5.0 out of 5 stars top gun
This is the third in a series of Steve Dancy novels and I look forward to many more. James Best is becomming one of the finest western writers in history. Do yourself a big favor and start with The Shopkeeper and read - enjoy all three in order.
Published on September 13, 2011 by Robert J. Beard

3.0 out of 5 stars The third book in the series by James Best
The characters were developed well and I enjoyed the overall storyline. However, because the storyline centered mainly around a trial, there was a little less action then I prefer in a western.
Published 8 months ago by John Hemingway

4.0 out of 5 stars Transported back to the Old West, September 6, 2012
I really enjoyed this book, as well as the previous ones in this series! Best did a great job of putting you into the time period through the characters and rich descriptions of the landscapes and scenery. If you enjoy U.S. historical fiction, this is a great choice. I loved the introduction of well-known people from that era (Doc Holliday, Virgil Earp) and how they were integrated into the story lines of the other characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, great western novels are back, November 7, 2014
A great western. It's been awhile since I have read a really good western. A few I have read lately have been inaccurate and seem to be emulating the western movies of the 50's. This series of books has been very satisfying and I look forward to more from this author .

5.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again!, August 16, 2014
Here's another magnificent author of western fiction. Read them all, in sequence is best.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is really great. I love the genre and the writing works ..., September 20, 2014
This series is really great. I love the genre and the writing works very well for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 12, 2014
Great characters and always a twist - easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book by James Best, May 12, 2014
Tom Clifton (SAINT LOUIS, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This is the second book in the Steve Dancy series and I love it for being a most "un-western" western. Not your typical cowboy shoot-em-up. There are enough plot reversals and surprises to pretty much keep you guessing, and I have recommended this book to my Mother and Sisters. Try it, you will like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Investigative western, April 30, 2014
This was another good read by this author however I would have hoped for more gunplay in a western instead of so much investigation .

3.0 out of 5 stars The third book in the series by James Best, March 27, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Western, September 17, 2013
Solid stories and characters in this 3 book western series. I cannot put it down once I start. Would recommend if you want to get into the West.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 4, 2013
Great read. It will keep you wondering what will happen next. It also has a good ending. Need to read if you have time.

Murder at Thumb Butte (Steve Dacy Tale)
Murder at Thumb Butte (Steve Dacy Tale) by James D. Best (Paperback - September 15, 2011)
$18.95 $15.88