*UPDATED!*

Published on May 29, 2012 by Ciaran

2.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great drive, for a little while at least.
Purchased in Jan 2013, failed in Sep 2013. Now let's see how well the 3 year warranty actually works and how much time, effort, & money this takes to correct. What a joke!
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An in-depth review of an excellent drive (+OSX Instructions)!, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR240GB) (Personal Computers)
*UPDATED!*

With an aging Apple MacBook 5,1 Aluminum, I knew it was time for a hard-drive upgrade. I was already maxed out on RAM (8GB), and space wasn't an issue (Hard Drive Caddy with Samsung SpinPoint 1 TB)...I knew that an SSD was the last upgrade I could perform for a speed boost before biting the bullet and upgrading! Now I have owned one SSD drive in the past; a SAMSUNG 830 Serieswhich set the bar very high for my expectations of this drive, both in quality and speed. I have used Mushkin PSUs and RAM in the past and had always liked the performance vs. price ratio...I hoped their SSDs would not disappoint. I opted for the "budget" non-deluxe version, for no other reason than the deluxe was out of stock when I was ready to buy. Hopefully this (first) review will help others out there to make their decisions!

IN THE BOX
----------
- Mushkin 240GB SSD Drive
- 3.5" Adapter Bracket
- Instructions
- DVD Media

FEATURES (NEW USER FRIENDLY)
---------------------------
- SATA 3 Interface (full 6GB/s needs SATA3 port, but is backwards compatible)
- Sandforce Driven (Latest and fastest controller)
- TRIM Support (Allows OS to use empty space, reduces wear on drive)
- 2,000,000 hours MTBF (Operational life expectancy)
- Read Speed up to 560MB/s
- Write Speed up to 525MB/s
- 90,000 IOPS (Inputs/Outputs per second)
- Access time <0.1ms
- Asynchronous NAND Memory
- 150G Shock Resistance
- Three-year limited warranty

AESTHETICS
----------
The SSD is a really nice gunmetal gray - I can really appreciate the minimalistic design. If you are looking for something really flashy aesthetically (no pun intended), this isn't the SSD for you. That said, if performance trumps looks - keep reading!

REAL-LIFE PERFORMANCE
---------------------
After an easy fresh install and update of Lion OSX and the Adobe CS5.5 suite, I decided to put this SSD through its paces. Using real-world situations that I encounter multiple times on a daily basis, and armed with a (super-scientific) stopwatch, I decided to see what kind of speed increase I had just invested in. Both systems were fresh installs with over 80% of the HDD free, with minimal background processes. "Stock" refers to the stock Apple 5400RPM drive. (It is important to note that my macbook only has SATA2, and therefore some theoretical bottlenecking has occurred.) While the forthcoming tests are not scientific benchmarks, they represent the reality of my usage of my laptop, and I find them relevant (and I hope you do too)!

Test 1: Photoshop Filter
------------------------------------------------
I started with something easy - applying a noise-reducing filter to a RAW (16MB) photo.

Stock: 00:13.9s
SSD: 00:6.7s

I use Photoshop every day for work - this speed increase (at a ratio of 2-1) GREATLY improves my day to day workflow and is already giving me REAL-LIFE benefits, as supposed to theoretical benchmarks. Overall, this is where I am seeing the biggest useable speed increase - before my type tool (with over 2500 fonts) would take up to 30 seconds to load...now everything is extremely responsive and snappy!

Test 2: 500MB File Compression
-------------------------------------------------
Now to see how the SSD handles compressing large files! I compressed a 525MB file on my SSD using OSX's native compression utility from the Finder menu.

Stock: 00:48.9s
SSD: 00:020:7s

This is MORE than satisfactory in my eyes, and falls in line with the SSD being about twice as fast as my stock drive. I know this isn't the fastest transfer time around, but is is very decent for a sub-$200 240GB SSD!

Test 3: Startup Time
------------------------------------------------
I didn't include this test when I did a review of my Samsung SSD - I was on OSX Snow Leopard, and the startup time was reasonable to the point of not caring about the extra few seconds an SSD provided. With Lion, however, I have seen an INSANE increase in start-up time on my macbook - something I am not too pleased about. I decided to see just how much the SSD improved on this sad reality. Test was started at the pressing of the power button, and ended when the desktop was useable.

Stock: 03:44.1s (You read that right...almost four MINUTES.)
SSD: 00:45:7s

The fact that I just took three minutes off of my boot time is amazing to me. I rarely turn off my computer, so this won't change my life per se, but it is very nice to know that if and when I do, I won't be sitting around making coffee while I wait for my laptop to play catch up!

OVERALL
-------
I am incredibly pleased with this drive so far. The speed is fantastic, and from reviews across the web it seems that the reliability is there. Mushkin waited almost two years to introduce their first SSD, and I am so glad they took time to perfect it! This is one of the (if not THE) cheapest 240GB SSD on the market, and yet it benchmarks on Tom's hardware in the top 70th percentile of SSDs on the market. Given the low price, the fast performance and the (so far) great reliability, I can recommend this SSD without reservation! It is an EXCELLENT way to give an older laptop a speed boost, or turbo-charge a newer one!

Instructions for enabling TRIM in OSX can be found at WhatTheTech.info under OS, iOS and Software

*UPDATE*
Well, I have had this drive for 7+ months. It was transferred out of my Macbook, and into a new desktop that I set up, triple booting OSX (hackintosh), Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Being a computer that I use for 7-8 hours per day almost every day, it has really been put through its paces. I am constantly reading and writing to it. With TRIM enabled, I have not noticed and slow-down in performance whatsoever and my initial impressions have only been confirmed: it really is a fantastic drive, and has proven to be not only speedy, but also very durable! I know that there are new SSDs coming out on a near-monthly basis, however at a price well below $1/GB this is still a great contender in the field. Still, highly recommended without reservation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SSD for a Low Price, June 16, 2012
This is my second SSD.
Before I had an OCZ, which I phased out as it was only a 120GB drive.
I considered buying another OCZ, but decided against it, due to many negative reviews.
This Mushkin SSD is great, it's super fast, and I have yet to experience any problem with it what-so-ever.
Seeing as it is one of the cheapest 240GB SATA3 SSDs available, I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SDD, August 4, 2012
Pros:
Check for Bios: 10 seconds
Grub: 5 seconds (programmed)
Grub -> to load Fedora Linux: 2 seconds (more or less)
Loading fedora: 5 seconds

System ready (more or less), total time: 22 seconds

Cons:
I found some bad sectors.

I requested replacement.

In general, the SSD is excellent, very fast. I think you should check the disk before using it to find bad sectors. For Fedora / Ubuntu or GNU in general can use the Disk tool that comes in all Linux distributions.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, February 16, 2013
I installed Windows 8 fresh on this drive and has been working great for the short time that I've had it. Same computer but order of magnitude quicker (so it seems). I took some advice and got a less expensive drive over something that might get better performance numbers in benchmarks. I also went with the 240 GB which is really a 256 with 16 set aside. I guess that saved me a step or two in configuring it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great drive, for a little while at least., September 6, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Mushkin Chronose MKNSSDCR240GB, February 16, 2013
Fast Read and Write speeds. Great Warrenty. Great price. WEI score is 7.9

Con is that it will only read 223gb of space. I want my 17gb. Thats a lot of missing space! I guess I could Disable Hibernate and get 16gb of it back.

ATTO Disk Benchmarks @ 554 Read and 511 Write.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT DO BUSINESS WITH MUSHKIN!, March 12, 2014
I've had to RMA these drive(s) twice now. I provided proof of purchase, and my information on the 1st RMA. Yet, Mushkin wants proof of purchase again, even though, they already have my information, I know this because one of their employees mistakenly verified my old address over the phone. They do this is so they don't have to RMA your products, had you not kept your receipt. Luckily, I bought through Newegg.com, and they keep extensive records and provide stellar service.

Upon my 2nd RMA with Mushkin, they sent my drive(s) to the wrong address. They made no attempt to contact me, or let me know what had happened. So, two weeks later. When I could actually get someone to return my emails and phone calls. They agreed to upgrade my drive(s). They offered to pay shipping, and overnight my drives due to them making the mistake.

Three days later, no drives, no call from Mushkin. I called to ask what was going on and I spoke to an incredibly rude, terse, and outright ghetto individual by the name of Briana Wallace. Briana very snidely assured me that they never agreed to upgrade my drives, and that their was nothing in their notes to reflect an upgrade. Briana also informed me that they had overnighted my drives three days ago, but they’re not going to arrive for another two days. So, a total of 5 days.

I've asked to have a manager call me post haste, currently pending, and patiently awaiting his/her phone call. I seriously doubt, I’ll get a call from a manager if I get a call at all.

This company is totally unscrupulous, they count on you loosing your receipts, so they don't have to honor their warranty process. They don't return your phone calls and emails within a timely manner. Their employees are very rude and combative. They'll outright lie to you, so make so you record all of your emails and, if possible, your phone calls with them.

If I could give anyone any advice at all; DONT DO BUSINESS WITH MUSHKIN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast SSD, January 9, 2013
The disc is amazing fast. I'm using it as my disk for the operating systems and I can see the difference compared to my old hard hdd.

Very recommended indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars the drive goes bad after 1.5 years, December 18, 2013
Used as the main drive in Windows OS. starting getting bad after 1.5 year.
Active rate hanging at 100%; bad sectors showing up; data loss....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SSD for the price, May 15, 2014
Read/Write are awesome depending on controller. The price when purchased was very good for the 240 GB. My SSD is faster than your HDD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›