4.0 out of 5 stars For NOIR lovers who can't get enough......
Published on May 1, 2001 by Dave Felter

2.0 out of 5 stars Film Noir music fan from Sydney
I was disappointed in this CD. I expected more music and less dialogue. If I wanted to hear the dialogue I would have rented the video. As an example, I've heard an extended version of the music from The Letter but barely 2 mins is played on this CD. A pity as the concept is good.
Published on September 29, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars For NOIR lovers who can't get enough......, May 1, 2001
Dave Felter (New York (Ripper)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murder Is My Beat: Classic Film Noir Themes And Scenes - Motion Picture Soundtrack Collection (Audio CD)
Great score/dialogue disc for the hard-boiled NOIR buff who needs an occasional fix when not enjoying a NOIR film. Throw this on when you're hanging around the house, and enjoy selections from the overwrought scores to a number of classic NOIRs as well as choice samples of hard-boiled dialogue. I had hoped that better NOIRS would be featured,('DETOUR', 'D.O.A.','OUT OF THE PAST') but hey, maybe they'll be a part two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Film Noir music fan from Sydney, September 29, 1999
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it., May 10, 2010
Obviously dialogue isn't to everyone's tastes, but I liked hearing the actor's voices because I could recreate the scene(s) in my head. A pleasant counterpoint to any car journey (even if journey lasts only 20 minutes).

My favorite is 'Dark Passage'. If they'd left in about 45 seconds more of the hilarious yet sober exchange between Vincent Parry (Humphrey Bogart) and Sam the taxi driver (Tom D'Andrea) during taxi ride, the track would be perfect. It already clocks in at a little over 6 minutes. What would another minute hurt? :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea gone bad, June 2, 2003
This would have been a great CD if it were only the music. There is too much dialog, and much of the music is butchered up !!!
What happened here? I can rent/buy the films if I want dialog. This type of CD is back in the 1960s !!! What a waste.
Rhino/Turner: Why not do it again right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice of noir scores with some famous dialogued key scenes from the films, June 18, 2013
Ronald Schwartz (New York, N.Y. United States) - See all my reviews
Having bought this disk at amazon, I really did not know what to expect. To my surprise, for example, there are two Bogart films, THE BIG SLEEP and DARK PASSAGE with the original music and some very good dialogue between Bogart and Bacall, Plus there are other great noirs like ASPHALT JUNGLE, the first track whose dialogued scenes presents some of the best themes between the cops and the hooligans in an excellent heist film. Highly recommended.

Dr. Ronald Schwartz, Manhattan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent disc!, September 22, 1999
By A Customer
Terrific stuff here for noir fans. Great music cues and fun dialogue drops. Wish there were more CDs like this one! Buy and enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars problematic, May 11, 2006
i agree with the other reviewers...the dialogue basically ruins the whole thing. i just wanted to (and STILL want to) hear the unadulterated music themes. couldn't they just have put the dialogue BETWEEN the songs?

1.0 out of 5 stars stupid waste, March 15, 2001
Frederick G. Chase (Laredo, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Whose bright idea was this? In the age of videos, DVDs, VCRs, and cable, you can have the entire movie--who wants to hear the dialogue if what you want is just the music? And to top it off, the dialogue selections are boring. .... What a waste of money!