Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Murder at Thumb Butte (A Steve Dancy Tale Book 3)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 7, 2014
A great western. It's been awhile since I have read a really good western. A few I have read lately have been inaccurate and seem to be emulating the western movies of the 50's. This series of books has been very satisfying and I look forward to more from this author .
on February 25, 2015
This is a wonderful tale of the old west and has some interesting twists involving inventions being developed at that time in history. A super read for anyone interested in the old west or even inventions.
on July 5, 2014
Mr. Best does good work. I've read all of the Steve Dancy westerns to date and he provides fast action, interesting personalities and clever historical context. I particularly enjoy the business and strength of character aspects of the main characters. You will not go wrong in getting his books and I hope there is much more to come.
on December 5, 2011
This novel is what good western writing is all about: Controlled pace; intelligent,carefully constructed, but not overly convoluted, plot; authentic atmospherics; and a genuine feel for the spirit of the classic genre itself. Keeping the rhythm steaming ahead without too much back story is a trick the author pulled off admirably. It hits hard but with no gratuitous violence for violence sake. Just the right balance of unpredictable courtroom drama, creative ingenuity, realism, wild west flavor, gunplay, humor and grit. I write western novels and know how hard it is to balance all of these fundamental aspects of tone, pace, voice, and consistent freshness. Good job. I've read Mr. Best's first two books, and can't wait for his next one.
on April 18, 2013
I read the Shopkeeper first which was so entertaining that I downloaded the other two, Murder at Thumb Butte and Leadville. With my brother's birthday approaching, and he being an avid reader like I am, I ordered the set and he enjoyed them as much as I did. The author is quite gifted in his descriptions of that time period and how he intertwines historical figures into his story. I'll keep an eye out for more.
on February 28, 2015
I started reading the Steve Dancy series with The Shopkeeper. I followed up with Leadville. Now I am into Murder at Thumb Butte which I am enjoying just as much as the first two. I don't think that western readers will be disappointed with James D. Best writings.
on May 24, 2015
Amazon purchase. Outstanding!! Since I can look to the left outside my window & see Thumb Butte, I was really turned on. I was excited to read of places in Arizona that I have visited. I thought the book was a really good western story. It is great to have a author of this caliber. I hope that he will write more of the western novels that take place in Arizona.
on February 28, 2015
Ran across book 4 by chance and after reading it had to have the other three. Couldn't put them down and read them all in a week. Loved them all and sure hope Mr. Best continues the series. I was left wanting more adventures of Steve, Jeff and Captain McCallen.
on May 18, 2015
On one side a group trying to hang one of our hero's the other side trying to clear his name and find out who really killed the victim. Such a fun read, a precocious 15 year old discovering boys, a father that has no clue about her, an easterner who is becoming a person who is comfortable in the West, an old crusty mine owner accused of murdering a man who stole from him when they were in New York and characters everyone has heard of from the Wild West. Was very fun trying to figure out who done it.
on March 10, 2015
This isn't my favorite of the Steve Dancy tales, but it was an enjoyable reading experience. I like Best's writing style. It's very clean and sparing while conveying complex characters and events. I always pick up any new book by Best, and I will continue to do so. This was pretty good.