Murrays Revenge
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$19.50+$3.99shipping

on April 30, 2006
First of all, if you're expecting another 'Murs 3:16' going into this album, you WILL be dissapointed. 'Murray's Revenge' is another dope release from one of my favorite producers, 9th Wonder, and one of the best MCs in the game, Murs...but it's no 3:16.

9th provides all of the production here, and he does a great job as usual. But, some of the beats are lacking the punch he had on Murs 3:16. I mean, he provides some great musical highlights on the album ('Murs Day', 'Silly Girl', 'Yesterday, Today', 'D.S.W.G.', etc...), but I can't help but feel he could have done a better job on some of the production here. As we've all come to expect from 9th, all of the beats are sample driven, and there are definately some dope samples here. But 9th flipped some extrordinary samples on 3:16, and the fact that we KNOW he can flip samples like that makes the beats here seem a bit lacking.

9th might have been a bit lazier this time around, but Murs still comes strong on the mic. Murs is always someone you can count on for interesting subject matter, and great execution with it. As with 3:16, he has his surplus of songs about women on this album ('Silly Girl', 'Love And Appreciate', 'D.S.W.G.'), and they generally come out very well. The rest of the songs are all about various subjects, and Murs executes well on each one of them. He also comes with his usual flow, which I really enjoy. If you're a fan of Murs, or even a fan of good MC's, you'll definately like the lyrical aspect of this album.

Really the only negatives with this album is that 9th slacked a bit on the production end, it's worse than 3:16 (regression isn't a good thing), and it's too short (32 minutes...but 3:16 was 35 minutes, so you can see this isn't a big issue). The positives easily outweight the negatives here, and it's worth the purchase for any fan of Murs and/or 9th Wonder.

Top 5 Songs (In Order):

1. D.S.W.G. (Dark Skinned White Girls) - Love the beat, and Murs provides us with a very amusing song in the vein of 3:16

2. Murs Day - My favorite beat on the album, and while it's only 1:54, it's a dope track

3. Barbershop (Featuring Big Pooh) - Very nice track, Murs really needs to make an appearance on the next Little Brother album

4. Silly Girl (Featuring Joe Scudda) - Another song that sounds like it could have been on 3:16. 9th provides a great sample here, and Murs & Joe Scudda (from Little Brother's 'Lovin It') deliver well.

5. Yesterday, Today - I don't think it's a coincidence that all the songs appearing here had the best had the best samples on the album - this song is no exception

Worst Track:

Murray's Law - This was a pretty good song, but the production was lackluster for a 9th Wonder track, and every other track on here is a step above it.

Lyrics/Substance/Subject Matter - 8.5/10

Flow/Delivery - 8.5/10

Production - 8/10

Overall Feel - 7.5/10

Guest Apperances - Joe Scudda, Big Pooh - 7/10 - Both contribute well to 2 of the best songs on the album, but they're not pivotal to the overall product

Overall Rating - 8/10 - It's not as good as 3:16, but it's worth the money. Looking forward to their next project.
on March 23, 2006
10 songs. None of them are whack.

Solid. I have no other agenda than to recognize this album for what it is. Unlike some of the previous hate/crotchriding reviews that have been posted. Though, I must say, I REALLY enjoy murs as an emcee on all of his albums. I personally feel that 9th Wonder is a bit overrated but the beats on this album were certainly strong. Murs is his same ol' self. He's got that whole 'average guy' steez goin' for him and it works. My favorite tracks are the Murs Day intro, Murray's Law, Silly Girl, Barbershop, Yesterday & Today, Dreamchaser, L.A., Love & Appreciate, D.S.W.G., and Murray's Revenge. Do you get the point? THEY'RE ALL SOLID. I feel the album is short due to 9th's somewhat repetitive production but it's just the right length considering that factor. Worth the money.
on March 22, 2006
Not as good as it could/should be.

i don't even have to say it no more cuz other reviews already

stated what i wated to say.

it's a good album, but a huge disappointment compared to

Murs 3:16 9th edition.
on April 7, 2006
I've been waiting for this cd to drop for months now after reading that Murs and 9th Wonder were going to make part II due to the success of 3:16.

As usual, Murs does his thing here. Lyrically I've never been disappointed with Murs, and I own 4 of his cd's. This one is no exception...

Silly girl is a hysterical track about girls who play games. More specifically it is about girls who make hard to get seem more like mission impossible, before eventually breaking down. Dreamchaser is the highlight of the cd. Murs spits two verses about how growing up these days is a lot different than it used to be, and 9th kills the beat. LA is a great track that breaks down Los Angeles. DSWG is a very positive track about girls who struggle with their identity, and Murray's revenge is worth mentioning as well.

I have to say that overall I was a little disappointed with this cd though. Don't get me wrong it is worthy of 4 stars, but I was hoping for the classic cd this duo is capable of creating. The main problem with this cd, as previously mentioned, is the production. 9th laces Dreamchaser and DSWG, but a lot of the beats on this cd are repetitive and a little bit boring.

I like this cd, but it should have been better.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like most people, I heard Murs and 9th were dropping another album and I circled the release date on my calender. After an excellent release back in 2004, I expected this album to be just as good or better. 3:16 The 9th Edition was one of the best releases of 2004, but I can't say that Murray's Revenge is going to be one of the best '06 releases. There are some strong cuts though. Tracks like "Dreamchasers", "Love & Appreciate", "Yesterday", and "Dark Skinned White Girls" are definitely tight. The good songs have mellow, neck jerking beats all supplied by the 9th Wonder of the world. There are only 10 tracks, so most of the album is solid.

There are a few things wrong with this album. If you have enough Justus League albums, then you know every now and then 9th will produce a boring cut or two. The beats here don't shift gears and they become sort of boring after a while. There's nothing (production wise or lyrically) on the level of "Walk Like A Man" or "And This Is For..." (well, "Dark Skinned White Girls" is probably on that level) from the 3:16 album. Also, "L.A." falls under skip material for this listener. To top it all off, I'm still on my Joe Scudda boycott, so I was less than pleased to see his name on the album. Dude is garbage and he totally ruins "Sillygirl" (which is a good song otherwise). Hell, Big Pooh is weak too, but at least he's tolerable on "Barbershop" (despite his ad-libbing and corny jokes at the end of the song). Thank goodness Murs only has two guest spots on the album.

If you're expecting something on the level of Murs 3:16 then you're in for a bit of a letdown, but when graded on its own, Murray's Revenge is still a solid album. Despite a lack of variety on the production side, the solid songs are good enough to make getting this a good idea. There's nothing on it that will blow your socks off, but you won't be mad you bought it either. It's worth checking out, just don't expect to be amazed by it.

Standout Tracks: Murray's Revenge (The End), Dreamchasers, Murray's Law, Dark Skinned White Girls, Yesterday, and Love & Appreciate
on March 23, 2006
In 2004 Murs was in his prime with the 1st 9th Edition album and the fact that I am a fan of Murs I was highly anticipating the Murs Revenge Album. Murray's Revenge wasn't a bad album but it comes nothing close to the level 3:16, in my opinion like others have stated, some parts of 9th Wonder's production got a little too repeatitive due to the sampled vocals that were kind of overdone but it does still pull through as a decent album.

1.Intro/"Murs Day"- I like the way Murs does his intros he still maintains that sense of humor we always see from him. Highlight lyrics: "The one chosen,To break the ice that has the rap world frozen" 9th came well with production on this (5/5)

2.Murray's Law- He trash talks about the people who oppose him and talks about how he loves being himself its a decent track but the guy talking sort of tunes you out sometimes(4/5)

3.Silly Girl- Another one of many Murs women relationship tracks. The voice sample from the lady is pretty awesome. Murs came well with the delivery and his usual good story telling. Joe Scuddas verse alright. The hook wasn't appealing to me though (3/5)

4.Barbershop- Now this a good track if you relate to the Barber scene a lot. Murs came well with the barbershop ideals like talking about the rules of a barbershop, the talks about sports, men stuff and etcetra. He provided the immagery real well. Big Pooh was alright for some reason he just didn't stand out that much on the track (3/5)

5.Yesterday- The production on this track fit the mood. Murs tells stories about the obstacles and struggles in his past and ends up talking about his endeavors to move forward and accomplish things with his life. This a track everyone can relate too.(5/5)

6.Dream Chasers- Another conceptual track from Murs. A track about the street violence going on and how it results to many kids suffering that are infatuated with the thug life. Murs advises on how people need to move forward pursue their real dreams.(5/5)

7.L.A.-I dunno in my opinion I thought the production on this track wasn't really that great. I think Murs could of described L.A. a little better but he still held his own. (2/5)

8.Love & Appreciate- This is relevant to the And this is for track. It's hard to describe but its one of the must hear tracks on this album

9.Dark Skin White Girls- Another must hear track. Murs blew me away with this track how he provides the immagery of Bi-racial women,Black women, or anyone type of Ethnic women who get caught between the struggles of acceptance by Racial Cliques. Highlight line: "Everywhere you go it always "what's your nationality?" everyone is always diggin in your background "oh you don't look--" Now how does that sound? "I couldn't tell you were--" Must hear track.

10. Murrays Revenge (The End)- A real decent closing track.

Overall the album was great, but its like I said nothing close to 3:16. But it's a good album to cop regardless.
on November 5, 2006
Im a fan of Murs, and the Liv.Leg. Crew, but i ended up just skipping tracks until the album ended, nothing bad about the guy, Murs is off the chain, but i felt like i wasted 10 yucks, for instance the song about white girls acting black, i just couldnt listen....peace to you..
on October 10, 2006
This is one of the greatest hip hop albums I've ever listened to. In my opinion, Murs has never sounded so good. His flows are vivid and realistic and the production fitted them to the Tee. I thought every song was extremely dope. I highly recommend this in your collection. I know this review will not make me popular w/many but I have to write it how I honestly feel. Save the negative remarks for someone who cares. I know Murs is not the best MC of all time. I'm not sayin that. He's far from it. I'm sayin this is my 2nd favorite album of all time simply for the overall feelings I get from it every time I put it on. I'm sure if you want some heart-felt/feel-good Hip Hop music this will suit you. Peace
on April 15, 2006
Ill make it simple, Murs is the best rapper still rapping today. There is no other rapper who can tell a great story over a beat while flipping rhymes that make you grab your ipod and rewind it so you can hear him say it again.

Teaming up with 9th Wonder only strengthens his point by adding some great soul laced beats to boot. But as far as the album goes it has the same flaw as the one before it, the lack of songs. 10 isnt quite enough, but atleast every single one has a great beat and great lyrical content. The bottom line is that if you liked Murs 3:16, then i find it difficult to think of someone who wouldn't enjoy this album.
on March 22, 2006
2ND Installment to the Murs 3:16 series, Now we have Murrays Revenge. This CD is nice thoughtout just like the first one. No fast fowards on this CD. Each track is done with precision. We need to get 9th Wonder and Jean Grae back in the studio as well.