Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Murray 1695537 21-Inch 190cc 4-Cycle OHV Briggs & Stratton Snow Series Gas Powered Single Stage Snow Thrower
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 7, 2010
Absolutely Recommended! Ordered on Thursday and paid the extra cost of $3.XX for next day delivery because we had a huge snow storm in the forecast. The Snowblower and the storm arrived the next day and the snow blower was really needed. It was very easy to unpack--open carton, remove cardboard and plastic bag, extend handle, add oil (came with it) and gas (remember to buy ahead of time). It started the first pull of the crank and worked hard for two days! It used four tanks of gas doing my neighbor's driveway and mine plus helping many other neighbors dig out from over 34 inches of snow and the build up caused by the snow plows that came through. It's only rated for 4-6 inches but by knocking down the snow with a shovel and working at it with the blower we got thru a build-up of snow that exceede 3 feet in spots (over the top of the engine on the snowblower). Really glad we ordered.

It came on time and worked perfectly--did not have to shovel and lift!
1313 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2010
Works as described. Only used it once so far, but it chewed through a 3 foot snow drift on our sidewalk with no damage...I call that worthy.
on February 8, 2010
With epic snowfalls coming to the DC area, I decided to buy a snowblower. This thing chewed through snow piled at least a foot high with ease. It's easy to put together, it operates easily, and works incredibly well. Like another reviewer, we bought it and had it shipped overnight for dirt cheap as Prime members. It came super fast! It's a powerful machine, but still moveable - we were able to put it in the back of the pickup and went to dig out some friends and family. A great purchase - and I didn't have to fight at a hardware store to wrestle something off of a truck!
on January 10, 2011
I was a little nervous reading the mixed reviews and guess I got lucky. We had a 10-12 inch snowfall here today so I unboxed it and was surprised that it came fully assembled. All I had to do was add the oil and gas and tighten down the support knobs for the handles. Checked all the cables and moving parts and everything was tight and functional. Only goof up (mine) was pumping the primer button 10 times as I was used to the B&S Quantum on my mower. After some choking and smoking I looked at the manual and saw you should only pump twice. Got it running and cleared my sidewalks and driveway and three of my neighbors drives including a wheelchair ramp for a disabled neighbor. Stalled once when it hit a kids rubber ball buried in the snow but started right back up with no choke or prime. Checked it out when I got back to the garage and everything was still tight and working good. Impellers looked great and had good clearance all the way around. Based on the initial run, I would call this a good unit and great little snowblower.
on September 17, 2011
Well you're probably wondering about the title for the review..................Usually I heed a warning from reviews but on this snowblower/thrower they were mixed 60/40 so at the price I got it for I figured I'd take the chance. WWWWWRRRROOOOONNNNGGGG !!! It's a good thing my girlfriend got me a really nice Dremel for my birthday because I needed it for this Murray. Like some of the other reviewers on here I got a machine with an Auger that was too large for the housing so you will need to either waste 2 hours of filing or use a Dremel to shave at lease a 1/4" or more from the bottom part of the housing. The motor ran ok but I think for a Briggs and Stratton machine it should run smother and not feel like it wants to jump off of the frame.

If you are going to buy this machine and you end up getting one with the Auger to big for the housing, do yourself a favor and don't fill the engine with oil or gas. You will have to tilt the machine back to grind or file down the plastic housing and when you right the machine and start it it will blow out dark clouds of oil for a few minutes if you pre filled it. The easiest way to see if the Auger Blade is going to hit the housing; with the engine OFF and the spark plug disconnected turn the Auger by hand one full revolution and you will be able to clearly see and hear if the center paddle hits the bottom of the housing.

For what its worth the machine did start right up on the first pull. If you don't feel like reading the directions just know that it only takes 2 pushes to inject the gas into the carb and off you go.................But you should really read the manual before operating any new machine.

Last thoughts? It's not worth what they're asking for the machine because of the likely drama that will ensue once you take it out of the box...............For a $400.00 dollar price tag it should be no muss, no fuss..............

I'll let you know in the Winter how it throws snow.
on January 12, 2014
[different seller but same machine] update May 2014 -- after months and months of trying to resolve, Briggs & Stratton (the engine manufacturer) refused to honor warranty - since not much I can do as one individual I took a total loss and will look for another from a different mfg'er. - buyer beware this was an expensive lesson in the absolutely "^&*&%%(" customer service and warranty from any mfg'er. EVER!

[earlier post] currently trying to resolve under warranty with Murray (manufacturer), Briggs & Stratton (the engine manufacturer) and the service shop - none are willing to take any responsibility whatsoever and I can tell you this will be the very last power tool/machine purchase I make on Amazon from Murray or its affiliate companies or anything that has a Briggs & Stratton engine on it - they are clearly lacking in any quality assurance whatsoever and refuse to honor their warranties which makes them useless - so very disappointed I can't even tell you - $400 of junk sitting in my garage ... shame on all of you Amazon, Murray and Briggs & Stratton - next time it's Home Depot or Lowe's for someone who stands behind their merchandise
on January 9, 2014
This is a medium duty machine, and for that, it is good and a good value. I bought mine in 2011, and as long as I treat it right (i.e. add oil when needed, use fresh gas), it has always started on the first or second pull. We had two recent storms which demonstrated the good and bad about this machine. One storm was 5-6 inches of snow followed by some rain. The machine really struggled to move the snow. Hard to push, could not throw the snow more than a few feet. Wished I had a monster machine, but eventually got the job done and still way better than shoveling. The next storm was 8-10 of very light snow. Worked great, even on the 3 feet at the end of the driveway. Mine never had the problems with the paddles hitting the housing. As far as the plastic body, I have no problem with it. I've had to replace a few lawnmowers which rusted through.
on January 3, 2013
I will start by saying that i got this for just under $200. My review is based on this price point.
This thing is great. I like that you do not have to mix the gas and the oil, they both have separate reservoirs. It also comes with it's first container of oil, so you only need to worry about having gas in the garage for first use.
It was easy to assemble. We just had to attach the handle and the auger.
It fired right up on first try.
The auger works great! (we did not have the mobility issues other reviewers state having)
I will say that this is a bit loud. I think it's the rubber paddles slapping the cement under the snow that causes all of the noise, but it's not any louder than i think it should be.
it throws the snow far and gets the job done quickly.
This is much better than an electric snow blower. it was absolutely worth what i paid (at the amazing steal i got it at!) and even a little more.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2013
There seems to be a wide range of reviews on this one - some love it, some have nothing but problems.

I bought it nearly two years ago in anticipation of snow in 2011 and 2012. I'd spend so much time the previous years shoveling and needed a break. I'd used it once or twice previously for some very minor snow (just to say I'd used it) but this past week I actually got to break it out and save myself some work.

First off, it's tiny and easy to store and move - no larger than a regular push mower. For something that for 360 days of the year is going to be sitting in your garage that's a plus. If you live somewhere with more snow than that, you should probably buy something larger and more powerful. That being said, this unit could easily move the 4-5 inches of wet snow. To be sure not to overload it I did make sure to get out early and do a first run to remove the first few inches of wet slush before several more inches of snow piled on. With that amount of snow you can move as fast as you can walk without bogging down. With this strategy I was able to keep my driveway and sidewalks clear with just two runs. Depending on the speed and timing of the snow this may not work for all storms.

The wheels in the back don't provide a lot of traction, so it can slide around a bit. This is really my only complaint about the unit, and it's some thing I'm going to look at and may attempt to replace them with something else.

I'm sure to start it up every once in a while and don't store gas in it most of the time so I've never had a problem starting it.

Overall, I think it's a good unit if you need this level of blower. Be realistic about how much snow you get, and how quickly you need to move it. For a few hundred dollars more you can get something much more powerful and if you need it you should. You don't buy a push mower to clear 2 acres of brush.

I haven't had any of the auger, or cable problems that others reference. This may be the luck of the draw.
on February 22, 2013
I bought this product 6 years ago and live in Missouri so it gets used maybe twice a year if that. The auger "bearing" (replace side pieces @ 28.00+ a side)on the left side is plastic and wears quickly if anything gets sucked up on the rotating assembly. I have had to replace the chute ring every year (25.00) because the vibration of the machine breaks it. I have had to replace the Auger housing assembly because the chute ring lip broke (almost 100.00), another $50.00+ to replace the auger drive cable and tensioner, and another $30.00+ to replace the paddles and buy nuts and bolts to install. All the plastic on this machine wears extremely fast so my advice buy an all metal one because I spend on average $50+ a year (doesn't include my instillation time)to repair this machine the only bright spot is the engine starts easy and runs well. Pony up the extra few bucks to get a quality machine.

See 1 answered question