5.0 out of 5 stars Light and enjoyable!
This is the perfect bedtime book: light and enjoyable! It kept me up nightly a little later than I would have hoped, though, because it was hard to put down! The author's style has a nice flow, and I just bought 2 more of her books.
Published on April 13, 2012 by Tatiana

3.0 out of 5 stars Religious agenda?
Published on May 27, 2012 by Clytie Siddall

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and enjoyable!, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Murder in the Milk Case (The Mayhem in Maryland Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, December 19, 2011
Trish Cunningham doesn't expect to find a dead body in the milk cooler on her routine trip to the grocery store. Nor does she expect to find herself at the top of the suspect list. She has enough going on her life with keeping up with a husband, four children, and a woman who seems set on stealing Trish's man. Danger and humorous mishaps ensue as Trish races the clock to find a killer...before she becomes the next victim.

3.0 out of 5 stars Religious agenda?, May 27, 2012
I'm marking this book down because the constant emotional references to the Bible and praying kept jerking me out of the story. I have no problem with personal spirituality, and I'm a Christian myself, but I'm just not comfortable with pushing one's beliefs onto others in this manner. After all, Jesus waited outside towns for people to come to him: he didn't chase them down and push religion with their relaxation choice.

I note that the ebook blurb does not mention what I found at the end of the book: that this is part of a special "Christian mystery" publishing imprint. Buyer beware, perhaps?

This concealed agenda is a pity, because I enjoyed the story itself, and would have bought the rest of the series otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Read, July 27, 2008
The book is well written, the protagonist had several issues, good motivation to try to solve the mystery, and the villain was a total shock to me. I will definitely read another book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Better Cozies, May 29, 2008
What would you do if you found a dead body in the milkcase at your favorite store? That's what happened to Trish Cunningham. She was just minding her own business, when she discovered the body of Jim Bob Jenkins, the pharmacist who had provoked her into a confrontation in front of half the town. Now he's dead, and Detective Eric Scott keeps hauling her in for questioning. It's evident he believes she's a suspect although, as he points out, he hasn't accused her of anything. Feeling pressured Trish sets out to solve the mystery, disregarding the wishes of her husband, Max. The killer, who doesn't plan on being caught, just might add her name to the list of victims. A fast-paced mystery, written with a wry sense of humor. One of the better cozies I've read. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Lady Is Trouble, April 9, 2013
Kind of crazy story. Guess it's okay. Can't imagine the everyday person doing all she did.
Don't know if I considered her believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says murder can't be fun?, January 17, 2012
So who says murder can't be fun... ok maybe not fun... but certainly not the stuff of old mysteries with white gloved, blue haired, prim and proper mums.

Here our less than perfect heroine stumbles onto gruesome scenes, battles with conservative law enforcement and struggles against her insecurities and her mother's impossible (well for her) standards. All while raising a family, cooking meals, picking up laundry and chasing clues!

As a fan of Ms.Speare's, I have come to expect the unexpected and to go along for the ride with our unconventional, slightly overwhelmed protagonist - while still enjoying every twist and turn and yes... even managing to have a little fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Modest Family Drama Cozy Mystery, April 20, 2013
drkhimxz (Freehold, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
The publisher identifies itself as the purveyor of Christian works. This might attract some readers and repel others when what they want is a mystery story. I've read a fair number of cozy's they have put out by a variety of authors. Some books are preachy, others don't preach but emphasize the religious orientation in such a way as to enmesh the reader in it rather than in the mystery. Others, like this book, for the most part use the religious affiliation in limited fashion as one might make mention of the leading character unfailingly having a cocktail or two before dinner, sleeping in the nude or having her walls covered with paintings by Picasso, Matisse and Braque. These are, after all, only identifying aspects of characters who are interacting in the book; not a major consideration. Obviously, each of us has his own attitude towards these matters which it is wise to use as a yardstick for reading just as one would the fact that there is a good deal of brutality, described in detail.
My own assessment of this book is that the religious element plays a role of minor significance, although it is made clear that the heroine, her family and close friends are all practising Christians. This is so subjective a matter that I don't venture a recommendation one way or the other.
As the title implies, our heroine, who is employed in her husbands business, finds a body in a cooling unit of the local supermarket. There is some reason for the Sheriff to suspect that she has a motive to wish to see him dead. This motivates her to probe the case to see whether she can find a way to clear herself of all possibility of being a suspect. While this is going on, the reader is also being involved in the heroines family problems, particularly her relationship to the husband and her female stepchild from the husband's earlier marriage.
This is not as well organized nor interesting as some of her others, but is sufficiently entertaining to warrant investing the minimal cost to purchase it in return for sharing the burdens of being a suspect, trying to help solve the mystery, and handle a teen-age daughter.
It is one of the better Christian mysteries though, to me, not as good as some others by the author. It serves pretty well for those periods when you need something light which will not keep you up later than you like but still entertain when you have the time to sit down for a read you know will be interrupted.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was a good easy read, January 29, 2014
I really like mysteries that aren't gory with a little PG romance thrown in. This book fits that description but the bible references seemed forced and over done. I think it would be ok here and there like "Thank God I'm ok" but it was over the top and distracting. I do like the characters and wished there was more character development for the supporting characters, which helps with trying to figure out the who didn't. Overall it was light easy going reading, which I like to unwind with. I am considering buying the next book in the series but hope that the bible and God references are toned down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable, April 5, 2013
The book was a little slow. Hard to get into. I think she can do better and would like to see another of hers to compare.