5.0 out of 5 stars How Have I MIssed this Series So Far?
Published on July 17, 2011 by NJ Cat

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed
Published on June 2, 2011 by Loki's Girl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How Have I MIssed this Series So Far?, July 17, 2011
NJ Cat (North East) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murder Under Cover: A Bibliophile Mystery (Mass Market Paperback)
I am grateful I finally picked up the first Carlisle book this spring. I've read them all now, and wait eagerly for the next one, due out in February. The style is enjoyable, in that there is a story line that is a solid mystery in all the books so far, plus an added building of several relationships. What I enjoy is a series with the protagonist being consistent, bringing in other friends and characters, but staying with that initial person, to see them grow and follow them through as fascinating times as Brooklyn Wainwright. She is a terrific new character on the horizon - I hope to read about her for many years to come. Hint: Don't let the "bookbinder" theme scare you away, these are exciting, up to date, and hot books with excellent mysteries to solve.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOK 4 OF BIBLIOPHILE MYSTERIES, May 26, 2011
Really liked this book - lots of intrigue and action. Derek is living with Brooklyn. One night Robin appears at Brooklyn's flat and is covered in blood. It appears, that Robin's new acquaintance Alex has been shot to death while in bed with Robin. Derek and Brooklyn set out in San Francisco to find the killer - they keep coming upon more dead bodies. Robin had returned from India with a Kama Sutra for Brooklyn to restore and appaise. This book figures into the mystery as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder Under Cover, October 17, 2013
I seem to be reading this series in reverse order since the last book I reviewed is the one that comes after this one. However, it didn't really spoil anything for me, and I liked this one better. "Murder Under Cover" by Kate Carlisle finds Brooklyn Wainwright in possession of an antique copy of the "Kama Sutra" and it is an exquisite copy, decorated with gems and gold. Brooklyn must restore this book to its former beauty for the owner.

When the author puts Brooklyn in her bookbinding workroom, Brooklyn is very professional and knowledgeable about what she does and loves best. She takes extreme care and caution with the books that are entrusted to her care. It's when she is with boyfriend, Derek Stone, British security man, that she falls into a puddle of mush. It's as if she can't believe that he could possibly be her boyfriend, much less human. Brooklyn is an adult in her professional life, but with Derek she seems about thirteen.

Despite being lovestruck, Brooklyn is in danger in this fourth addition to the Bibliophile Mystery Series and her friend, Robin, nearly is killed in her own apartment which is the scene of a grisly murder. Brooklyn's parents are in this book and her mother is very funny with her so-called spells and made up songs and her sage-burning rituals that she does to try to help Robin.

All in all, it's a cute story and it is enjoyable to learn how a book is taken apart piece by piece, repaired and put back together again. Brooklyn and Derek and other family members have their hands full with murders and attempted murders in this mystery that I enjoyed.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, June 2, 2011
I wish I could give more stars for this book, but I can't. It's a shame too because I really like this series. The start of this book should have been warning enough. Brooklyn answers the door, and her best friend Robin takes one look at her and screams that she knows that she's had sex. Forgive me for what I'm about to say, but... OMFG...Really??? I don't think so. This was not the way for the writer to grab my attention.

This book feels more like a romance than a mystery. While there is a murder to solve, there is a definite shift to a more romance-like vibe. It's hard to explain without getting into it too much, so I won't. Let's just say I'm getting a "cutesy" vibe off this book, and I don't tend to like reading cutesy stories.

Furthermore, the main protagonist, Brooklyn, is becoming a Mary Sue. She can do no wrong, or at least that's the vibe I got from reading it. In this book, her best friend is a murder suspect. Okay, I get that Brooklyn is upset at this. Yes, I understand that Brooklyn will want to get hip deep into this investigation. I'm alright with that. I can understand that. What I don't like is this "princess" attitude coming from her. It can clearly be witnessed when she's talking to the police (although there are other instances of it in the book). Nobody calls her on this? Ok... so if Brooklyn has a problem, then obviously the police must be at fault. No, Brooklyn isn't out of line; it's them. Her attitude just seemed so out of character that I started to become disgusted with this book, so it was very hard for me to keep reading to the end. But I did.

Brooklyn is a smart and spunky woman. She gets into trouble but will usually do the smart thing, unlike other women detectives that I have read who make insanely stupid decisions but somehow manage to best the bad guy. That's one of the big reasons why I like this series. I wish I had never read this book. I was that disappointed. I just hope the author takes a look at books 1-3 and gets that vibe back because if this is the direction the series is going to go, then I'm done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really loved this one!!!, May 13, 2011
Brooklyn Wainwright loves her job rebinding old books, sometimes finding hidden treasure, sometimes the treasure is just the joy of rescuing a book that is centuries old.

When she is given an ancient copy of the Kama Sutra written in French and covered in jewels to restore and appraise from her friend Robin, she is not only excited about restoring the book but the research may also add a little spark to her love life.

When Robin wakes up with a man she just met murdered in her bed, she becomes the prime suspect. Then both the friends lives are turned upside down as they try to uncover why apartments are being ransacked, other people are dying, and Robin's mother, who lives in India, and gave Robin the Kama Sutra book to give to Brooklyn, shows up for an unexpected visit.

This book was so good, one twist and turn after another, plus quite an education about binding books and the Kama Sutra. I liked the first 3 books but I loved this one. Brooklyn evolves more and more with each installment in this series and I really liked her in this one. Sometimes it takes time to get to know a character and that is the case with this series. She has become more realistic to me over the series and my interest in rare books has grown too. Plus the real international mystery drew me right into this story. I was very happy to read and review this book. Wonderful story, not to be missed.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from The Obsidian Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1.0 out of 5 stars This Was My First and last Bibliophile Mystery, June 22, 2011
Like all those who panned this book, it was about as mysterious as grass growing. I figured out the source and culprits of this lame dime novel immediately upon their introduction.You have to question why it took so long (following the deaths of three people) for the female protagonist's lover, the supposed British security expert Derek Stone, to piece together the obvious clues that screamed to be discovered. The characters were about as interesting as supernumeraries in a junior high school production.They were all head cases, last remnants of the Woodstock and the flower children days. The best part of this "romance" fiction is the ending where one can find some informative information on book binding and its accompanying nomenclature. As one reviewer so succinctly summarized in one word, "Yuck". There are better works of this genre to be found. I don't think that I personally will need to search too far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fourth!, April 1, 2013
This is the fourth book in the Bibliophile Mystery series by Kate Carlisle. The book opens on Robin Tully, Brooklyn's best friend returning from 3 weeks on tour of India. Robin's travel company specializes in sacred and mystical destinations all over the world. She brings with her a book that her mother, who she visited while in India, had asked her to give to Brooklyn to have refurbished and appraised for a friend. The friend, and older, wealthy Indian man that Robin says is probably in love with her mother included a letter authorizing Brooklyn to do what is necessary to increase the value of the book. The book turns out to be an eighteenth century copy of the Kama Sutra, with an elaborately decorated peacock on the cover and embellished with tiny rubies, emeralds and diamonds. Brooklyn is beside herself with joy of getting to take this book apart and clean it up.

Unfortunately, things don't stay all happiness and joy. The very next night, Derek and Brooklyn are awakened to someone banging on the front door of the apartment complex and screaming. Turns out to be Robin, covered in blood and in shock. Apparently Robin's date that night stayed over and Robin woke up to find that he had been shot twice in her bed, while she was asleep right next to him. So, although Brooklyn didn't find a dead body this time and she isn't a suspect, she is once again hip deep in a crime scene. This time to protect her friend Robin.

In this book, we really get to know Robin and her background. Commander Derek Stone is living with Brooklyn and has opened a branch of his company in San Francisco. Plus the usual cast of wonderful characters are back, including Brooklyn's parents, their mystical advisor Avatar Robson, aka Guru Bob, Brooklyn's neighbor's Suzie, Vinnie, Jeremy & Sergio, and the shadowy Gabriel. A new addition is the Chung Family that has moved in to the building. The little boy Tyler is too cute for words and steals the spotlight in his scenes.

This was a wonderful addition to the series and I am writing quickly to get this review done so that I can go on to the next book in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cozy Mystery Fun!, December 27, 2011
This was my first cozy mystery read. A friend is addicted to them, and adores Kate Carlisle, so Murder Under Cover made it home with me from RWA conference this year. I'd been led to beleive that cozy mysteries were relatively blood-free and sex was only alluded too - but this story had blood splatters on the wall and an ancient edition of the Kama Sutra to inspire our hero and heroine... I'm not complaining though. And, truly, what led to the blood splatters and the specifics of the Kama Sutra research were, indeed, not on the page. Overall, a fast-paced, fun read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder Undercover is a winner, May 15, 2011
Murder Under Cover
By: Kate Carlisle
Publisher: Obsidian Mystery
Copyright - May 2011

Brooklyn's best friend (and almost sister) is home from her trip to India and has a gift for her. It's an exquisite copy of the Kama Sutra which Robin brought home for her to appraise and restore. Thus begins Brooklyn's next adventure as Robin gets into trouble as deep as the Mariana Trench. Robin wakes up next to the dead and bloody body of her latest boyfriend and to make her feel even worse, her apartment has been totally ransacked. What's a girl to do?

Brooklyn is ready and willing to do whatever she can to help clear Robin, and thankfully her boyfriend, the British security expert Eric Stone is nearby ready and able to lend his assistance to the matter. You'll meet strange Ukrainians and Russians, all looking for something that Brooklyn has no idea about. Her apartment also gets searched and people near to her get hurt. It's taking on International proportions.

This is the fourth book in Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery series. She manages once again to come up with interesting and plots, with twists and turns, lots of adventure, a bit of comedy, and more than a bit or romance tossed in for spiciness. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars for its story, cast, location and all the good stuff in the middle that keeps us up at night till we finish reading it.

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author in hopes that I would review it.

Kate Carlisle can be found at KateCarlisle.com and Facebook.com/KateCarlisleBooks

4.0 out of 5 stars and loved it. Brooklyn and Derek are a great couple, July 13, 2014
Listened to this online, and loved it. Brooklyn and Derek are a great couple, and all the supporting characters are so real and believable. I absolutely LOVE her mother's personality, and look forward to reading/listening to more of this series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Murder Under Cover: A Bibliophile Mystery
Murder Under Cover: A Bibliophile Mystery by Kate Carlisle (Mass Market Paperback - May 3, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19