SIX MASTERPIECES OF SILENT CINEMA FROM THE DIRECTOR OF SUNRISE
THIS COLLECTION INCLUDES THE FILMS:
NOSFERATU (NEWLY RESTORED EDITION)
1922 GERMAN 94 MINUTES COLOR TINTED
NOSFERATU is triumphantly reborn in this breathtaking new restoration by the F.W. Murnau Foundation.
- Hans Erdmann s original 1922 score, available in 5.1 Stereo Surround or 2.0 Stereo
- The Language of Shadows: The Early Years and Nosferatu; a 52-minute documentary
- Nosferatu: An Historic Film Meets Digital Restoration; a 3-minute documentary
- Lengthy excerpts from other films by F.W. Murnau: Journey Into the Night (1920), Phantom (1922), Tabu (1931) and 5 other Murnau Films
- Photo Gallery
- Scene Comparison
- With newly-translated English intertitles
FAUST (NEWLY RESTORED EDITION)
1926 GERMANY 116 MINUTES B&W
Mobilizing the full resources of the Ufa Studios, F.W. Murnau orchestrated a colossal adaptation of Goethe s FAUST that ranks alongside Fritz Lang s Metropolis as the greatest achievement of the German silent cinema. Beautiful new restoration by the F.W. Murnau Foundation.
- Presented with the original German intertitles (with optional English subtitles)
- The Language of Shadows: Faust, a 53-minute documentary on the making of Murnau s film
- New musical score by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra in 5.1 Stereo Surround or 2.0 Stereo
- The lost screen test footage of Ernst Lubitsch s abandoned 1923 production Marguerite and Faust.
- Image Gallery
- Essay by film historian Jan Christopher Horak
THE LAST LAUGH (NEWLY RESTORED EDITION)
1924 GERMANY 90 MINUTES B&W
One of the crowning achievements of the German Expressionism movement.
- New recording of the original score by Giuseppe Becce, available in 5.1 Stereo Surround or 2.0 Stereo
- The Making of THE LAST LAUGH, a 40-minute documentary
- Original German title sequences
- Image Gallery
TARTUFFE (RESTORED AUTHORIZED EDITION)
1925 GERMANY 63 MINUTES COLOR TINTED
- THE WAY TO MURNAU, A 35-minute documentary on the life and career of F.W. MURNAU
- Booklet essay by film scholar Jan Christopher Horak
THE HAUNTED CASTLE (RESTORED AUTHORIZED EDITION)
1921 GERMAN 81 MINUTES COLOR TINTED
Before plumbing the depths of horror and despair with such films as Faust and The Last Laugh, Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau tested the waters with this moody drama of a storm-bound manor and the grim mystery that lurks within.
- Gallery of set design paintings by Robert Herlth
- Excerpts of Rudolf Stratz s novel
THE FINANCES OF THE GRAND DUKE (RESTORED AUTHORIZED EDITION)
1924 GERMANY 77 MINUTES COLOR TINTED
In one of the most eclectic films of the German silent era, visual stylist F.W. Murnau (Faust, Sunrise) broke away from the dark, foreboding dramas for which he was known to explore the realm of light comedy.
- Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Kalat