liked. When Drew pleads with Max to clear Burke, Max agrees, hoping instead to finally find the evidence she needs to show Drew once and for all what the man is really like. Was this more than an accidental overdose? Where will the trail lead Max?

This is an absolute delight of a debut. The name dropping starts on page one and goes through the entire book. The laughs are just as frequent. The story is one of those, only in Hollywood type things, and it works well. It is a little light, but Max's antics kept me entertained from start to finish.

Then there are the characters. Yes, most of them are barely disguised stars (like author Joan Rivers, for example). But they still seem like real people. I could see myself sitting down with Max and enjoying my time with her.

Of course, I came to this book because of the co-author. And if you haven't read Jerrilyn Farmer's Madeline Bean mysteries, you really must. Start with Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean Catering Mysteries #1). You'll have a great time.

This book left me hoping they invent a few more awards ceremonies. I want this series to last a long time.
on June 7, 2012
A fun book with enough mystery and peeks behind the Red Carpet scene to make it enjoyable. A little formulaic but it flows and it's fun to picture "Joanie" shuffling down the Hollywood Scene pursuing clues and herrings of red & blue. Joan Rivers fans will enjoy. Cute.
on July 18, 2014
Okay, I'm done reading books by Joan Rivers except for her sequel to Enter Talking, which was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, her I Hate Everyone Starting With Me" book was bloody awful, but it was just a collection of her jokes and she stopped being funny years ago. Figured I'd give her novel a chance. Done with that, won't need to read any more. I give the story two stars and an extra star for the cute obsessive references of designer goods and the emphasis on looks (oh so Hollywood). Other than that, the story doesn't make much sense and has plot holes big enough for Rivers' thighs to pass through (there you are! A Joan-ism!) I get "Write what you know" but I don't think that means "Make the main character a thinly-veiled caricature of myself and the same with the 'fictional' daughter." C'mon, Joan, show some imagination here. I know her whole career is based on her self-obsession but it's the only thing about her that's worn thin in the last two decades (Ha! Another Joan-ism! Oh I'm so clever I just kill me, I absolutely kill me. [Not].) It's also a bit of a challenge to write a humourous mystery based on what is actually a very unfunny and tragic death of a young star who bears a striking resemblance to Lindsey Lohan dying at the age of nineteen of a drug overdose. An older character would have been more tasteful.

The characters are flat without much development and the writing is sparse. To be fair, that could be the fault of today's publishing industry which wants thinner and thinner books to stock the bookshelves with. So I'll cut Rivers some slack for that. It's just hard to relate to any of the characters, particularly a rehab 'bad girl' for whom we're supposed to feel at least a little bit of sympathy, because it's so hard to understand anyone's motivations.

Joan Rivers used to be funny back in the day and I think she can do better than this, but she needs to evolve her humour. This wasn't a bad start for a novel and her insider view of Hollywood is her biggest strength. Maybe her editors need to be a little more hard-assed with her - or maybe she needs to be more hard-assed with *them*.
on March 18, 2009
I've always like Joan Rivers and her wonderful sense of humor and thought this book would reflect same. Unfortunately, appart from the name-dropping and unecessary fashion information, there was very little substance to the story. I saw a review where Ms. Rivers stated that the book had recieved good reviews. I don't know who was reading it! Don't waste your money - watch her on a tv show instead.
on March 10, 2015
This was a good read, I could imagine Joan as the main character, very funny!
on February 9, 2010
I have to say that I've loved Joan Rivers for my entire life, practically. That being said, I thought this was a fun read and a fun quasi-insider's view into the world of celebrities and their, shall we say, problems and excentricities. I never would have guessed the ending as there were absolutely no clues to it that I noticed. Consequently, it is actually what I'd call a real mystery. Some people may say it is "fluffy", but the celebrity backdrop made it all the more fun and better to read for fans like me. I can't wait for the next in the series.
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2009
I wasn's sure what to except when I picked up this book, but I found it very entertaining. I loved Joan Rivers' insider's look at Hollywood and the red carpet. Her humor throughout the book just added to my enjoyment of the mystery. Give this book a try if you're looking for some light, fun reading for the summer. I am already looking forward to the next book in this series.
on October 7, 2014
If you've watched Joan and Melissa at the Red Carpet and liked what you saw, then you'll like this book. Joan is as funny as ever. I enjoyed the jokes with the humor of Joan going all out for laughs.