Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 16, 2005
I've read some of the reviews that are dogging on such a mainstream show insincerely showcasing the indie scene. I've actually been to L.A., met Josh Schwartz, and I can honestly say that for the most part, he's very sincere. The guys about 26, and Adam Brody's character is modeled very much after himself, including his love for indie music. My cousin worked on the set for the entire first season, and says the same thing.

As far at the album, and my opinion of it, I would have bought the entire album for the Reindeer Section's contribution. I wrote my first music review on that song, and it landed me the job.

Even if you can't stand this show, this album is worth a listen.
Personally speaking, I've never watched "The O.C.," the teen soap opera that follows the beautiful, monied inhabitants of Orange County. I'm more likely to be on a Hawaiian island, getting "Lost."

But even people who don't like "The O.C." have to admit that the hit series has done a wonderful service for indie music. Rather than mining current pop hits, the soundtrack makes use of the vast indie rock world. And the fourth soundtrack shows that they're not running out of groups -- it uses everything from neo-folk to trip-pop.

Among the better known groups on here are the Futureheads' energetic driven rock, Beck's melancholy lament, Pinback's medium-tempo pop with its stoned vocals, A.C. Newman's fuzzy piano pop, and Modest Mouse's twisting psychedelic tapestry. It's a credit to the people who selected this that they are apparently chosen for both catchiness AND quality.

But there are also lesser-known groups included here: Aqueduct provides an unmelodious (but strangely appealing) pop tune, Sufjan Stevens croons softly over his guitar, Bell X1 provides gentle piano-folk, and Matt Pond PA provides a rather lackluster finale.

The crowning jewels are probably the most underrated pop groups of today. One is Frou Frou's vocalist Imogen Heap, with the enchantingly sweet "Goodnight and Go." And Norwegian group Flunk gives us sparkling trip-folk with the delicate vocals -- not their best song, but still very pretty and airy.

Were it not for Matt Pond PA, this would probably be the ideal little mix CD, with both "big" indie bands and those that many people have never heard of, or at least never bothered to listen to. And this collection includes just about everything -- discordant rock to psychedelic grandeur to airy pop tunes. Some are catchy, some are gritty, but virtually all are wonderful.

Even if you've never visited "The O.C.," take a listen to the fourth soundtrack, and delve into some of the best music that MTV has never heard of. Well chosen.
on May 25, 2005
I am a large fan of The OC and every Thursday night I am watching the show. I used to think it was stupid until my girlfriend got me watching it and my friend let me borrow Season 1 on DVD and I was obsessed. The same friend also purchased this CD and let me borrow it and it is awesome! I love the music in The OC because I am into this type of music, like indie and emo, etc.

1. "Decent Days and Nights" by The Futureheads- 2.5/5

An alright start to the album, but nah, it's not the greatest song. Still decent though.

2. "Goodnight and Go" by Imogen Heap- 3.5/5

At first listen I thought it was too "pop" music sounding but now I like it a lot, it's catchy and nice to listen to.

3. "Fortress" by Pinback- 5/5

Probably my favourite on the album. It's an excellent song and I listen to it often, Pinback is a band worth looking at.

4. "On The Table" by A.C. Newman- 4/5

Good song, catchy, and one you can sing along to even on your first listen to it.

5. "To Be Alone With You" by Surfjan Stevens- 4/5

Soft, nice, and beautiful. A good OC song featured on a romance scene.

6. "Play" by Flunk- 3/5

Okay, the woman's voice is sort've drony, but worth a listen.

7. "Scarecrow" by Beck- 4.5/5

Excellent song, Beck is the man. I am a large fan of Beck and was happy to see a contribution by him on this album.

8. "The View" by Modest Mouse- 5/5

Another great song. Again, I am a large Modest Mouse fan and after seeing them live at the club on The OC, I was happy they received a spot on the album. A faster sort of a song.

9. "Hardcore Days and Softcore Nights" by Aqueduct- 3/5

A good song, but not a fan of the vocals on the song. Maybe after a few listens I might like this song more, because when it seems like a song that could take a few listens to enjoy.

10. "Cartwheels" by The Reindeer Section- 4/5

A happy, peaceful, relaxing song. Nice to sit back and listen to.

11. "Eve, The Apple of My Eye" by Bell X1- 5/5

Excellent song! At first I thought the vocals were that of Thom Yorke from Radiohead. Amazing job done on this song.

12. "Champagne Supernova" by matt pond PA- 4/5

An excellent cover of the Oasis masterpiece, although I like Oasis' version one million times better. matt pond PA did an excellent job.

All in all, a great album, it has it's ups and downs. If your a fan of indie/emo music, get this album. If your a g-unit rap-fan who likes The OC, don't get this album.

Seth would be proud.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2005
The fourth installment in a great series of indie-flavoured soundtracks, the OC: Mix 4 strongly reflects the way the show itself has been lately - a bit more sombre and mellowed out, where the parties don't seem to be quite as frequent, and when they are - they're disasters. While there are a number of excellent tracks on this album, I found it didn't quite live up to the other soundtracks, but still, its a great buy.

What I mentioned about the mellowness is true. Very few of the tracks channel any sort of get up and party emotion - although Futureheads "Decent Days and Nights" gets the album off to a rocking start, and Modest Mouse's "The View" is a bit more on the upbeat side.

Truth be told, what really stands out on this album are the slower, angst-ridden songs - of which there are plenty. "To Be Alone With You" is a very soft guitar number, "Cartwheels" is all about the dreamy harmonies, and "Eve, The Apple of My Eye" is a sweet Brit-pop esque rock ballad. "Play" by Flunk ups the count of women vocalists on this album to two, in a sorta psychadelic style. Matt Pond PA lends a somewhat uninspired but altogether enjoyable cover of Oasis' "Champagne Supernova" as the closing track, which fans of the show will remember played as Summer & Seth reunited.

The rest of the album is mostly mid-tempo rock/emo/alternative/indie tracks - with two particular shiners. Imogen Heap's "Say Goodnight and Go" is a nice electronica turn that hasn't been explored much yet on the OC soundtracks - and rivals her excellent track on the Garden State album as part of Frou Frou. "Fortress" by Pinback is also excellent, to the point where these guys have crossover options if they want.

All in all, this album is much more subdued, and doesn't offer quite as many 'gems' as the previous soundtracks - however, it is still a great addition to the OC collection, and even better, your music collection.
on April 20, 2005
Awsome cd,really like the added touch of Seths artwork on the cd cover etc :). Awsome cd great mix of rock, chill and lots of alternative artests. REALLY REALLY happy they brought out the Australian version with Evermores 'FOR ONE DAY', awsome song. For all over sea customers, try and get hold of the australian version of OC mix 4 it has the same 12 songs but with evermores song as a bonus. Well worth it!
on April 5, 2005
Get this for the Matt Pond Pa version of Champange Supernova, also Cartwheels by the Reindeer Section. Was hoping maybe to have enhanced with some scenes from the show but hey what can you do? Anyways pick this up.
on January 25, 2006
I don't watch the O.C. I have nothing against it, I just never seem to see it. But I always hear things about how good the music is, so I figured I'd check out this soundtrack.

Awesome. They put the kids in charge. Sufjan Stephens?? Matt Pond PA?? How did the hipsters land that job of Music Supervisor? However they did, we can be grateful.

Lots of times these days, the best place to hear and discover new great music is on TV shows and on Commercials (you know, besides the internet). I don't know when MTV is gonna catch on already!

In the meantime, soundtracks like this will have to pave the way. Next year's season, look out for Apollo Sunshine, School for the Dead, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and the Lucksmiths. I betcha.
on May 16, 2005
Mix 4 offers much of the same terrific music as the first two OC mixes. The songs are great for listening to while doing just about anything (entertaining, driving, working out, relaxing, etc.). I gave this CD four stars -- as opposed to the five stars I gave Mixes 1 & 2 -- only because I didn't find as many "WOW" tracks on this disc as I found on previous albums. Still, it certainly beats most commercial pop/alternative music that is available these days, and it will fill out your "OC" iPod playlist quite nicely.
on January 24, 2006
This mix was yet another success. But I have to admit, the first one is still the best. I also wish they had the song "The World at Large" by Modest Mouse. They did a great job putting that in when Marissa's dad leaves in episode 2.07 (The Family Ties). Other than that, this is another great album.