Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

on April 10, 2012
Edit: this was a great drive a year ago for <$180, but its been superseded by a number of drives for much less money. I've picked up several drives like the Intel 530, Seagate 600 and others in the <$130 range. Mushkin needs to drop the price on this drive about $30 and warm over the content a little. The controller is still good but there are better, and nand has also changed a bit in the last year.
=============

Solid state disk drives have 4 defining characteristics. Its interface with the computer which limits what speeds it can attain in the real world, the type of controller chip used in the SSD, the type of memory or 'nand' and the firmware. The firmware is software that is loaded onto the SSD and used by the controller chip to manage the storage device.

This particular drive can use "Sata III" which allows for properly equipped computers to send data at up to 6Gb/s. If your computer uses Sata II or Sata I (it'd be pretty old to be the latter), you top out at 3 and 1.5Gb/s respectively.

Only the very fastest tiers of solid state drives can saturate more than Sata II, and you'd have to be doing some serious stuff on a sustained basis to make good use of the 6Gb/s, so for most purposes it suffices to say that this drive will throw more data at your computer than it can reasonably handle.

The controller is a Sanforce 2200 series. This is a very powerful and advanced controller, but its suffered from being released early by many eager SSD providers putting it on the market before the firmware had all of the problems worked out. As a result a number of drives with these controllers lost customer data and crashed systems. The current firmware release, just dropped a short time ago by many manufacturers, seems to have all of these problems worked out. There are a few products that suffer from manufacturing issues that affect reliability, but this is not one of them.

As far as type of memory, there is 'toggle nand', synchronous and asynchronous, with varying speed tiers within type. Toggle is fastest in general, then sync, then async. But some fast sync drives can approach toggle speeds and some async drives can approach sync speeds.

Firmware is the crucial element. Well tested and researched firmware means reliability and performance. Many of the more popular drives go through dozens of firmware revisions every year, most bringing reliability and performance improvements.

According to Toms Hardware SSD hierarchy chart, this is a tier 1 drive with toggle nand, the fast 2200 series sandforce controller and pretty reliable firmware. This is one of the 2-3 fastest drives on the market and with the current firmware it may be the fastest. It offers excellent performance at a reasonable price point on sale recently with excellent reliability. And like all recent SSD's, it offers silence, no moving parts, and ridiculously fast random access to your data. Put it in an older computer and it feels like its gotten faster and newer. Put it in a new computer and it'll fly. Your statup, shutdown, program load and general usage will seem as much as twice as fast. Even opening a browser with 15 tabs takes me half as much time with an SSD as a hard drive.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2011
There is an obvious reason why this item is constantly out of stock, it rocks !!!
I installed it in my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 following these steps:

1.-I connected the SSD to my Windows PC and upgraded it to the latest firmware.
2.-Opened the Macbook and physically extracted the old HD and replaced it with the SSD.
3.-Reseted the PRAM and NVRAM, instructions here:[...]
4.-Installed Mac OS X Lion 10.7
5.-Loaded any available updates (10.7.1 and security patches)
6.-Performed the following optimizations: set hibernate mode to 0, disable hard drive sleep, disable sudden motion sensor and disable noatime.
This optimizations are further explained here:[...]
7.-Please notice that its not recommended to activate TRIM on SandForce controlled drives since people have reported experiencing compatibility issues. TRIM is no longer a must for SandForce controlled drives, so forget about it.

This drive runs 6 times faster than the Apple OEM HD and now my total Xbench score has more than doubled.
I have been using it for 3 days now and its running super fast and with no compatibility issues of any kind so far.

Advantages:
- Fast SATA 3 speeds
- Increased battery life (from 8 to 10 hours).
- Mac compatible
- Mushkin quality USA assembled
- Cheaper than the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS

The only cons are:
- It is so good, that you will have a very hard time finding it in stock.

* UPDATE: Its been two weeks now, everything is as good as day one.
* NEW UPDATE (Jan-2012): Everything is still working great and I am very happy with the drive.

**** I did a fresh install from the very first beginning. I believe that if you have a hdd and clone it to an ssd will fail for sure, hardware is absolutely very different and event though the procedure is possible from some available software, the software does not take into account the difference in the hardware of the two drives.
It's almost a sure inconsistent drive if cloned. If your lack of expertise gave you bad results you should not hurt the product rating !!!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2011
I've had this drive for 1-1/2 months and it works great. Fast and stable, have had no problems yet. Came with the latest firmware installed. Setup was pretty easy. Used EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition for setup,(free from the web), as another review stated and everything went great!
on July 16, 2012
I am very impressed with this SSD. It is fast and value for money. I tested it using PerformanceTest 7.0 and here are the results. I bought it for $199.99 on June 21, 2012. It costs $248.92 as of 13 Aug, 2012. WTF.

--PerformanceTest 7.0 --
Sequential Read: 453.4 MBytes/Sec
Sequential Write: 300 MBytes/Sec
Random Seek + RW: 434.9 MBytes/Sec

Disk Mark: 4297.4

(Sorry for the underscore, Amazon dont keep the formatting. Written review and preview do not have the same format.)

-- ATTO Disk Benchmark --
___1024.0____________532.874___________552.841
___2048.0____________531.555___________557.948
___4096.0____________531.555___________557.948
___8192.0____________530.971___________557.948

Amazing speed. Value for money. 240GB is enough for my programs and games. Very satisfied.
on April 24, 2013
One star off because I got a unit that failed 40 days after purchase. Another star off because Mushkin RMA process requires you to pay for return shipping, despite it clearly being a manufacturing defect.
on October 10, 2013
at first i installed it in my notebook (HP Probook 4540s) there was a great speed, windows was installed very quickly, drivers was loaded well, but then ..... came troubles. appeared blue screen! after some restarts my notebook ssd was lost! after scan ( integrated HP utilites) it found BAD SECTORS! a new mushkin ssd has a BAD SECTORS!!! i'm very, very dissapointed!
on November 7, 2011
I'm a long time Mushkin customer from back when CL2 DDR ram was screaming hot so when I saw they had a line of SSDs I decided to go with them over one of the other competitors.

I've had my drive for about a week and I have already decided to go ahead and get another one. I didn't get the last one through Amazon though in retrospect I could have.

I'm seeing burst reads of >250MB over SATA3 am extremely pleased. I've moved my page file off my Raptor 150 and have turned off ReadyBoost to see if I see any changes. Obviously I would like to see the price go lower but in terms of satisfaction, I WOULD buy again...and will soon.
on January 11, 2014
The first unit I got would work sporadically, and often hang my computer as it would get stuck completing some operation. I contacted their support and they helped me get a replacement unit, but the replacement didn't fare much better. It seemed to work fine for a while, before starting to flake out again, and finally gave up and died completely. I'm currently trying to get a refund but I fear that they will insist on only sending out replacements.

Beware of this one: not only will it waste your money, but it will waste your time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2013
So, first off, i will mention that this drive is indeed very fast! Windows Experience Index for windows 7 was 7.9, bumped up to 8.1 on windows 8. In my build with an FX-series processor, i can install drivers and updates super fast. Took an hour to upgrade my laptop, took ten minutes on this thing. Like i said, ridiculously fast with a fair amount of storage.

CAUTION!
So, one problem i have had with this drive, is every so often the drive will disappear from my computer. Isn't read in the BIOS or in windows. Only happened a couple times, but all i had to do was reset the BIOS and it came right back. Its happened three times since i purchased it about 8-9 months ago. Kind of a pain to figure out, but really easy once i figured out what to do, so if you have a similar problem, just reset the BIOS and it may come right back. (PS. this happened once when the drive was in my laptop and the last two in my desktop so i know its not the motherboard going weird.)

Im still giving it five stars because it works quick and great, with minor setbacks. I definitely recommend getting one if you have the money. 60 bucks cheaper than when i bought it which is awesome!

*Updated* - 3/14/13 - So, in the last couple weeks the drive finally wouldnt keep itself together for longer than 24 hrs. I called up Mushkin to see what they could do and they just told me to send it in and theyd replace it. Sent it in at a personal cost of 8 bucks(not bad at all-wish it was free). Once it arrived, they shipped the new drive out to me and had it to me in less that 10 days. Very effective and was very easy. Their customer support was very good, although i did get the same guy on the phone three times in a row so i dont think theyre all that big. Anyways, I gave it a five star review before and its still five star now.

*Updated* - 11/2/13 - Eight months later, still running like a champ.
on January 7, 2013
Let me start off by saying I'm not a tech-savvy individual. Although I put together my custom rig on my own, it was pretty much a color-coded, connect the dots kind of thing. If you played with Legos as a kid, you can build your own custom rig.

With that said, I'm not going to throw out too many numbers out there comparing this SSD and another. This goes out to anyone thinking whether it's worth it to upgrade from a large capacity, traditional spinning disc to a smaller hard drive with non-moving parts: DO IT. Windows and programs boot and start up fast; boot time for windows takes mere seconds to go from the BIOS screen to seeing your desktop unfold in front of you, and virtually no lag when you open a program. System shut down also takes seconds, and computer temp doesn't feel as hot as it used to when I was running a 5400rpm disc.

The smaller capacity doesn't hinder me at all. In fact, I'm more aware of the programs and other things I put in there than when I was working with the 1TB HDD (I live a cluttered life). If need be, you can always have a separate HDD handy to store large media files such as video, music, photos, or some programs, or better yet, have two SDDs in your setup. You don't even have to defragment the drive; no movable disc = nothing do defrag.

All-in-all, this SDD did everything I read it would do. It made my custom rig faster than I thought it could ever do. Although it does come with a 3.5" bracket, you don't really need it if you don't have much space. You can basically just tape it on the side of your case and it would run just fine. It seems to have a brushed metal housing sturdy enough to withhold certain abuse, but you probably won't (or won't be able to do) that with a custom rig anyway. I chose to opt out cloning my hard drive and just did a fresh Windows install. Just set aside an afternoon/evening to reinstall/transfer everything from your HDD.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Great value + great product = me -> ^.^