5.0 out of 5 stars Charming as Always
The Tri-County Fair has opened in Lake Eden, and it promises to be a busy week for Hannah. Her cookie shop is providing cookies for the chamber of commerce booth, her two sisters and one niece are in various contests, and Hannah has agreed to step in as the third judge for the baking contest.

It's through the contest that Hannah meets Willa. She seems like a...
Published on March 12, 2007 by Mark Baker

2.0 out of 5 stars Things Are Starting to Stink in Lake Eden!
Published on February 29, 2008 by Catherine

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming as Always, March 12, 2007
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

It's through the contest that Hannah meets Willa. She seems like a bright, engaging woman, but she hints at secrets in her past. The mystery surrounding Willa is only compounded when Hannah finds her dead on the midway just after closing one night. The list of suspects is actually rather long. But who hated Willa enough to kill her?

These books are an equal mix of charm and mystery. We get doses of Hannah's life as well as the crime at hand. There is a good mix of the two, although the mystery does stall ever so slightly around the middle. My bigger complaint was Hannah's bad habit of not sharing info with the police. That seemed more of an issue this time around then in previous books, or maybe I just noticed it more.

It's best to read these books in order because when you do it feels like catching up with old friends who are as delightful as always. And, if you care about what is happening in their lives, you'll enjoy the many sub-plots that run through the book.

The character moments provided some of the best laughs of the book, especially the scenes where Hannah continues to face her two suitors. This is the most unrealistic storyline of the series, but I love watching the love triangle continue to unfold.

As always, there are more recipes as well. This go around, we get 16 of them. I've already tried the title recipe, and it's delicious. The others sound just as promising.

Even though this is a murder mystery, the book is a throw back to small town life and a more innocent time. If that appeals to you, you'll love this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Things Are Starting to Stink in Lake Eden!, February 29, 2008
This review is from: Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen Mystery With Recipes) (Hannah Swensen Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all of the Hannah Swenson mysteries and most have been entertaining and enjoyable, but this one was plodding and uninteresting. In fact, when poor Willa bit the dust, I found I didn't even care! And rather than acting like a 30 year old business woman, experienced in crime solving, in this plodding tome, Hannah is boring, techno-illiterate, and not too smart! (Why would you meet a man whom you considered a suspect in a brutal murder at a deserted fairgrounds late at night and then TELL him you had considered him a suspect???) As far as her relationship with Mike (the Hunk) and Norman (the Reliable One), I'm starting to find the entire love triangle boring and sophomoric! Make a decision, already! You're not 15 years old!

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend, September 14, 2013
I wish I hadn't started this series. My addiction to series mysteries makes me keep reading. Supporting characters are good. Hannah, the main character, has no redeeming qualities. Sigh.

1.0 out of 5 stars Culinary mystery. Cheap lit. Forgettable., August 11, 2012
Plump cookie shop owner drinks coffee and eats sweets nonstop while debating which eligible bachelor battling for her hand she should marry. Gets involved in murder mystery, puts self in danger, obsesses over deep fried candy bars and her forlorn cat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last one, April 8, 2007
I enjoyed Key Lime Murder more than the last installment. Ms. Fluke seemed to be less condescending to her readers' intelligence. And we were spared the precociousness of Tracy. I still was unsatisfied at the very end. The love triangle between Hannah, Norman and Mike has gone on long enough. I think I've just grown tired of Lake Eden and the characters and the style in which they are written. When you find the recipes more interesting than the plot, it is time for me to move on. There are just too many other better written and interesting books for me to read. I would recommend this for die hard fans only.

2.0 out of 5 stars Characters need to grow and change!, September 22, 2008
Chris C. (MA , United States) - See all my reviews
I have read the entire Hannah Swensen series and they seem to be getting worse with each book. I could believe her not having a cell phone because she hates being interrupted by them or doesn't feel she needs one but I can't believe she wouldn't know anything about them. Ms. Fluke has trapped herself into writing characters that never grow or change because her fans liked them in the earlier books. Instead of learning and growing from each case Hannah seems to get stupider! And if she's not going to pick one man or the other then let them both go and end the boring triangle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Dull, August 5, 2007
gnapye (Southern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have enjoyed each of Joanne Fluke's previous Hannah Swensen novels, but this was by and far the worst one I have read yet. It usually takes me about a day to a day and a half to read her books, whereas I spent more than a week and a half plodding through this one.

The plot was slow and I often found myself confused. The author would get ahead of herself, leaving me reading the same sentence several times wondering if I had missed something in the previous paragraph, only to find that the confusing sentence is explained a page or two later. About 125 pages into the book, Willa Sunquist was FINALLY killed-- keep in mind that the book is only 337 pages, which means that it took more than 1/3 of the book to kill someone off! The murder was solved in about 10 pages, leaving me wondering just what happened in all the pages I had read. (I concluded that nothing happened and I had wasted a lot of time reading this book.)

I used to enjoy the murder mysteries of Jill Churchill, until I noticed the decline in quality and my declining interest. One of Churchill's worst books was the one in which her main character discovers the wonders of car alarms and cell phones (I think I reviewed it here on Amazon before). That was the last Churchill book I read, and that's when I turned to Joanne Fluke to entertain me. But now Joanne Fluke has made the same mistake, with Hannah SO unwilling to enter the 21st century, what with not having a computer or a cell phone and yet at the same time stringing along two men.

There was a part in the book where Norman wants to take a photo of Moishe with his cell phone and send it over to someone else's cell phone. All the while, Hannah is confused-- "Are you going to get your camera? Are you going print the picture out and fax it over?" It was just unbelievable! If Hannah is indeed 29 pushing 30, there's no way she could be so dense and confused about modern technology.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn City, March 11, 2007
I have read all of the series, always hoping that someway somehow the author will launch her easy going characters into the current decade. Having the main character go back and forth between two suitors is boring and unrealistic. It needs to be settled already. If you must know the greatest escapades of the Lake Eden clan then do yourself a favor, borrow it from the library. Hopefully, her next book will be a more realistic ode to the state of Minnesota.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going down hill FAST!, December 14, 2008
This is the last of the series I will read. I skipped to the end of the book to see what happened. There was too much talk and not enough action and conclusion. Hannah needs to pick a man before she runs out of fans. There is no way that Mike and Norman will "share" her. Either pick one or the other. I don't think anyone can root for either of them anymore. It is also getting old with the same old plot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hannah Get On With It!, March 19, 2007
S. E. Miller (Blue Springs,MO) - See all my reviews
I've read everyone of the books in this series and look forward to each new one. Ms Fluke has painted herself in a corner. Hannah is a "good girl" so the romance part is limited and the readers have become bored with the Mike or Norman thing! Now what? The mystery was fine for an "American Cozy", the recipies are fun, but get on with Hannah's life. Isn't her biological clock ticking?

Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen Mystery With Recipes) (Hannah Swensen Mysteries) by Joanne Fluke (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01